Clubplanet Nightlife Community

New York vs LA

nitro449

Originally posted by jersey77

If NY sucks then why do you LA people get all excited and make a big deal when OUR dj's go there and play for a night?

AMEN brother. You hit the nail right on the head! All of you LA kids who are bashing the NYC scene can just put a sock in it now. I've never even heard of any of the LA DJ's you mentioned. I'm no music expert, but I know when you say the names JP, Jr, DT, Baez, Boris and the like, people from all over know who they are and where they reside. I'm in NJ only 10 minutes outside NYC but I have lived in LA for 6 months. Had to come back because I couldn't deal with all of the wanna-be's. I mean DAMN, everywhere we went people would be scoping on our girls claiming to be "agents" or "photographers" or they have something to offer. It's a good thing that our girls were from the East coast and could see through all the BS that was being blown up their a@@. I loved the life in Woodland Hills. It was a beautiful place to live and hang. But the LA night life only caters to the "mentally challanged". By this I mean if you like being judged by how much money you have in your pocket and what you drove up in, than LA is for you. And most of the people I met in LA weren't even from LA. It's a bunch of tourists either on vacation or with pipe dreams of being a star. I've never seen so many girls willing to suck a D__K just for a few bucks or a chance to get on the screen. My buddy in LA actually had girls from agencies come to his house just to strip down naked while he took Polaroid pics of them! He wasn't a photographer, nor did he have any intensions of getting them published. He was just having some fun and the chicks did it for free! A bunch of brainwashed bimbo's. Hey it may have been your girlfriend.....

You just don't find this stuff in NYC. I find that people for the most part are true and do not judge by the wad in your pocket. And how dare you complain about J Peters playing too many pots and pans type music. Sound Factory is hands down the BEST club I've ever been too. It's the only place to carry a consistent crowd of locals who are true to the music and nightlife. It's the only club I know of that actually feels like it has a soul and is actually alive. JP can make it evil or happy at the flip of a record. You'll find everyone from those wearing Versace to Addidas sweats dancing their A@@'s off and having a great time. SF has an intense sound system and JP's ability to change from one night to the next is incredible. You never know what mood he'll be in and what kind of sets he'll play. If your not hard core about the clubs there are a ton of other venues like 151, Saci, Twirl, Vinyl, Limelight, etc. that are more loungy/club type places.

And who can list at least 3 clubs that have had any kind of substantial duration in LA. The clubs just don't last.

And I have to stand up for Tsettos. He may not be world renouned but you just try coming to Tempts in the summer and not danicing until your feet are blistered and raising your fists in the air because the mix's he is playing are so uplifting. And yes he did open Exit with Baez and it was phenominal. Name one LA club where you can get 6000 people on the dance floor from 1am to 10am!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, once again, these things that you speak of are totally subjective. Each city has it's positives and negatives, as does any city. Obviously you didn't stay out here long enough to get an idea of where to go, or where 'your' crowd would be. I've lived here for 6 years now, and I do see what you're talking about with LA being plastic and a lot of fake shit goes down, but there are great things about it too and if you don't go to those types of places, then you don't really see it. There is soo much more to this city than just the entertainment industry (even though that's the main source of our economy...and I do work in the industry, but just don't deal with all the BS that it looks scared you away).

The only dj's you mentioned that are worth a shit are DT and Jr. The others are all local's that have no flavor (once again, subjective and that's only my opinion). I've been to SF and couldn't stand it. Talk about cheese....and the music...horrible. Sweet, keep him in NYC...and also, what are you talking about "getting all excited when one of your dj's come out here? Who's come out here? People were stoked about DT, but that's because he hasn't been here in 10 years or so. The same would apply to anyone that never plays in LA. And as for never hearing of some of the LA dj's mentioned...you're right...obviously you don't know anything about music, especially if you're going to be as closed minded as you seem to be. In my opinion, it's good you went back to Jersey...one less of ya out here to bitch and moan about meaningless shit. Go hang at Tempts with Tsettos all you want next summer...that's where you belong. I love NYC and am looking forward to my next visit...but will not go see any of the dj's or clubs that you mentioned...there is soo much more to that city that has more flavor than the crap you just listed. I'd rather spend my time at Body and Soul with some people with soul than that commercial crap that JP plays to the wack ass crowd that goes.

I still can't believe you people are still jumping on our board bringing up this bullshit. Always peeps from Jersey too. Never a true NYer...they don't feel the need to argue about petty shit like this...especially now.

Who cares? It's not important, wether you like it here or there or anywhere. Your an American and that's your right. So be happy you have a choice and a place to live that allows expression. Live where you want to live it's the beauty of America.

