Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Grandmaster Flash IN-STORE @ VirginMega Union Sq

Flash is Back Tour 2002 - NYC

Flash is performing an in-store on May 7th (day of release) to support his new CD "Essential Mix-Classic Edition." See Grandmaster Flash spin LIVE at:

Virgin Megastore Union Square

14th & Broadway

Tuesday, May 7th at 6:00 p.m.

flash_press_230.jpg

Also, an Essential Mix CD Release Party:

SPA

76 East 13th Street

Doors Open at 10:00 pm

10p-11p Meet & Greet, Record release/listening Party

12a-2a Flash Set

New York— Grandmaster Flash is a bona-fide hip-hop legend, who with his group The Furious 5, was responsible for such seminal rap hits as "The Message" and "White Lines." As a master DJ, his work of the last 20 years still influences DJ’s, turntablists and musicians around the world.

Flash in association with Essential/ffrr; has now put together a seamlessly mixed selection of songs culled from his formative years growing up in the South Bronx. ESSENTIAL MIX: CLASSIC EDITION is released on Tuesday May 7th and contains 17 of the best club hits centered around the classic New York electro DJ style of the early 1980’s that Flash helped to make famous.

The Fatback Band, Maze featuring Frankie Beverly, Positive Force, Liquid Liquid, Denroy Morgan, and D Train provided a soundtrack for the kids who created hip-hop back in the mid 1970’s. The soul and funk that permeated urban America during this time provided fodder for not only early turntable tricks like scratching and sampling, but also what became known as the Quick Mix Theory; the process of blending one break with another, invented by Flash nearly three decades ago.

"When I first created the style, I played in a few parks in the area, but nobody really quite understood what it was that I was doing," recalls Flash, who was inspired by local peers Kool Herc, Grand Wizard Theodore and Pete DJ Jones to play around with his vinyl as a way of entertaining the neighbours.

ESSENTIAL MIX: CLASSIC EDITION, blended by the connoisseur himself, offers groundbreaking tracks like James Browns’ "Give It Up Or Turn it Loose," the unforgettable Afrika Bambaataa and the Soul Sonic Force track "Planet Rock," Indeep’s "Last Night A DJ Saved My Lif." There’s "I Can’t Wait’ from Nu Shooz’s and of course Blondie’s "Rapture," a new wave/rap hybrid which at the time exemplified the influence of the Bronx on Downtown culture in the early 80’s.

The Essential series has prided itself in spotlighting the most talented deejays in the world. This album features the DJ that paved the way for them, Grandmaster Flash; universally recognized as the man who put the craft into sound selection and who inspired a generation to stand behind the decks.

ESSENTIAL MIX: CLASSIC EDITION is the latest offering from the ESSENTIAL series that includes mix records from some of the most respected DJs in the world such as Carl Cox, Peter Rauhofer, Pete Tong and Sander Kleinenberg.