Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Why is alchohol legal and weed isnt?

romy20

been through this many a time and it just makes me :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

bottom line is if it were at all possible alcohol would be illegal. if this were the case people would go crazy so they keep it legal. I feel that they don't want another thing that fucks you up on the market.

i also think that one day it will be legal:D :D :D

but until then it just sucks........

i doubt there is any real explanation.

i personally think that the US economy just makes alot of money off of weed, and if it was legal then people would just grow it and there would be so much more...... i guess then everyone would be stoners (:smoke: :smoke: :afro: ) not that there is anything wrong with that. More of an abundance of weed could be looked at as just more problems, more people doin dumb shit. It makes sense when its looked at that way, but then look at alcohol. People do alot more stupid shit when they drink. So basically, i can definitly see why weed is illegal (although that sucks). I agree with BLAZN as to why alcohol is legal.... people would lose their minds..... people would be very unhappy.... The bottom line is that weed seems so insignificant when compared to alcohol, and the penalty when getting caught for smoking it and having it is just fucking bullshit. Recently i spoke with a narcotics detective who is a very good friend of my family, and he personally believes when someone is caught with weed, they should really only prosecute if there is an astronomical amount. He said that in New York, most cases dealing with only a few ounces are not even investigated because of the amount of cases they have.

I can see why weed is illegal, but there is no reason why the law should ruin a kids life just becuase he likes to smoke a little pot. It just seems ludicrous. :mad:

From a none drug user's stand point. I mean don't get me wrong I have smoked pot when I was younger.

Ok I think that we should consider it this way Pot or THC is considered to give people a buzz or a intoxicated feeling. I don't think It should be illeagal but I do believe that it should hold the same as alcohol. For instance you can't drive while under the influence. I mean Think of it this way say you were going in for surgery and you surgon just walks in right after smoking a joint instead of a cigarette. Can you honestly tell me that you would want this guy cutting you open and hacking away with your insides.

Well to get straight to the point. I believe that it should be legal but just controlled just like alcohol.

Originally posted by vodkaredbull

From a none drug user's stand point. I mean don't get me wrong I have smoked pot when I was younger.

Ok I think that we should consider it this way Pot or THC is considered to give people a buzz or a intoxicated feeling. I don't think It should be illeagal but I do believe that it should hold the same as alcohol. For instance you can't drive while under the influence. I mean Think of it this way say you were going in for surgery and you surgon just walks in right after smoking a joint instead of a cigarette. Can you honestly tell me that you would want this guy cutting you open and hacking away with your insides.

Well to get straight to the point. I believe that it should be legal but just controlled just like alcohol.

I disagree,I actually drive better when I'm high :) I think a big reason has to do with the money the government makes from smuggling it in...anyone ever heard of how Air America was started?

Weed is amazing..it sucks that you might get fucked over for it...totally unfair.Alcohol is legal...why not weed (hence the title of this post, I guess :) )

Originally posted by romy20

I have been wondering about this for a while now, does anyone have a good explanation.

well i agree that alcohol can be more destructive

however i can offer a pretty good reason

alcohol, wine can be taken without the intent of getting drunk

social, dinner, etc

however weed is only taken with the intent of getting high

its a value judgement

You are all barking up the wrong tree entirely. I has nothing to do with health effects or with usage.

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/LIBRARY/studies/vlr/vlrtoc.htm

Marijuana was made illegal in the same general time period as alchohol, the temperance movement was responsible for both. The difference between the two is that alchohol was more widely consumed, and therefore, was consumed more illegally and there was more sentiment to repeal its prohibition.

Originally posted by xcracker

Comin from non weed smoker.. Alcohol is much more destructive on society than weed in so many ways.. I just dont understand the rationality....

Thats because its not rational. They didn't sit down with scientists and socialogists to write these laws. Its all politics. There is very little correlation between laws and facts in the case of drugs.

Originally posted by roadrunner

Someone explained this to me very simply:

If weed was legal, everyone would just grow their own and the government wouldn't make any money from taxes.

I think that explanation makes perfect sense.

personally i don't think that makes sense at all..... I mean if that was the case then why don't people brew their own beer? make their own wine? grow their own tobacco? grow their own vegetables for christs sake? i mean you may think of these analogies as silly but the bottom line is people are lazy. If it was legal we would be able to get a very high quality weed for a reasonable price. Growing GOOD weed is not easy, i mean its not like you throw a few seeds in some soil and water it each day and wham you got weed. Sure alot of people would grow it but the Gov't would stand to make a ton of money from it.

blazn has a point, people are lazy, especially weedheads. I know if I could walk into 7-11 and buy a bag for a decent price I would instead of grow my own. It's all about convenience. I also believe the government would make billions if weed was legalized. They blow billions every year on the "drug war", they could be profitting offa this harmless substance instead of blowing all their money on arresting teenagers smokin dope. Although, if weed were legalized there would be a lot more laziness, like there isn't enough as it is...

Seriosly, it has nothing to do with lazyness, or health.

More info from my ex-pothead dad.

During the vietnam war, the government was looking for ways to stop protests. They knew that protesters often carried and smoked pot among other drugs, so drug laws were tightened. This way they could arrest protesters without violating civil rights. Meanwhile they started releasing anti drug propaganda to portray pot smokers as evil and insane. This was done partially to justify the new laws and partially to discredit protesters.

There is no reason involved in these laws. From day one drug laws have had political or economic motives.

I've actually studied this topic and one of the articles I read explains pretty well the history of marijuana legislation dating back to as early as the early 1900's. The article can be found here:

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/LIBRARY/studies/vlr/vlr2.htm

It's rather dry and technical at times, but if you want to know a detailed answer to the question you asked, this is it. I also took a class in college "The Psychology of Drugs and Behavior," and the professor presented almost the exact reasons as those presented in the article. Here's the conclusion of the article if you just want the nuts and bolts of it:

The early laws against the cannabis drugs were passed with little public attention. Concern about marijuana was related primarily to the fear that marijuana use would spread, even among whites, as a substitute for the opiates and alcohol made more difficult to obtain by federal legislation. Especially in the western states, this concern was identifiable with the growth of the Mexican-American minority. It is clear that no state undertook any empirical or scientific study of the effects of the drug. Instead they relied on lurid and often unfounded accounts of marijuana's dangers as presented in what little newspaper coverage the drug received. It was simply assumed that cannabis was addictive and would have engendered the same evil effects as opium and cocaine. Apparently, legislators in these states found it easy and uncontroversial to prohibit use of a drug they had never seen or used and which was associated with ethnic minorities and the lower class.