Jump to content
Clubplanet Nightlife Community
Sign in to follow this  
spinsaikel

A new "twilo" like club in NYC?

Recommended Posts

I had just recieved this email today. Thought you guys might want to check it out. I just hope that what is said below will happen.

NYC Twilo/Club Update

The Twilo update.

After much debate and dispute, one of Twilo's former owners made a public statement to the effect that Glowbana will be opening in 5 or 6 weeks. A quick check of the calender nicely lines that up with confirmed dates for Sasha and Digweed in New York. Now, the venue was undisclosed for those dates, but has recently been announced as the Roxy. This might confirm much speculation that Glowbana is indeed going to be Roxy outfitted with a Phazon sound system. Looks like we'll know come April.

The Steve Dash mixer is completed and has been tested out at Club Shelter on the old Twilo system by Timmy Regisford with great success. The mixer will be spending WMC at Crobar for a true run-through.

Crobar has publicly stated that they intend to open a new club in NYC (with phazon) as further expansion to their two clubs in Chicago and Miami. They are currently petitioning for a liquore license, no announcement has been made about a venue,! though some have suggested that they are eyeing up a certain warehouse on w. 27th.

Glowbana...

It is not actually a "new twilo", it is it's own seperate identity... it is going to be called glowbana and will be done by the people who used to run the Shelter nights at Vinyl... shelter now has bought up the space that used to be named Speeed... not only that, but they also purchased the Phazon

system from Twilo (including the system from the Y2K lounge; this is where the "new twilo" rumour lies... this is indeed a full

Phazon installation as Steve Dash is doing the acoustical work as we speak... the processors from Twilo were eliminated and brand new ones were purchased which will give the sound a much warmer feel to it... the mixers will ALL be the new Steve Dash models... he grew weary of trying to track

down parts for the Ureis and never liked the Rane knob mixer so he made his own... The space itself will no longer be! known as Speeed... look for

Shelter's symbol to appear on the face of the building

very soon...

This will be one of the PREMIER rooms in New York and expect LEGENDARY parties to happen there... This is absolutely the beginning of

a new era in NYC clubbing... think about it... all the rooms that defined clubland in NYC during the 90's have pretty much all shut their doors or

grown insignificant in the wider scale of things... W 27th St. is DONE.

The Limelight is a joke and Roxy will always be a roller rink, regardless of the rumoured Phazon ends up in there... New rooms are opening up... there are rumours of a 18,000 squ ft abandoned flour factory on the west side that is being remodeled as we speak into a landmark second-to-none super club. Glowbana keeps surfacing as Twilo's phoenix rising from the ashes... As depressed as the city's club outlook has been, I imagine that we as a city will experience a renaissance in club culture...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by wideskies

ooh, a flour factory. do we get complimentary loaves of bread upon entrance?...

Hah, I totally mixed that part. I thought it was just a typo. I think it would be great if that night was sponsered by Gold Medal all purpose flour. And upon entry we would recieve complimentary 5lb bags of flour! In the vip lounge, there will be a martha stewart lookalike doing a 7-grain bread baking demonstration. Sigh...if only I owned a club.

Sopha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by spinsaikel

Hah, I totally mixed that part. I thought it was just a typo. I think it would be great if that night was sponsered by Gold Medal all purpose flour. And upon entry we would recieve complimentary 5lb bags of flour! In the vip lounge, there will be a martha stewart lookalike doing a 7-grain bread baking demonstration. Sigh...if only I owned a club.

Sopha

"missed' I meant. urrgh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

speaking of Shelter, i do indeed hope they'll be putting in new bass cabinets or whatever they're called 'cause the sound is eardrum-splitting in there now...

and as for a renaissance in club culture... although there isn't any Twilo right now to provide that AMAZING sound and various international DJ stars at a wallet-emptying price, a lot of people *i* know certainly don't feel the city is suffering too badly after T's shutdown. in fact, it's opened up opportunities for lesser-known venues to expand their clientelle-- and it certainly has made me go out to various smaller clubs and lounge/bars that i might not have otherwise. :]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by wideskies

speaking of Shelter, i do indeed hope they'll be putting in new bass cabinets or whatever they're called 'cause the sound is eardrum-splitting in there now...

and as for a renaissance in club culture... although there isn't any Twilo right now to provide that AMAZING sound and various international DJ stars at a wallet-emptying price, a lot of people *i* know certainly don't feel the city is suffering too badly after T's shutdown. in fact, it's opened up opportunities for lesser-known venues to expand their clientelle-- and it certainly has made me go out to various smaller clubs and lounge/bars that i might not have otherwise. :]

What's shelter and vinyl like? I heard that vinyl has a no glow-stick policy. if that's true then, that's definitely my kind of place! i've only been to twilo and roxy so far. I sure get around don't I?

Sopha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by spinsaikel

What's shelter and vinyl like? I heard that vinyl has a no glow-stick policy. if that's true then, that's definitely my kind of place! i've only been to twilo and roxy so far. I sure get around don't I?

