Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Anyway ever have trouble

Kuro

well i'm not a dj nor have i ever attempted to, but your questioin reminds me of new years at the edge after all had left and I was the last one there Scott Henry set started after MJCole's.

MJ is UK garage and Scott Henry started his set with some harder house (if thats what it is-ala Charles Feelgood) and it took hime like 4 or 5 minutes to change from one style to another...but he didnt go progressive that night.

Originally posted by malanee

Yeah - I do. How do you do it? I bet Shady has an answer!

I can do it, it's just not as easy for me mixing techno/house into techno/house or breaks into breaks. The fact that I'm mixing some shit off CDs (breaks and house) is complicating matters. I'm trying to make a birthday mix for my friend Cat (yes, Malanee, that Cat) and she really digs breaks so I want to make sure to put some in.

Originally posted by malanee

Yeah - I do. How do you do it? I bet Shady has an answer!

It's only difficult if the BPM's are completely off. Some breaks are just too fast to mix with Prog. If it's Progressive Breaks, then it's not very difficult. It shouldn't be difficult to mix any two genres, as long as the BPM of the two tunes are within reason, say no more than + or - 15 BPM difference. Any more than that, and you'll have one pitched all the way up and the other pitched all the way down. And you'll spend a long time adjusting. And you may run out of time all together.

That's how I ended up starting my set at the Edge with a massive trainwreck coming out of the breaks DJ before me. He was spinning at about 140 BPM, and I have no tunes that come even close. So I decided rather than letting the tune play out, I'd try to adjust on the fly. And the result was the most god-awful trainwreck possibly to ever grace a club's speakers. So I'll never mix out of breakbeat if it's the DJ's spinning faster than 130-135 BPM again. But if it's right around 130-135 BPM, then it's no problem. After all, even though the beat is broken, it's still just counting to four.

A tip for doing anything with breakbeat - just match up the first beat of each bar. Rather than trying to match up all four beats, just listen to the first downbeat of each bar and match those up on both records. It's a lot less confusing, at least for me.

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

A tip for doing anything with breakbeat - just match up the first beat of each bar. Rather than trying to match up all four beats, just listen to the first downbeat of each bar and match those up on both records. It's a lot less confusing, at least for me.

That's exactly what I do. Usually I have no problem. It might be using a CD throwing me off because I hadn't tried mixing breaks off a CD or mixing stuff into breaks off a CD until yesterday.