Clubplanet Nightlife Community

My friend Edgar V./ letter to Luis Puig

bdwgroove

This is the first time that I'm writing this board and it may be my last. Most of the people that know me know that I don't like to be negative or get caught up in in the gossip, dj bashing, or musical elitism that is a part of every scene. I do, however, want to say a few words for a good friend of mine and if some criticism comes from this then so be it.

I've known Edgar V. since 1995 and he currently works with me at Grooveman Music on South Beach. Over the years I've seen him grow as a DJ but even more so as a human being. Today, he is a professional DJ in every sense of the word. What I mean by that is he is always prepared, technically skilled, and he thoroughly understands the dynamic of the dance floor. In addition, he can play trance, progressive house, house, breaks and hip hop as well as any of the top DJ's in each of those genres (and he truly loves each one of those styles). But none of these attributes is Edgar's greatest strength. What truly sets Edgar apart is his willingness to put his ego aside and play what the crowd NEEDS to hear and not just what he wants to hear. Too many DJ's forget that they are being paid to entertain the crowd... not to constantly educate them. Don't get me wrong, education is essential but not at the sacrifice of entertainment. A great DJ is one that is capable of balancing between both, thus bringing back the clubber the following week while continuing to push the scene forward. Edgar V. meets these criteria and I consider him to be a great DJ.

Luis Puig took a huge risk when opened Club Space in Downtown Miami. He laid a tremendous foundation by having great lights and sound and a really cool space with multiple rooms. His ace in the hole for this new club was a 24 hour liquor license. But would they come? At this point in time there was no history of people willing to go Downtown to go clubbing. That was the risk. For those of you who know me believe me when I tell you---this was a HHHUUUGGGEEE risk (I do know a little about pulling off a club in unchartered waters).

Luis, you did it. I applaud you. Ultimately you've greatly benefited Miami's scene and sent alot of people home alot later then they planned. But you didn't do it alone. There was a time when Space was finding it's legs and developing it's personality. The DJ's that were playing there weren't consistant enough and many of the people checking out the new hotspot weren't sure if they would return. All that money that you spent on this state of the art club---your vision--was going out the door with them. Then you hired Edgar V.. Edgar played what they needed to hear. He consistantly gave them what they wanted and they came back for more. The crowd grew to trust Edgar V. and with that trust he was able to push them forward helping Club Space to develop the reputaion that it has today. He didn't do this singlehandedly but he was the catalyst. Make no mistake about that.

I can go on and on about some of the personal sacrifices that Edgar V. made for the betterment of your club. Some you might acknowledge others you might see differently. Overall though, Edgar V.'s loyalty to Club Space can not be questioned. Do you know why his loyalty was so strong to the club? Because you we're the first to give him an opportunity to showcase his talents on a night in and night out basis. This is something he had been working towards for most of his adult life. It meant the world to him. Knowing Edgar V. as I do I don't think he'll ever forget you for that.

Obviously loyalty isn't a two way street.

Edgar V. Was fired because a promoter in Peru used the Space logo on his flyer while booking Edgar V. for a party that happened in October. Do I even have to point out how trivial this reason is? October...promoter from Peru...yep it's all beginning to make sense to me. This is an obvious case of the punishment fitting the crime. By the way, when did Edgar V. become a flyer designer from Peru? He'd have to be in order to be held directly responible for this heinous and despicable act. How dare he!!! I'm a pretty smart guy but even someone with Downs Syndrome can see what a load this is. My desire is not to personally attact you but in my opinion this a spineless act and shows a total lack of respect for what Edvar V. has done for your club.

Let me ask you this Luis...since Edgar was basically the stabilizing force in your investment (not that you'll ever admit it), how much was that worth to you? Think hard about it. How much was that total investment again? Seems fair.

So what was the real reason for the firing? Yeah, Friday's aren't what they were. Where's all of Edgar's loyal fans? (yeah I read your letter) Why aren't they coming anymore? Someone's to blame!!! It's got to be the DJ! It always boils down to the DJ, at least as far as the owner is concerned. That's usually because they don't understand it from that perspective, the DJ's that is. They're business men. In most cases they understand money not music. They would of have to have been a DJ to really understand it in today's market. But you were a DJ weren't you? You probably wouldn't have built such an amazing club if you weren't. Once again you deserve alot a credit for this feat. We all have our limitations though. If you want to blame someone for the demise of Friday nights then that blame rests squarely on your shoulders.