Originally posted by k-holio

Who cares? It's not important, wether you like it here or there or anywhere. Your an American and that's your right. So be happy you have a choice and a place to live that allows expression. Live where you want to live it's the beauty of America.

exactly!!!! does it really matter whos better? we all enjoy pretty much the samethings here other wise we wouldnt be on this board, so is it really neccesary to argue about what city is better? especially with whats going on in the world today

• 2 weeks later...

There are two reasons why I think NYC's scene is better than LA's:

1. The International DJ's always come through NY so there is always someone great spinning during a given week. For example, Thanksgiving Eve has Danny Tenaglia, Sasha & Digweed, Richie Hawtin and Junior Vazquez all spinning during the same night at different places.

2. Clubs stay open much later.

3. Most people don't drive so getting around is much easier

4. There are more clubs.

5. Local NYC DJ's are significantly better like Danny T, Eric Morillo, Junior, Satoshi Tomiie, John Creamer.

I've lived in both and these are the reasons why NY is better than LA for clubbing. The only reason why some of you rip on the cheese that comes from NY is because there is such a wide selection of genres to choose from and NY happens to have some of the best places to go if you like them.

I see you have learned nothing from this.

It does not matter which is better. We as Americans should celebrate that we have these difference in geography and cultural not debate who is better. So please stop posting on it and making it in issue. We here in LA would like this disscuison to cease.

Thank you,

Citizen of America

Originally posted by robbhammer

AMEN brother. You hit the nail right on the head! All of you LA kids who are bashing the NYC scene can just put a sock in it now. I've never even heard of any of the LA DJ's you mentioned. I'm no music expert, but I know when you say the names JP, Jr, DT, Baez, Boris and the like, people from all over know who they are and where they reside. I'm in NJ only 10 minutes outside NYC but I have lived in LA for 6 months. Had to come back because I couldn't deal with all of the wanna-be's. I mean DAMN, everywhere we went people would be scoping on our girls claiming to be "agents" or "photographers" or they have something to offer. It's a good thing that our girls were from the East coast and could see through all the BS that was being blown up their a@@. I loved the life in Woodland Hills. It was a beautiful place to live and hang. But the LA night life only caters to the "mentally challanged". By this I mean if you like being judged by how much money you have in your pocket and what you drove up in, than LA is for you. And most of the people I met in LA weren't even from LA. It's a bunch of tourists either on vacation or with pipe dreams of being a star. I've never seen so many girls willing to suck a D__K just for a few bucks or a chance to get on the screen. My buddy in LA actually had girls from agencies come to his house just to strip down naked while he took Polaroid pics of them! He wasn't a photographer, nor did he have any intensions of getting them published. He was just having some fun and the chicks did it for free! A bunch of brainwashed bimbo's. Hey it may have been your girlfriend.....

You just don't find this stuff in NYC. I find that people for the most part are true and do not judge by the wad in your pocket. And how dare you complain about J Peters playing too many pots and pans type music. Sound Factory is hands down the BEST club I've ever been too. It's the only place to carry a consistent crowd of locals who are true to the music and nightlife. It's the only club I know of that actually feels like it has a soul and is actually alive. JP can make it evil or happy at the flip of a record. You'll find everyone from those wearing Versace to Addidas sweats dancing their A@@'s off and having a great time. SF has an intense sound system and JP's ability to change from one night to the next is incredible. You never know what mood he'll be in and what kind of sets he'll play. If your not hard core about the clubs there are a ton of other venues like 151, Saci, Twirl, Vinyl, Limelight, etc. that are more loungy/club type places.

And who can list at least 3 clubs that have had any kind of substantial duration in LA. The clubs just don't last.

And I have to stand up for Tsettos. He may not be world renouned but you just try coming to Tempts in the summer and not danicing until your feet are blistered and raising your fists in the air because the mix's he is playing are so uplifting. And yes he did open Exit with Baez and it was phenominal. Name one LA club where you can get 6000 people on the dance floor from 1am to 10am!

I really like this persons response.... I've never been to L.A. but I honestly can't believe how their "nightlife" can be better than NY...

Originally posted by robbhammer

You just don't find this stuff in NYC. I find that people for the most part are true and do not judge by the wad in your pocket.

SF has an intense sound system and JP's ability to change from one night to the next is incredible. You never know what mood he'll be in and what kind of sets he'll play. If your not hard core about the clubs there are a ton of other venues like 151, Saci, Twirl, Vinyl, Limelight, etc. that are more loungy/club type places.

Personally, I agree, NYC has a better nightlife scene (for me) BUT SF being the only "hardcore" club. Are you fuckin kidding me?!?!?

JP is an "OK" DJ at best...I don't really like listening to 45 minute Whitney remixes.

Now that Twilo is gone, I believe Vinyl and Centro-fly are the best in terms of pulling in quality talent. There are also a bunch of others (eg, Satoshi Tomei at Filter 14)...

