Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The New Club Review Section

lalate

• 4 weeks later...

Dragon Bar (Hermosa Beach)

great place if you're a local, checked their schedule on-line and it looks like they have DJ's just about every night. Went there last night and it was not too busy but a good sized gathering for a Tuesday, have also been on a Sunday during the day for a game and they even had a DJ then, it was packed. It's on Pier Ave. so there are always lots of people around, good looking ones at that.

Staff was nice, drinks were inexpensive, like $4 for a beer and about $5 for a cocktail. There was no cover either on this particular day but ti may be 5 or 10 bux on weekends and jam packed, if I know Hermosa. Very nice atmosphere, fantastic music and sushi on the menu. Lots of flat panel TV's and plenty of bar space and couches too. Check it out.

thumbs up from me and I'll be there on Saturday night for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

The $10 Million Gamble that is V20

How So Cal's newest venue does it big .... in a very wrong way.

An LALate.com Review of the New Megaclub, V20

It may turn out to be the biggest financial bomb in California nightlife. That was the question Friday evening when the new $10 million Long Beach mega-nightclub, V20 opens its doors to one of the biggest new nightclubs to open this year, to a crowd so small that using the word "tiny" would be an overstatement.

Could this be the biggest financial blunder in nightlife planning? That remains to be seen.

V20 sits in the stunning new complex on the harbor of Long Beach called the Pike. Without traffic, the venue is no more than 20 minutes south of Los Angeles with the Long Beach freeway ending practically at the door of the venue.

From there, everything that is so right about V20 goes down hill.

Unlike other venues in So Cal built in shopping malls like the Highlands nightclub in Hollywood, V20 sits on the outer edge of the Pike overlooking at night an empty dark area nestled between parking structures and a Bubba Jump restaurant that had more people in attendance by early evening than V20. Oh, and did we tell you the parking is $12 because V20 doesn't validate? More about that later.

The entrance to V20 is beautiful. A stunning waterfall greets you to what looks like you are entering the Witness Protection Plan. We counted the following. Two guestlist people on the door, five security guards outside the door, equated to staff equally or surpassing people in line by early evening.

Once entering the club, the first thing you see is, well, consistent with outside; more security. Approximatley three inside the front door. And what else is more inviting to see when entering a club, you may ask? A cashier station, so wide, it was wider than some check-in stations at LAX. The count: three cashiers, all ready to take your $20 cover for the night.

Alright, having shelled out $32 already, it's time to see the club. The venue is stunning. It shocks the senses. It arguably is one of the best attempts at decore seen in a long time. The only problem: the decore does not fit a nightclub. (Yeah, it's a big problem.)

Case in point: space. The entire venue has virtually no room dividers except one. The net result is simple. You walk in and you see people at the other end of the football field. Try kissing someone in this venue; the entire venue is going to see you. Looking for a dark place to snuggle in the corner? They don't exist. The person who designed this club doesn't understand how clubgoers interact. Imagine a huge shopping center warehouse with a lot of beautiful expensive furniture. That's V20. It's not a place where you will kiss your date, unless you are an exhibitionist and like having everyone else see you.

Case in point: functionality. So you want to hit on someone? This venue has a donut shapped sofa the size of 1/2 court basketball game. If you want to hit on someone sitting on the sofa, they'll see you 10 yards away. How about the bars? The first bar is so big you sort of wonder what we're they thinking. With what we counted to be eight bartenders, yes eight, and a bar the length of stretched limo, the sentiment you think "this is too big, almost ridiculously too big." Your local neighborhood bar, this is not.

Don't think we forgot about the security? Inside the venue, we counted about 20 security guards. That's on top of the staff outside. Maybe they are to keep the eight bartenders and the hand full of cashiers company? When we accidentally took about 12 inches into the threshold that looked like the beginning of the restrooms but was the kitchen, the security guard response rate was faster than a Ferrari in 0 to 60 seconds.

Oh, and you wonder why we got confused about where everything is? Lighting. The lighting display is gorgeous as is the decore, perhaps the best lighting display seen in ages. Only problem, you sort of sense the lighting designer was in a fight with the interior designer because the lights do everything in the world for you not to present the interior decore favorably. Stunning light displays of blue and circles swirl over opposing colored sofas and chairs. You got a stunning red piece of furniture, let's flood it with a blue spot light. Why? We were going to ask the security, but they looked too occupied watching the mere handful of people that only arrived by 11 pm that evening.