As a DJ you seem to have forgotten the old adage "less is more". When's the last time Edgar V. played consecutive Friday nights during primetime (1am - 5am)? If by chance you can give me an answer that recently occured then how far do you have to go back to answer the question again? It's Edgar V.'s night but there seems to be a booking every week. When is it exactly that Edgar goes on? 5 o'clock and half the the crowd dumped because they didn't like the guest DJ. Edgar V. isn't letting the crowd down... the club is! Sure the bookings make the club look good and appeal to different niches but Edgar V. appeals to your core crowd... the ones who made it what it is today. You're confusing them. They aren't getting what they want and on top of that they're paying a premium door charge 3 out of every 4 weeks (your track record for Friday night DJ bookings) to not get what they want. Most clubbers never really understand why they begin to feel bitterness and resentment towards the club but they do feel it none the less. Do I need to explain to you how this effects their attendance in your fine establishment. The bottom line is that you are breaking the trust between Edgar V. and his crowd by over booking his nights. Less (bookings) is more (of a crowd). Edgar is the reason why they are there and Edgar is who they want to see and you're not giving them Edgar.

I've got the solution..."Let's fire him!!!"

Luis, one day I truly hope that you realize that Edgar did as much or more for your club as you did for his career. If and when you do see it that way, then I think you will regret handling his firing in such an unprofesssional manner. By the way I think you're about to see how many friends Edgar really has.

Bruce Wilcox

HOW DARE YOU? YOU HAVE REVEALED PART OF MY EVIL PLAN...YOU SEE LONG AGO...SPACE WAS PACKED ON FRIDAY NIGHTS...EDGAR PLAYED THE WHOLE NIGHT...EVERYONE WAS HAPPY......PEOPLE KNEW EDGAR WAS GOING TO BE THERE AND THATS WHY THEY SHOWED UP.....BUT, I, THE EVIL MASTER THREW EVERYONE A CURVE BALL....MORE AND MORE I CONFUSED EVERYONE SO THEY JUST STARTED STAYING HOME...AND THEN IN MY FINAL ACT OF EVIL...I FIRE EDGAR V...HAAAA HAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAA......

Nice to see you post this, Bruce. We've spoken a few times in the shop about the scene, and I'm glad to see it carry over to the world of zeroes and ones.

Due to reasons that many of you know, I cannot actively comment on this situation, but I can say that I wish Edgar the best, and know that he will bounce back and be a spectacular addition to his future employer.

Pod why cant you comment on it?? please dont tell me your employed by Space now?

i know your outspoken ...but at times im frustrated with you cuz i feel you dont say whats really on your mind because of people you know.

meaning your opinions are biast.

Bruce, although i dont know you ...i know OF you and if theres someone who deserves a say its you.....

thanks for taking the time to write this.:idea:

Excellent letter Bruce. I agree with you on 80% of what you have said. Being on Edgar's side however makes you see this one sided. No matter how unbiased you try to be. One day you might be in a position where you are responsible for the life's of over 100 people and their families and you might just understand my side of this situation. I will try to clarify this one last time so that there is no doubt and you will not see me post on this subject ever again.

Lately the name Space has become a very valuable commodity. We are constantly being bombarded by promoters from all over the world. They tempt us with their offers of bigger and better festivals and clubs in far away lands. Of course the catch is always to use the name Space to draw in the crowds. They have even gone as far as trademarking our name and logo in various major cities in South America such as Venezuela and Colombia. South America does not respect US trademark rights. They (the promoters) take advantage of this situation. They hold raves and parties in obscure little cities and towns as well as large ones. To add validity to these events they use the name "CLUB SPACE." Not in small print but big and large as if it were a Club Space event. Such were the flyers that were used to market the event in which Edgar spun. But what would a Space event be without Space DJs and personnel? They can't buy the rights to use the name of the club so they buy the DJs in order to help validate their events. Who cares if these events are a piece of crap and do not represent what we at Space (over 100 employees) have worked so much to achieve? So what if the event sucks and it does not represent our life's work? Who cares if some kid dies at a "trivial" unsupervised Club Space rave in South America and Space gets the blame for it? So what if this helps to close Space down and my employees are out of jobs?

