Clubplanet Nightlife Community

attn: DJs

ibclubbin

do you think its more important to have new, unreleased muzik everytime you perform, even if you are spinning tracks you arent completely familiar with (as far as buildups, breaks, drops, etc) or to be a supertight mixer with slightly older muzik?

BG

it's not about the promo's. it's really really really not. it's the musik you have, and how you work it. im not saying play every vocal from 98', but if you know how to work your records right, you can pull it off.

in jersey i guess you kind of have to stay on top of your vocals though, i dunno. do your own thing, thats my opinion! :cool:

i think the mixing should be tight so know all of your records even if they are a little old, but please throw in a few new bangers for the people dancing that heard all the songs you've been playing for a while now. PLay a few of those hot promos for them.

I think a lot of it depends on where you're playing.

Unfortunatelly, sometimes you go out shopping and get some great new songs, but when you play that night, you don't and can't play anything you just bought. It just won't work that night. It would be a great thing to not worry about playing for the crowd & just play what you want to hear. Sometimes you can almost do that. It depends on where you play.

No matter what, make sure your mixes are tight whether the music is old or new. That way no one can talk too bad about ya.

For example,

If you have to play a certain way due to the crowd & the

club, but your mixes are tight & people are having fun &

dancing; no one should talk bad about you. If they do, then

they don't know shit about djing. Don't get me wrong, you

can't play shit music all night.

I LOVE TO PULL OUT SOME CLASSICS WHEN I PLAY!

(not 70's classics)

It depends. Sometimes people will give me their new tracks at the club and ask if I'll spin them, and usually I won't since I don't know the tune and I won't know if it'll suck or not. But I was pleasantly surprised last Friday when this drag queen gave me a copy of her new track and asked if I'd play it so she could do a performance to it. She had it set up really nice so I could mix in and out of it really tight, it had a good tempo since I usually play above 140bpm all the time, and the track turned out to be pretty sick.

Depends on what crowd you're playing to. If you already know the crowd doesn't give a shit one way or the other, then play a bunch of promos you don't know that well just to guage reaction and get used to the tracks. If you know the crowd is actually listening more to what you're playing, you want to keep the mixes as tight as possiblre, but it's still good to throw in a few tracks the crowd hasn't heard before. This doesn't necessarily even mean promos....if you're able to pull out something really old that would be before what most people would know, or if it's just some steal you found digging through dollar racks, that can be just as effective. If they haven't heard it before, it's new to them. Also, it can be cool to drop an older track that was once beaten to death but people haven't heard recently. A friend of mine dropped Music Sounds Better With You the other night, and even though a year ago I probably would've smacked him for playing it, now it was just something that everyone was able to recognize and enjoy since it had been such a long time since people had heard it....