Sopha

yup, no glowstix at vinyl...and its dry..roadtrip te first weekend in may!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by spinsaikel

After much debate and dispute, one of Twilo's former owners made a public statement to the effect that Glowbana will be opening in 5 or 6 weeks..

Are they REALLY going to call the club GLOWBANA? could they have picked a worse name?

how about Shineycake?

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by vicman

yup, no glowstix at vinyl...and its dry..roadtrip te first weekend in may!

No glowsticks on Friday night for sure, but I hear people still crack em on Saturday nights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah i read that info on new york board a couple weeks ago..twilo *glowbana*, crobar, and a rumored space opening...shiiit so glad to be moving to nyc!!! Now superclub will no longer mean insomnia and dream :vomit2:

now all i need is a job there........damn technicalities.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by wideskies

speaking of Shelter, i do indeed hope they'll be putting in new bass cabinets or whatever they're called 'cause the sound is eardrum-splitting in there now...

and as for a renaissance in club culture... although there isn't any Twilo right now to provide that AMAZING sound and various international DJ stars at a wallet-emptying price, a lot of people *i* know certainly don't feel the city is suffering too badly after T's shutdown. in fact, it's opened up opportunities for lesser-known venues to expand their clientelle-- and it certainly has made me go out to various smaller clubs and lounge/bars that i might not have otherwise. :]

Thats well and good, but I still miss Twilo.

If Twilo was still open I would be able to check out S&D every month, instead of waiting 7 months to hear them in a cramped venue (World) playing till only 6am.

Hell, if Twilo was open I wouldn't have to hear Howells, Pappa, etc in a shithole like Vinyl on a crappy ass system.

BUT, now that Twilo has closed I don't make those weekly trips to NYC anymore thus saving me a LOT of $$$ (its amazing just how much you spend on tolls and gas travelling up the turnpike)!

:D:D:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by wahoo

yeah i read that info on new york board a couple weeks ago..twilo *glowbana*, crobar, and a rumored space opening...shiiit so glad to be moving to nyc!!! Now superclub will no longer mean insomnia and dream :vomit2:

now all i need is a job there........damn technicalities.....

Guess you don't like Buzz huh?

Shit, I consider that the only "superclub" in this area! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by raver_mania

Hell, if Twilo was open I wouldn't have to hear Howells, Pappa, etc in a shithole like Vinyl on a crappy ass system.

I kinda like the fact that its a shithole (not the sound system, though) - kinda gives the place an underground feel to it. No?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by nautilus60

I kinda like the fact that its a shithole (not the sound system, though) - kinda gives the place an underground feel to it. No?

I agree. Except for the sound system and the fact that it was a billion degrees in there I liked the crappy little venue. Given the choice I'd prefer that Twilo still be open, if course, but you should enjoy the stuff that's still around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Kuro

I agree. Except for the sound system and the fact that it was a billion degrees in there I liked the crappy little venue. Given the choice I'd prefer that Twilo still be open, if course, but you should enjoy the stuff that's still around.

The night that i went to twilo (and the only night for that matter), Danny Tenaglia was Tag teaming with Carl cox. This was presidents day last year. Yes, it was a mad house in there. I thought that twilo would at least be bigger than buzz but it's no bigger than the main room of buzz. Anyway, I had a great time regardless of the numerous sweaty guidos i had peel away from my body just to move thru the crowd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by raver_mania

Guess you don't like Buzz huh?

Shit, I consider that the only "superclub" in this area! :D

y'got me on buzz...busted speakers, overcrowded madness and all....but great acts if you can fit in there! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Kuro

I agree. Except for the sound system and the fact that it was a billion degrees in there I liked the crappy little venue. Given the choice I'd prefer that Twilo still be open, if course, but you should enjoy the stuff that's still around.

Vinyl reminds of The Edge, or the other way around, th esmall crappy venue with an awful sound system.

I remember seeing Lawler at Twilo, fawkin' place was a madhouse..it was also the last I went :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by vicman

Vinyl reminds of The Edge, or the other way around, th esmall crappy venue with an awful sound system.

I remember seeing Lawler at Twilo, fawkin' place was a madhouse..it was also the last I went :(

hmmmm the last time i went to the edge was to see luis diaz in september or october....and it was DEAD. i've no idea how that place stays in business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by funkyfreshdc

hmmmm the last time i went to the edge was to see luis diaz in september or october....and it was DEAD. i've no idea how that place stays in business.

The only time I was there, the place was also empty. The people that worked there were awful. They just didn't give a shit about anything and poured my nine dollar red and vodka as slow as you please. There were two women behind the bar and one of them had her ass parked on a stool and they never once stopped their conversation while they were serving me. Rude, bored, staff and over price drinks - nice combo.

I had a great time, but it was the company, not the atmosphere. Could be a cool venue is somebody, anybody gave a rat's ass and did something about it.

The bathrooms were nice and clean though, but that may have been more a result of the place being empty.= that diligent cleaning.

My two cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×