Guess who is responsible for having an answer to all these and many other questions? Guess who has to step up to the plate and deal with this shit? I could go on forever but I think you are beginning to get the point. The repercussions are endless.

If we entrust someone with the name Space and let them represent our livelihood and that of our families, we expect to be represented properly. If someone takes this trust in vain, they trample on who and what we are. Edgar new very well that these promoters were using our name without our consent. This event like all events was promoted months ahead. Flyers and promotions were made with Space and Edgar's names on it. This was hidden from us and not brought to our attention. If it would have been, Edgar knows very well we would not want any part of it. This by the way is not the first time this happens, we just recently fired one of our head promoters for doing "Space" events in Columbia. We have strict policies on dealing with these type of situations and all our residents and employees are very aware of them. Unauthorized usage of someone's name and brand are a piracy of that person's life. Perhaps someday you will experience it and you will have a different opinion.

In conclusion. I have been part of the nightclub industry for 26 years. I worked at every position including being a DJ for 15 years. I would never use the name of my employers to gain financially without their consent. If there was an event that I was contracted at that used the name of my employer without their consent, I would refuse to perform. I would not break that trust. I would turn around get on a plane and high tail it back home. These are my beliefs. It is what has gotten me this far. I believe in them strong enough to fire my best friend. Even if it kills me inside. Even if the whole world hates me for it. I will stand by my decision. I believe in it as much as I care to write and post in this forum. I write here because it is important to me what every person thinks and feels. If it weren't I would not go thru such great effort to create places where people can dance and be happy. It is the reason why I was a DJ and it is the reason why I exist.

This will be my last post concerning this matter. Time will decide where our relationship with Edgar takes us. For now I think I speak for both of us when I say leave us alone to deal with our situation. We never had a problem before and I am sure we will manage somehow.

Thank you for your post.

LP.

I'm not employed by space. I'm involved with a few local media outlets, as you know. I'll admit, in the past I've been very outspoken on some issues, but this one involves people I know well, on both sides of the fence, so I feel that anything I say automatically says "Oh he's just saying that because he's so-and-so's friend..."

But, if you must know, I feel that Edgar is being treated unfairly, considering what he has done for the club. At the least he should be given another chance.

Since people are speaking FOR Edgar... Edgar should drop us a post to tell his side. There have been several posts made on his behalf and I'm sure they are not Edgar's words exactly. Edgar deserves the right to voice his side. I understand this is REALLY a personal issue, but it seems that everyone BUT Egar has commented on this whole thing!

And Bruce, since when have you EVER met a club owner that has any regard for the important things???

• 2 years later...

THE POLITIC'S OF DANCING PREVAIL IN MIAMI!!

As someone who has been a loyal supporter to Edgar long before his career took off with SPACE and also a loysal supporter of SPACE well since the beginning. Edgar is one of the most humblest dj's I personally know he take's time to talk with his fan's get musical advice and basically take's everything with a grain of salt, but most importantly he is the reason CLUB SPACE took off with no promotion, no party 93.1, no flyer's scattered all over washington avenue, he personified a sound that still lay's deep in our heart's and had that fucking club packed every weekend.

Edgar&Louis should resolve there difference's because Edgar as well as many other's helped create a different scene of music after the MIX closed, a new chapter of nightlife was opened.

. Bottom line is honesty =integrity, and I 'm sure a compromise can be handled

A message to Louis don't lose touch with the people who helped create your club what it is today, whether it be a DJ or your loyal fan's you still have alot of support even though many of us have had to deal with alot of bullshit since the new SPACE was opened.

I try like Edgar to be humble, wait patiently in line, pay cover, and never do an official "FUCK SPACE THREAD " after I get fucked on bottle's,table's, because I know guy's like BIZ do whatever they can to take care of there supporter's.............

Bring Edgar back............ You will see alot of support from people whom lost touch and respect for your club after he was let go.

SPACE is and will never be the same without him whether you believe it or not it's just not the same...................................

• 1 year later...