Clubplanet Nightlife Community

So is this Pete Moutso character DC's version of Tony Draper?

highmay

Originally posted by highmay

seems like it...

I dunno. Does this Tony Draper spin shit music? Do you often wonder why Tony Draper has a residency? Do you find that you have a tendency to leave the club as soon as Tony Draper touches the decks? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then we may have a match...

Actually, Tony Draper is beneath that...

As much as I will poke fun, Pete's not a bad DJ, I mean he's certainly no tenaglia or Digweed and has lots of work to go before he ever gets to that, but he's no Tony Draper either. He at least is really into what he does, he doesn't toss whatever crap was on the discount rack at Yoshi's on the decks, and he works hard to improve upon what he is already doing. Any DJ has off nights, drops some bad tracks, but whether or not trance is your thing, he's generally headed in the right direction.

Hey Chyna, give me a gold star :D I'm in such a nice mood today, aren't you proud?

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

I dunno. Does this Tony Draper spin shit music? Do you often wonder why Tony Draper has a residency? Do you find that you have a tendency to leave the club as soon as Tony Draper touches the decks? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then we may have a match...

holy shit...looks like we do...

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

Actually, Tony Draper is beneath that...

As much as I will poke fun, Pete's not a bad DJ, I mean he's certainly no tenaglia or Digweed and has lots of work to go before he ever gets to that, but he's no Tony Draper either. He at least is really into what he does, he doesn't toss whatever crap was on the discount rack at Yoshi's on the decks, and he works hard to improve upon what he is already doing. Any DJ has off nights, drops some bad tracks, but whether or not trance is your thing, he's generally headed in the right direction.

Hey Chyna, give me a gold star :D I'm in such a nice mood today, aren't you proud?

yup, i think i sorta a gree with vixen here, draper sux donkey ass, he sux so much they might as well give jimi his residency.

Originally posted by vicman

yup, i think i sorta a gree with vixen here, draper sux donkey ass, he sux so much they might as well give jimi his residency.

Who exactly is Tony Draper? And why does he suck so much?

I will actually agree that Pete is not TOO bad, if you like trance. But given that I personally would rather have both testicles removed with a dull razor blade and then have my body dropped in the Dead Sea than listen to trance, I would say that my opinion on the matter is a little biased. :D

holy shit...looks like we do...

That's an awfully quick decision to make considering you've never heard him spin, Highmay.

Especially when you're basing that on the opinion of someone who doesn't even like trance to begin with. I only heard Shady spin once but I have to say he has a LOT of talent, and I thought he sounded great on the decks. I didn't hear him long enough that I'd feel comfortable comparing him to someone I've heard spin countless times, like Moutso, but I know I liked what I heard out of Shady better. However, Shady also has a very different style and spins very different stuff from what Moutso spins. His opinion of trance in general is not a favorable one and I can understand that, especially because I prefer house and, depending on my mood, breaks. But as far as trance is concerned, I don't think Moutso and Draper are on the same low-ass, disgraceful level.

I can give you that he's into what he does, but when you have a party with the stress on quality of the DJ's as Glow has, how can you have a DJ with little expierience as your resident? It's different at Buzz, where Scott Henry and Dave Ralph are nationally recognized talents. So whenever they're going to have a regular night, at the very least you're going to get a damn good set.

Moutso CAN be improving, but a space such as Insomnia's with a party such as Glow's aren't geared for a party of "upcoming" talent, such as what you claim Moutso to be.

No matter how hard he works, DJ's will draw a crowd based on their skills and reputation. If Moutso isn't recognized as a DJ of that caliber, why have him as a resident for a party known for having some of the world's best? It makes no sense.

That's an awfully quick decision to make considering you've never heard him spin, Highmay.

Especially when you're basing that on the opinion of someone who doesn't even like trance to begin with. I only heard Shady spin once but I have to say he has a LOT of talent, and I thought he sounded great on the decks. I didn't hear him long enough that I'd feel comfortable comparing him to someone I've heard spin countless times, like Moutso, but I know I liked what I heard out of Shady better. However, Shady also has a very different style and spins very different stuff from what Moutso spins. His opinion of trance in general is not a favorable one and I can understand that, especially because I prefer house and, depending on my mood, breaks. But as far as trance is concerned, I don't think Moutso and Draper are on the same low-ass, disgraceful level.

actually i heard him when he opened up for acosta and when he opened up for tiesto...very stale and questionable mixing and selection...

and yes, i like trance...not as much as house, but i still like it...and whether i like trance or not doesnt really matter when it comes to assessing a DJ...you can recognize when a DJ is skilled, whether you like that music or not...

i dunno, GLOW has some pretty good residents, albeit Moutso who does have off nights but alot of times when I'm in the mood for trance, its not like he's so bad that i leave th club, but he's in general good....but D:Fuse, Tiesto, Corsten, Van Buren are alos residenst there, so as far as trance is coincered I think GLOW is pretty well covered

actually i heard him when he opened up for acosta and when he opened up for tiesto...very stale and questionable mixing and selection...

and yes, i like trance...not as much as house, but i still like it...and whether i like trance or not doesnt really matter when it comes to assessing a DJ...you can recognize when a DJ is skilled, whether you like that music or not...

