Clubplanet Nightlife Community

BLIM @ Buzz 12/28/01 Review

breaksny

Old, but screw it...that nite was REALLY inspiring to me as a breaks fan. I JUST (like 5 mins ago) got back home to NYC and it was well worth the trip down. I should say sorry to Jaypee, Mellow, Jlrwin (sp?) et al who were planning a meet up...did you guys pull it off? I came down to DC late Thurs and didn't have net access again till now so I missed the news of when and where you all were gonna meet...I shoulda looked for the nubreaks/breaksworld sign or made one myself. LOL Anyway, if any of you are gonna be there on the 11th for Hyper, I'm 50-50 on goin right now depending on how this NY thing pans out, since there's still no confirmed date. I may not make a decision till the day itself. I hope we get another chance to meet up thouhg.

Anyway, I gotta say you guys in DC really have a hard core breakin crowd down there and the vibe in Buzz is just incredible. Some guy asked me if I thought this was the best club in America, and the only rival to the title I can think of is Spundae out in LA/SF, which I only know by reputation. I had a great weekend with Sasha, Burridge, and Van M on Thurs (lots of breaks there too) and then BLIM, Smalls (a simply wikkid dc area breaks jock who actually topped BLIM's set by a wide margin after the Botchit/TCR titan finished), and Oron, a 2 step jock who banged it for a couple hours b4 BLIM took the decks around 1:15.

BLIM also dropped the mighty (fuckin) ming, Triffid (from his Modernizm disc), and a bunch of other stuff I recognized, but alot of which I didn't know by name. The set was pretty anthemic (if there is such a thing as breaks anthems), but definitely didn't really flag in energy. After he was done, the mighty one informed me he's hoping his new album will be out b4 June. And he seemed very interested in the prospect of playing up here in NYC some day, so area if you're in my fair city and reading this, you heard it from the horse's mouth. He mentioned his agent, so get crackin cuz he seems to want 2 come here as much as we wanna see him.

And I gotta give lots of props to Smalls again. Really a diverse set, and a bangin one as well. He was as good as any of the local jocks I've seen up here in NY, and I think by now I may have seen most of them live, since we don't have many. Smalls is clearly a reason why DC's breaks scene is blowin up indeed, as a local DJ told me. I think we up here could learn alot from them, not at all to say that our DJs have any problems. I just think it could be educational for us.

All in all, Buz @ Nation is a great party at a great club, and the breaks slammed last nite. Thanx again BLIM!

Originally posted by breaksny

Anyway, I gotta say you guys in DC really have a hard core breakin crowd down there and the vibe in Buzz is just incredible. Some guy asked me if I thought this was the best club in America,

And I gotta give lots of props to Smalls again. Really a diverse set, and a bangin one as well. He was as good as any of the local jocks I've seen up here in NY, and I think by now I may have seen most of them live, since we don't have many. Smalls is clearly a reason why DC's breaks scene is blowin up indeed, as a local DJ told me. I think we up here could learn alot from them, not at all to say that our DJs have any problems. I just think it could be educational for us.

All in all, Buz @ Nation is a great party at a great club, and the breaks slammed last nite. Thanx again BLIM!

breaksny, i never really liked all the stuff before nu skool, like big beat, typical breakbeat, i thought dj icey was qll that there was in the US (eww). . .but lately i've been diggin sets by adam freeland, hyper, simply jeff, rennie pilgrim, meat katie storm and couple others. but i don't know much about breaks in DC, you seem to know a lot more. . .what can you tell us?

Um well...I dunno alot but when Buzz does have parties, by all means you should go. It's arguably the best large club in America anyway. Apparently you guys have the largest breaks scene in the northeast/mid-atlantic states anyway. It's certainly larger than what we have up here in New York, though we're starting to build something ever so slowly. I can tell you this much, Smalls is alot of fun to watch. He gave a very good set, like I said imo better than BLIM even. His promo disc is tight too, nice blend of fla, acid, and some nu skooly stuff.

There's a party coming up on Saturday Feb 16th (dunno where yet, but should in the next couple days) with Smalls, Imri (from philly), and Elite Force from Whole 9 Yards (1 of the top hard nu skool british labels). I should be there and will probably post a review about it later. I would check out Buzz's site and maybe even ask on there for leads about other websites on the DC breaks scene since they seem to get some good talent down there (they had Hyper on the 11th...see the Philly board for my review of his set in Philly).

Travis the guy who brought Hyper, BLIM, and Koma and Bones back in Nov is also a local jock in the capital area and by repute anyway, pretty darn talented.

As for websites I know of, try: www.nubreaks.com or www.breaksworld.com (the latter has a massive webring, probably with some links to some dc sites). One of the DJs down there (Shane was his name I think) gave me links for www.oobliss.com and www.scratchtraxx.com too which are supposedly DC centric, though I didn't seem to find much on there myself, but maybe I was doing something wrong. Hope that helps.

Talked to Travis (adegen on the buzz boards) and he gave me the following email newsgroup for updates on the DC breaks scene: breakbeatdc-owner@yahoogroups.com

Unfortunately I won't probably be @ the event on the 16th since Elite Force is coming to NY earlier that week and I'm short on funds, but it's a top flight lineup with Imri, Smalls, Elite Force et al playing. So don't miss it. ;) Btw the event is @ the Warehouse, if that means anything to any of you. Peace.

thanks breaksny, i heard richie rich and smalls last night, paul johnson's set in b/t. i wasn't diggin the acid breaks in the beginning, but smalls was tight like you said. but it was kinda weird to hear a nice deep house set sandwiched in b/t two breaks djs. . .

thanks for the links. i'll be at the warehouse on the 16th if you change your mind.