Clubplanet Nightlife Community

wHaT's EvErYoNe'S oPinIoN oF BrEakBeAts...

Guest tilly

Guest tilly

Just curious about what the board thinks of breakbeats. I chose this forum cause it encompasses members from all over the world and I want to see if geography plays a role in your opinions.

Anyone that knows me KNOWS that I LOVE BREAKBEATS..namely cause I went to college in Orlando from '92-'96ish I guess and that's all there was..funky, chunky, grooving, get the fuck down breakbeats. I will always have a special place in my heart for them!!!

What's your take???? and why?

Who's gonna burn on the Y2K too

Who's gonna burn? Who's gonna burn?

Who's gonna burn? Who's gonna burn?

It ain't gonna be me.......

Guest tilly
Originally posted by bionic

I never liked them.

No particular reason, they're just not my thing.

Whenever a DJ tosses in a break section, thats when I'm head to the bar/bathroom etc etc...

hummm...curious....what is your type of music?

Guest tilly
Originally posted by msoprano13

howells funky break beat mix at about 6am on new years was slamming

I heard that that was unbelievable...don't know if I could withstand the entire evening though to wait for 1 hour of funky breaks....maybe.

I like'em. They're fun to spin. I used to blend a lot of acid breaks into my sets like 4-5 years ago. I hate the cheesey sounding ones though. I like my breaks chemical, synthetik, acidic and hard. They're nice to break up a monotonous set also, so people don't have a constant 909 banging in their head and boring them.

Guest tilly
Originally posted by tranza

Definitely not a fan.. You cant really dance to them IMO.. However I do enjoy some trance breaks at bedtime.. S&D Northern Exposure #1, to any of the early BT cds..

you've been getting a lot of press on the new york board today..as one of the most influential members...humm...i guess I should feel honored that you spoke in my thread...although of course I completely disagree with you...

Dancing...breakdancers mainly dance to breakbeats and to me that is one of the most incredible forms of dancing out there..if you're good. For me, I can't dance to trance or hardcore. Maybe you just haven't been to the right "breakbeat" event. If you grew up here, you probably haven't had a ton of exposure so I understand why you would say that. What's your fav???

Originally posted by tilly

you've been getting a lot of press on the new york board today..as one of the most influential members...humm...i guess I should feel honored that you spoke in my thread...although of course I completely disagree with you...

ummmm... Ok :rolleyes:

Not agreeing is part of the game.. You asked for peoples opinions and I gave you mine, you dont like it, then dont ask (Sorry I'm very moody today)

Dancing...breakdancers mainly dance to breakbeats and to me that is one of the most incredible forms of dancing out there..if you're good. For me, I can't dance to trance or hardcore. Maybe you just haven't been to the right "breakbeat" event. If you grew up here, you probably haven't had a ton of exposure so I understand why you would say that. What's your fav???

I dont breakdance, therefor break beats are not danceable to me IMO (once again)

I've been to countless raves over the years and have heard plenty djs spin breaks (Donald Glaude, DJ Icey, DJ Dan ect..) So dont assume I havnt been to the "right" breakbeat event..

As for my favorite genre.. All depends on my mood.. When in the car and at my house I like vocals.. When Im out and about, I prefer tribal and progressive house, sometimes disco, filtered.. House is my favorite.. All flavors.. I do like some trance but in very small doses.. Im a pretty big fan of tech house/hard techno.. Cant stand hard trance, hardcore, breaks, jungle....

How's that sound?

(Once again dont take offence if I came off like a dick) :)

Guest tilly
Originally posted by tranza

(Once again dont take offence if I came off like a dick) :)

I don't think that you came off like a dick at all...I like when someone gives me their opinion and backs it up with concrete evidence...even if it doesn't follow my beliefs. if we were all the same, this world would be really boring and generic.

Guest tilly
Originally posted by heretic909

Well IMO breaks are very danceable whether you're a breakdancer or not. 4-to-the-floor beats get so rigid after awhile and breaks give you a chance to switch it up a bit and get nasty while shaking that ass. It's all just about feelin the music.

Again, I agree with you 100%!!!

I like breaks to a point, but haven't had much exposure to them other than hearing a dj throw in a song or two to break up his set (which I usually love).

I lived in Tampa for a few months last summer and breaks are definitely GOD down there. From what I saw of the breaks scene there it was young and kinda cheezy (no offense to anyone), but again, my exposure was very limited.

I've heard mixing breaks is one of the hardest music genres to conquer... any opinions there?

Originally posted by tilly

I don't think that you came off like a dick at all...I like when someone gives me their opinion and backs it up with concrete evidence...even if it doesn't follow my beliefs. if we were all the same, this world would be really boring and generic.

:):):)

Originally posted by nyis4meatheads

I've heard mixing breaks is one of the hardest music genres to conquer... any opinions there?

I don't know if it's more difficult, it's just different. With 4-to-the-floor styles I'll concentrate more on blending the kicks together. But with breaks I focus more on blending the snares that hit on 2 and 4 since the kicks are usually playing different patterns. When I get the snares lined up, somtimes I'll get some pretty unique results with the kicks from both tracks playing different patterns against each other.

i love trancy breaks like Hybrid, BT, and Rabbit in the Moon

i sorta like D&B, but after a while it sounds repetitive (love vocal D&B tho)

i sorta like UK Garage (aka 2-step) but it depends on the DJ/Group (Architects, Boy George, and MJ Cole are decent). I HATE MC'S like you cannot believe.

i dont like jungle one bit

It is more difficult, and physically demanding, to mix than 4/4 genres b/c the rhythms of different tracks don't necessarily match so it's harder to beatmatch between different songs. That's the biggest challenge in a nutshell accordin to what a few of our local NY breaks jocks have explained it to me anyway. It also explains why breaks DJs don't do the marathon sets that say the Dannys Howells or Tenaglia would do @ Vinyl, b/c it's more physically taxing on their bodies, especially when they're touring. But that holds true for those who don't as well.

I think those of us who really love it are into breaks b/c of its rhythmic diversity (among other elements). That, and the pauses between beats (the actual BREAK, or rest), are what give it its funky edge. That's where hip hop came from too and imo that form of music is still dance music as well, since despite the emphasis today on MCs, the DJ still plays a critical, albeit no longer the central, role in making the music. That's why if you can dance to breaks, it's very possible you can dance to Latin freestyle (especially from the 80 and early 90s...sorry I'm almost 30 so I grew up on that stuff), hip hop, 2 step, or any form of dnb b/c imo they're all rhythmically related in a way the 4/4 genres are not. Trance & house @ least aren't part of that same rhythmic family, unless they incorporate some sort of break into a track (although nowadays that's happening all the time, it's true).

so what are some songs you guys are listening to? i dont know much about it but every now and then they send some on the mailing list, these are prolly cheesey but still i like the beat, daft punk-musique. diamond- love will bring us back.

so what are you playin?