And about the clubgoers. With a floor plan this open, this non-intimiate, this expansive, this venue may arguably always look empty unless something is dramatically changed. The promotion for the night, a grand opening non the less, people in so little people you sort of wondered what else might be wrong.

And there is something that is very wrong, more so that anything else.

Location. Spending $10 million in Long Beach nearly nothing else comparable in walking distance is a risky proposition. But when coupled with the overstaffing, illogical decore, and absence of sufficient attendance, you sort of worry if the formula was miscalculated.

Richard Humpty Vision, an incredibly popular DJ, will headline V20 in a few weeks. Our guess: if his weekend doesn't go well, someone will be calling a meeting at V20, soon, very soon.

We hope not. Get rid of half of the staff, divide the rooms better, tone down the lighting display, and above all, get some some clubgoers in (and we don't mean a few hundred, this venue needs a few 1,000 to look full), and this could be not a good but a great venue. This big venue has big potential, with changes, big changes.

In the end, the most ironic item of the night was right before you eyes: the number of security guards for the exit. One.

I am a local and have been to V2o twice in the past two weeks, with last Saturday being alot more crowded. The cover is easily avoided by getting yourself onto the guest list before 9pm and this also avoids the wait in line, if there is one. The email addy can be had by simply calling and asking the hostess for it, I dont want to give it out because I am not a promoter.

I like the place, thought it had very nice decor and I do beleive the crowds will be there in the future. Also there is free parking all over the place, that garage is a rip off. My friend lives in the new huge apartment complex adjacent to the pike and we park in a secure garage there for free every weekend without incident.

The staff there is a little much but overall very cool. Upcoming events there should help boost popularity. Also, for privacy they do have booths, tables and two patios. The hip hop room also has some seating at the bar in some really cool low rider chairs. In short, check it out. But give it some time. The egil and humpty should be a good event.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I'm a little biased since I Djed at the last event Tropical Bliss threw, but I'd have to say their outdoor patio, good vibes, and great crowd make this LA's hottest monthly going on the second Friday of every month in downtown LA. Many others have tried but Tropical Bliss brings you the feelgood vibes and feelgood funky, chunky, tribal, booty shakin' house music and breaks vibe of yesteryear.

Here's a flyer for the next event:

14367188_l.jpg

14676363_l.jpg

There's two fully stocked bars, two areas of music, and no hassles at the door. Come as you are :)

heard spundae will be moving to the henry fonda theatre shortly. WHY!? WHY? WHY? :doh: :doh: :doh:

sorry this is not really a club review post, but that move is just gonna kill the vibe. has anyone gone to an edm event at the HFT? isn't the place kinda small? and isn't anvalon enough? why another theatre-like setting venue? we need ROOM to dance! CIRCUS has that! :mad:

has anyone been to trance club heaven? any reviews?

the venue is nice, the arena (in front of circus). if you enjoy old school trance DJ's...... that's the place to go. they've been bringing in mainly foreign trance DJ's that were once pretty popular with the underground community.

gosh, this is the wrost club I have been to! the club looks like a building about to fall, when I got there at 11:00, there is nobody in the dance floor! I mean nobody! the dance room downstair had a really strong bathroom like smell with almost again, nobody, there are countable of crowd in the main dance floor upstair. more people coming in around 12:00 and peaked at 1:00, but again, the 2nd dance floor in upstair still empty, people are ugly and lots are old too! cover charge is 30 bucks. I would never go back there again!

totally agree...... one word FILTHY!

simply no place to park. $10 is too much. No street parking. And the $5 lots didnt look safe.

Hold on here...You are going to one of the best clubs in LA, one of the World's most recognized clubs from LA. And you guys are worried about a $10.00 spot. Damn, how much do you guys spend when you go out. Its 10 bucks for a drink so does that mean you bring your own beer too.

Man, going out is expensive I agree but to park right next door and pay an extra 5 bucks sounds like the thing to do.

Hold on here...You are going to one of the best clubs in LA, one of the World's most recognized clubs from LA. And you guys are worried about a $10.00 spot. Damn, how much do you guys spend when you go out. Its 10 bucks for a drink so does that mean you bring your own beer too.

Man, going out is expensive I agree but to park right next door and pay an extra 5 bucks sounds like the thing to do.

I dont know what post you're quoting from in this 4-page thread lol.

But for LA standards :

$10 for mixed drinks is average.

$10 to park is gorgeing.

simply no place to park. $10 is too much. No street parking. And the $5 lots didnt look safe.

