Clubplanet Nightlife Community

wow - sad:(

i was doing some research for something, and just had a reality check. min wage is $5.15/hr. that means for someone working 40hours/week for 52weeks/yr (no vacation, no holidays, etc), that's only $10,712.00/yr. that is so sad! isn't the poverty line like $15,000/yr or something? i just thought that was crazy stuff. :(

Originally posted by MadamMillie

i was doing some research for something, and just had a reality check. min wage is $5.15/hr. that means for someone working 40hours/week for 52weeks/yr (no vacation, no holidays, etc), that's only $10,712.00/yr. that is so sad! isn't the poverty line like $15,000/yr or something? i just thought that was crazy stuff. :(

And I thought I got paid shit. That is pretty sad.

I know that even Mcdonalds in Hawaii, which is cheaper to live in Hawaii than it is DC/NVA, pays like $9.00 an hour.

some farmworkers get paid even less, (yes they get paid less than minimal wage) something like $2.50-$3.00 and hour and a certain amount depending on the amount of fruits or vegetables they pick or plant in a determined day.

I also think that the poorest area in the US is the area or Harlingen, TX, alongside the US/Mexico border.

Originally posted by vicman

some farmworkers get paid even less, (yes they get paid less than minimal wage) something like $2.50-$3.00 and hour and a certain amount depending on the amount of fruits or vegetables they pick or plant in a determined day.

That is true, my father is a tobacco farmer and he gets a lot of migrant workers from mexico during the summer to help harvest and stuff but he still pays them like 8-10 bucks an hour. But harvesting tobacco is hard ass work, thats why I moved the hell out of the house.

Yes that isn't much, but that is why it's called MINIMUM wage. It could be a lot worse, think of people in underdeveloped countries or third world countires, likeMalaysia, Thailand, Armenia, Bangladesh, the list goes on and on. This is America and there are millions of opportunities, you can be whatever you want. If not then you get minimum wage. Nobody here says you HAVE to work this job or you have to work in this factory and make these sneakers or be a farmer and this is what you have to grow, oh and by the way you have to give us 1/2 of all your profits. Just my brief opinion.....

Originally posted by therunner

That is true, my father is a tobacco farmer and he gets a lot of migrant workers from mexico during the summer to help harvest and stuff but he still pays them like 8-10 bucks an hour. But harvesting tobacco is hard ass work, thats why I moved the hell out of the house.

:idea: good benefits though

Originally posted by pgiddy

Yes that isn't much, but that is why it's called MINIMUM wage. It could be a lot worse, think of people in underdeveloped countries or third world countires, likeMalaysia, Thailand, Armenia, Bangladesh, the list goes on and on. This is America and there are millions of opportunities, you can be whatever you want. If not then you get minimum wage. Nobody here says you HAVE to work this job or you have to work in this factory and make these sneakers or be a farmer and this is what you have to grow, oh and by the way you have to give us 1/2 of all your profits. Just my brief opinion.....

u need to take into account cost of living in different areas too

also sometimes people really don't have a choice but to work in sweatshops, etc, b/c there is no other opportunities for them or, in the worst cases, they are literally sold into slavery

and vic, i've been to harlingen and have a good friend from there, it IS pretty bad

and that's the FEDERAL min wage, of course people who are working here illegally are prolly gonna get paid less

Originally posted by pgiddy

free smokes

I will bet you that you can't smoke two cigarettes straight from the barn. You ass will be so sick. I have had the tobacco leaves fall in my eye from hanging it in the barn to dry up, and got sick from all the chemicals and pure nicotine that in it.

and vic, i've been to harlingen and have a good friend from there, it IS pretty bad

and that's the FEDERAL min wage, of course people who are working here illegally are prolly gonna get paid less

my parents live in McAllen, which is pretty close to Harlingen. Your right, if they are working illigally, chances are they get paid even less, also, chances are they have no type of insurance whatsoever, and farmworking is a ver hazardous job, not onlybecause of the risk of getting physicallly injured from a machine or developing back problems form carrying stuff etc. but also due to pesticide exposure.

Guest jroo

so what? if your living at home with 10 other people, have no car and dont pay bills or grocceries. that's hella more money than i make. i dont get 10 grand a year to piss around with. and you get money back at tax time too. fuck, where do i sign up?