NYC has a wide variety of people BUT it does have more than its share of wallet watching, brand name looking followers who just suck ass.

Overall, I prefer NYC, but some of this guy's comments were just way off mark!

...and once again "Who gives a fuck?????" Is this all of your feeble minds are capable of discussing? They're different, just like every city is...and when you visit someplace else you embrace those differences because you don't get that vibe in your town. There is no 'better', there's only different.

And who cares about dj 'this' and dj 'that'...there are tons of amazing dj's that can rock a dance floor just the same as the ones that have become well known around the globe. Remember, all they do is play other people's records...

And I'm not saying any of this to diss NYC...I love that city and love visiting...could never live there because I'm a west coast kid....always...and I find exactly what I need with the 'nightlife' here...but always embrace NYC when I go. I love the theatre there, live performance art, clubs, dive bars, lounge bars, restaurants, and sometimes the people...but it seems like all the negativity that those equate with NYers seems to come to our boards.

Positivity and unity is what is needed right now with the events going on in our country and the world...don't you think it's a little pompous to even have this discussion any longer??? I think you all beat it to death...and now people that aren't even from either city feels the need to add their 2 pesos.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by xtcgirlie

I really like this persons response.... I've never been to L.A. but I honestly can't believe how their "nightlife" can be better than NY...

EXactly you've never been - how can anyone argue that LA sux unless you've been here??? i've lived in NY my whole life - and now live in LA - LA has got a great scene and lots of afterhours too

and no one here knows who JP is the only "NY" DJ we line up to see when he comes here is DT

I used to hang with people who claimed NY is the best and they've NEVER been anywhere else - how ignorant

I've lived in both places and traveled all over - NY and LA both have great things to offer, it's just so stupid to argue.............

peace

i can't believe you fools are still talking about this...i jumped off this board months and months ago and this was the last topic of conversation and i come back only to see you're still whining about who's better...who gives a fehking shite :mad: ...if you think the nyc scene is better, great go live/stay in nyc

me personally...i don't dwell on what i don't have in front of me, i like to enjoy the things i do have, so that's what i concentrate on

give this conversation a rest...it was stale 4 months ago now its hard as a rock with nasty fuzzy mold all over it

Originally posted by breathless420

First off shit head....DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT put Tsettos, Manny the greek, and all other wanna be super DJ's on a list with JP, Junior, DT, and Vicious......Its not even close.....and stop bashing L.A. cause you giving us REAL New Yorkers a bad name....stick to the jersey board with the rest of the trash!

lmao...

All I have to say is in reading this e-mail I got from Giant, is that on New Years Eve you guys have one great party to go to, PVD Sasha, Van M, I am so jelous! :( I wish I could be there!

Like everyone is saying there is no comparing East Vs. West it is two different scences, people have different music tastes, and the people act differently. You have to love east and west for what they are and what they hold to the music scene.

Originally posted by prplhz

Like everyone is saying there is no comparing East Vs. West it is two different scences, people have different music tastes, and the people act differently. You have to love east and west for what they are and what they hold to the music scene.

WORD!!!!

At least we don't live in the mid west!!

things could be worse

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Basically, the areas are very different. New York is such a "house" head- LA is very mixed. I like to appreciate a variety, so LA more suits my style in that. However, I just came from visiting New York and had a blast (again, heard nothing but house, hip-hop). Liked that clubs stayed open to 3-4am. Centro-Fly was great ;)

As a LA native I have got to say I have never experienced a better night live than in NYC!!! My visit lasted a year and it was fantasic. I was there on business so my nightlife was limitted to Friday's and Saturday's only.

If anyone has suggestions in LA I should check out, please advise. I gave on on LA night life years ago but NYC brought it back in me! Can't seem to find anything that can compare....yet.

Originally posted by trinity23

At least we don't live in the mid west!!

things could be worse

Don't go knockin the midwest now, without us you wouldn't be able to eat anything but new england clam chowder and benito's rolled tacos

Hey man I am hardcore NYC clubber....Twilo, exit, Sound Factory, NV, Vinly....and big time PVD fan....I just moved to LA right in the Universal Studios..for work...so let me ckech it out here and i will get back to you....BTW do u know any one going to see PVD in Miami Dec 28th....few of my buddy and I are and looking for other ppl who are..

Galic

Originally posted by thiskitten

Basically, the areas are very different. New York is such a "house" head- LA is very mixed. I like to appreciate a variety, so LA more suits my style in that. However, I just came from visiting New York and had a blast (again, heard nothing but house, hip-hop). Liked that clubs stayed open to 3-4am. Centro-Fly was great ;)

Wow, guess you didn't go to the bigger clubs. 3-4am?!?!? Thats when the party just gets STARTED!!

Vinyl, Twilo (when it was open), Factory, etc, go at least till 10am the next morning, and many times later than that!

Archived