Wow... I'm from NY, and reading this b/c I may be going to LA soon- But i wish I could find parking for $10 here

Wow... I'm from NY, and reading this b/c I may be going to LA soon- But i wish I could find parking for $10 here

Yep LA is considerably cheaper on parking than most major US cities including Boston, NY, SF, to name a few.

Well I've read all your reviews and still none the wiser [there's so many!].

I'm 23yr old male from England, UK and am landing in LA in Sept for a week with a friend. Our intention is to enjoy ourselves as much as possible. Drinking, dancing, meeting people - well women [you know how it is when your on holiday!]. So we want to be out every nite of the week Wed - Wed, and you guys seem to be the people to ask. Where stayin in Beverly Hills but I've noticed most of the clubs seem to be in Hollywood so looks like we're doing a bit of traveling everynite!!

So where are the best places to be, and on what nite? The last thing we want to happen is for us to be in a club on a Tuesday nite and it be empty. So come on do your cousin from across the water a big favour list your opinion where we should be on what nite. We want places where the atmosphere is hot and the people are hotter!!

Also if anyone knows any good bars/clubs/restaurants in Beverly Hills that'd be great.

Well I've read all your reviews and still none the wiser [there's so many!].

I'm 23yr old male from England, UK and am landing in LA in Sept for a week with a friend. Our intention is to enjoy ourselves as much as possible. Drinking, dancing, meeting people - well women [you know how it is when your on holiday!]. So we want to be out every nite of the week Wed - Wed, and you guys seem to be the people to ask. Where stayin in Beverly Hills but I've noticed most of the clubs seem to be in Hollywood so looks like we're doing a bit of traveling everynite!!

So where are the best places to be, and on what nite? The last thing we want to happen is for us to be in a club on a Tuesday nite and it be empty. So come on do your cousin from across the water a big favour list your opinion where we should be on what nite. We want places where the atmosphere is hot and the people are hotter!!

Also if anyone knows any good bars/clubs/restaurants in Beverly Hills that'd be great.

To eat - Il Fornaio on Beverly for breakfast, McCormick and Schmidt (sp) on Rodeo for lunch.

Update -

Forbidden City Fridays - A to A-

Stock Exchange Fridays and Saturdays - C- before 11 pm, A to A- after 11pm (till you drop, closes at 6 am)

Falcon Wednesdays - B to B+ (for relaxing night)

Falcon Thursdays - B + (for relaxing night)

• 1 month later...

VENUE: Club Ivar

First floor

Hollywood, CA 90028

NIGHT YOU ATTENDED: SAT

PROMOTION: YES

Decore: 10

People's Hot'ness: 9

People's Niceness: 9

Parking: 10 as long as you get there early enough.

Cover: $20 If you're under someone's name on the guestlist, that person must be present with your group before you can get in or you can just wait in the non-guestlist line to get in.

Best Thing: Lounge area is huge! Place was packed but plenty of room to dance, relax and chill. The music (mostly hip hop/r & B) is top notch!

Worst Thing: Dance floor is a bit small. Drinks are watered down with ice. Order 'em with less ice.

What would you Change: Make the downstairs smoking lounge a little bit nicer. Inside looks great though. Very modern. Nice lighting.

Would you go Back: Fo sure! :bounce:

VENUE: The Highlands

Hollywood, CA 90028

NIGHT YOU ATTENDED: FRI

Decore: 10. Very nice and clean looking.

Parking: 10 Very easy parking.

Cover: $20 However if you eat dinner there at their restaurant you automatically get into the club for free.

Best Thing: The huge balconies with beautiful scenic views of LA! The balcony is right next to the dance floor so you don't have to go far to smoke or relax. They also have a bar on the balcony. Place was packed. Music (mostly hip hop/r & B) is good! They also have another trance room.

Worst Thing: Dance floor is too small.

What would you Change: Enlarge the dance floor otherwise it's an awesome club. Nice atmosphere.

Would you go Back: Definitely! :bounce:

VENUE: The Highlands

Hollywood, CA 90028

NIGHT YOU ATTENDED: FRI

Decore: 10. Very nice and clean looking.

Parking: 10 Very easy parking.

Cover: $20

Best Thing: The huge balconies with beautiful scenic views of LA! The balcony is right next to the dance floor so you don't have to go far to smoke or relax. They also have a bar on the balcony. Place was packed. Music (mostly hip hop/r & B) is good! They also have another trance room.

Worst Thing: Dance floor is too small.

What would you Change: Enlarge the dance floor otherwise it's an awesome club. Nice atmosphere.

Would you go Back: Definitely! :bounce: