Clubplanet Nightlife Community

AIDS Walk NY - Register to Walk and/or please sponsor. $ for a very good cause.

ooana

Hey there guys. I'm doing the AIDS walk NY this May 19th and I wanted to pass on the information to everyone.

This cause is incredibly important to everyone, whether or not you've ever known someone who's lived with or died from AIDS or HIV.

I'm posting to request that those of you who can manage, sponsor me byClicking Here or sponsor someone else you know of who is walking.

If you can't sponsor (or even if you can), please consider walking yourself or simply passing the word around to others about this event.

While funds are incredibly valuable, so is seeing the huge human turn out of support for AIDS & HIV research/edjucation/support systems etc. This is one way we can show the world that there are battles that still need to be fought and MUST one day be won and honor those we've lost or those amazing individuals living with HIV or AIDS.

I walk in memory of my friends that I've lost and in honor of those who are living with HIV and AIDS and to stand beside those who are actively working to keep this cause vital in their own ways.

Here is some information for you all about the event and some statistics about AIDS/HIV. Source for the statistics is Thewww.gmhc.org

Here's the basic info:

AIDS Walk New York is a 10 kilometer fundraising walkathon now in its 17th Year.

Did You Know?

AIDS Walk New York is the world's largest AIDS fundraising event.

In 2001, nearly 40,000 people, a group as diverse as the city itself, participated in the AIDS Walk, collecting more than $4 million.

AIDS Walk New York stands out as a model of community action and cost-efficient fundraising. The priority has always been to have the money raised go directly to vital services to help people living with HIV or AIDS.

AIDS Walk New York benefits GMHC (Gay Men's Health Crisis), the nation's oldest and most comprehensive AIDS Service organization. The organization's staff of 169 and 6,600 dedicated volunteers provide services to more than 11,000 men, women, and children living with HIV and AIDS and their families.

A portion of the net proceeds from the AIDS Walk also goes to dozens of other AIDS organizations within the tri-state area to support programs and services provided by GMHC and other AIDS service organizations across the tri-state region for men, women, and children affected by HIV and AIDS.

Statistics

National

(Sources: CDC "HIV/AIDS Surveillance Report" Vol. 11, No. 2; National Vital Statistics Reports, Vol. 48 No. 11, July 24, 2000)

Reported total AIDS cases in the U.S. through 1999: 733,374

By gender

Male (82%)

Female (18%)

By race/ethnicity

Children younger than 13 (1%)

Whites (43%)

Blacks (37%)

Latino/a (18%)

Asian/Pacific Islander (<1%)

By method of exposure

Men who have sex with men (47%)

Injection drug users (25%)

Heterosexual exposure (10%)

Blood or blood product infection (2%)

Reported total AIDS deaths in the U.S. through 1999: 430,441

Reported number of Americans living with HIV/AIDS through 1999: 412,471

Estimated number of Americans living with HIV infection and with AIDS through 1999 (1999 CDC estimate): 650,000 to 900,000

AIDS is the fifth leading cause of death among Americans aged 25 – 44, and the ninth leading cause of death among Americans aged 15 – 24

Blacks now outnumber whites in new AIDS diagnoses, deaths, and number of persons living with AIDS

The proportion of women living with AIDS in America increased has increased steadily to 23% at the end of 1999.

New York State

(Source: New York State Department of Health HIV/AIDS Quarterly Update, data as of March 31, 2000)

Reported total AIDS cases in New York State through March 31, 2000: 140,648

Reported total AIDS deaths in New York State through March 31, 2000: 84,694

Number of presumed alive New Yorkers (13 and older) with HIV infection and with AIDS through March 31, 2000: 55,176

By gender

Male (74.2%)

Female (25.8%)

By race/ethnicity

Whites (23.4%)

Blacks (43.1%)

Latino/a (32.4%)

Asian/Pacific Islander (<1%)

Native American (<1%)

Other (<1%)

By method of exposure

Men who have sex with men (24.7%)

Injection drug users (39.3%)

Heterosexual exposure (12.1%)

Unknown (21.2%)

All other categories (2.7%)

AIDS is the fifth leading cause of death among Americans aged 25 – 44, and the ninth leading cause of death among Americans aged 15 – 24

Blacks now outnumber whites in new AIDS diagnoses, deaths, and number of persons living with AIDS

The proportion of women living with AIDS in America increased has increased steadily to 23% at the end of 1999.

New York City

(Source: New York City Department of Health Office of AIDS Surveillance, Estimates of Persons Living with AIDS in NYC, 1999 Edition, Issued March 2000)

Reported total AIDS cases in New York City through 1999: 116,698

Reported total AIDS deaths in New York City through 1999: 71,648

Reported number of New York City residents living with HIV/AIDS through 1999: 43,150

By gender

Male (74.2%)

Female (25.8%)

By race/ethnicity

Whites (23%)

Blacks (42%)

Latino/a (34%)

Asian/Pacific Islander (1%)

Native American (<1%)

Unknown (<1%)

By method of exposure

Men who have sex with men (38%)

Injection drug users (40%)

Heterosexual exposure (11%)

Unknown (11%)

All other categories (<1%)

_26202163721087.jpg

I actually just sent in my registration too. I took two years off, for logistical reasons, but now I so excited to do it again. Me and my non-board friend Sybiller will be walking. Any other CPer's walking? We could have a meet-up....3 pm by the Power Bar vendor :laugh:

Oona, I haven't seen you since the Pride Parade! QUelle coincidence.