You heard him for 10 minutes before Acosta, and you said that yourself just 5 minutes ago:

Highmay9: then again I could have laid acosta out to dry...and aly...we were only there for like 10 minutes of moutso's set...you cant judge him on merely one song he dropped

VixenFoxxy: no, i mean on a general basis

VixenFoxxy: i hear him every week

So go ahead and eat those words. I don't know how long you heard him at Tiesto, but at least I wasn't so presumptuous as to try to judge a DJ on hearing him once for a short time (see above).

You are correct in that you don't have to like trance to know if a DJ can spin well, but it has an effect on your opinion of track selection. Think about it - are you gonna be enthused about someone's set if you don't like the type of music they're spinning? of course not. So it's kind of unfair to put that kind of judgement on someone, regardless of how good their skills are.

BTW, who is Tony Draper, and why do people hate him so much?

I think he either spin at Sound Factory or Exit on Friday nights. I can't remember which. I managed to pick that up from the NY CP board and the Twilo board back in the day.

BTW, who is Tony Draper, and why do people hate him so much?

He's the resident at Exit, well no, he WAS the resident at Exit (hehehhe) and he was known total cheese and shitty mixing, among other things. Highmay would know the exact details, I'm sure he'll fill you in when he gets back - actually he has a pretty amusing description...

He's the resident at Exit, well no, he WAS the resident at Exit (hehehhe) and he was known total cheese and shitty mixing, among other things. Highmay would know the exact details, I'm sure he'll fill you in when he gets back - actually he has a pretty amusing description...

and right you are...

Tony Draper was the resident DJ for Exit on friday nights. He was as good as Ja-Rule singing tenor. His mixing was absolutely atrocious. His track selection is as aweful as a 4 year old playing chess. He would play the same played out, year old song again and again and again and again and again and again and again, week in and week out. He would cover up his trainwrecks by using the effects machine and mix CDs made by his friends. He literally had 5 vinyls with him every friday night. But the kicker was that he played cheese...and LOTS OF IT.

I checked him out on a regular basis two summers ago...and I always thought he had potential, but he stayed exactly to the routine which he started with, and it urked the fuck outta me, to the point where I stopped going because I would get too pissed off at how bad he started to sound to me.

Now because he played party songs, and songs that were very simplistic to understand, he gained a following of very young and ignorant kids, and lots of them. If you ask anybody on the NY board who is a seasoned fan of house and trance, they would also agree as to how much a joke Draper is.

The reason why people hate Draper so much is this: Exit has a very big main dancefloor. The club itself is almost as big as entire city block. Now, since his style of shit brought in so many idiots in, and since no one else in the city would ask him to DJ, David Marvisi (the owner of Exit) kept Draper there because he works very cheap, which means more profit for him. It pissed the club goers of NYC off, mainly because Exit has so much potential if you pay the money and bring in a big name DJ. This was finally realized when Exit finally brought in guest DJs (such as Tiesto, Judge Jules, Acosta, Spacegirl, and Ferry Corsten in a few weeks) and they showed Draper up based purely on skill.

Draper finally got fired and now Exit will be bringing in guest DJs on a regular basis.

You are correct in that you don't have to like trance to know if a DJ can spin well, but it has an effect on your opinion of track selection. Think about it - are you gonna be enthused about someone's set if you don't like the type of music they're spinning? of course not. So it's kind of unfair to put that kind of judgement on someone, regardless of how good their skills are.

touche, yet I'm drawing my conclusions on Moutso based on what I heard from him, and which was confirmed by regulars of Glow...HE'S NOT GOOD...

and yes, i DO respect him for loving the music, loving the scene, and actually attempting to DJ...but the bottom line is this: he doesnt deserve that spot...bring in someone with some respect and skill as a resident and youll see the pay off in due time...

regulars at GLOW? I have yet to see Shady at Glow all year, so I don't see how you call that regular. Vic, Shifter, DCsGlow, they're all regulars...

no, my conversations about DJs aren't limited to the people who post here...

this is starting to get silly, and ive already made my case...

Originally posted by scratchapella

they should get william dieter as the new resident, if they stick w/trance. . .have you guys heard him at buzz?

I don't think I've managed to catch him yet. I see him post on the Buzz board. Is he good?

regulars at GLOW? I have yet to see Shady at Glow all year, so I don't see how you call that regular. Vic, Shifter, DCsGlow, they're all regulars...

Actually, I used to go to Glow quite often a few years back. My weekly routine used to be Buzz Friday, Glow Saturday. And I used to hear Pete Moutso quite often. And initially, I have to admit, I enjoyed it. But then I saw the light. And I realized that Pete can't hold Scott Henry's jock. And then I realized that the more I got into the music, the less I liked Pete. And now, I get an automatic gag reflex anytime I hear Moutso's brand of trance. Jaded? Maybe. On to bigger and better things? Possibly. Tired of his brand of music? Most definitely.

I consider trance to be like the pot of dance music. Just like pot is the gateway drug to the harder stuff, trance is the gateway music to other stuff. Just something about it that has appeal to the masses. And that's not to say that everyone moves on. Just like there will always be strictly potheads, there will always be strictly tranceheads. But moving on to some of the other stuff, at least for me - it's kinda like shooting me up with heroin once, and then expecting me to be satisfied with pot and only pot once again. Nothing against Moutso personally, but when you're an addict, and you can't get your fix, you end up hatin' real fast.