Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Glow questions

I am going to Glow this weekend to see Mauro. It is my first visit Glow, so I want to know stuff about the club like how late it's open, the best time to show up, are there usually lines to get in, any good places nearby to pre-game, any good places to eat after the club, experiences with the dress code, are the drinks watered down, etc.. Any info would be a great help.

Thanks,

Dave

Here's a link to their site:

http://www.panoramai.com/v2.0/frames/frames_glow.html

Lines are bad and you'll wait twice as long in VIP w/ no guarantee you'll get in. If you want to avoid the lines - def. show up before 11pm. The place is a little dressy - no sneakers or jeans. The diner in Adam's Morgan is a good after hours eating spot and isn't too far from Glow. Drinks are decent but pricey. I would wear really comfortable shoes. They don't have a real dance floor and the concrete is hell on your back and knees! There are plenty of places to sit down and the bathrooms aren't too disgusting. ENJOY!

I'll be at glow this Saturday as well, which will make it only my 2nd time, however, I can offer you my experience. The dress code seems to be ambigous, since it's not clear whether or not tennies shoes and casual wear is allowed.

My first experience at Glow was this: Guys could not wear baggy clothes, this included cargo like pants (e.g. lithium gear, addidas, etc), or tennies. As for girls, it didn't seem like the bouncers cared as long as they thought we were made up in some way (e.g. make-up and/or clothing). Sorry, but it's the truth. With that said, I've recently been informed that tennies and jeans are OK. Here's a piece of advice a friend gave to my bf: Bring an extra shirt, pair of non-denim pants, and nice shoes just incase.

I remember the drinks ran about $10 for top-shelf, for example, Belvedere; liquor, such as Absolute, Bombay, Segrams, etc, will probably cost $9 with a mixer; and well-drinks cost about $7-8.

Originally posted by ~surreal~

I'll be at glow this Saturday as well, which will make it only my 2nd time, however, I can offer you my experience. The dress code seems to be ambigous, since it's not clear whether or not tennies shoes and casual wear is allowed.

My first experience at Glow was this: Guys could not wear baggy clothes, this included cargo like pants (e.g. lithium gear, addidas, etc), or tennies. As for girls, it didn't seem like the bouncers cared as long as they thought we were made up in some way (e.g. make-up and/or clothing). Sorry, but it's the truth. With that said, I've recently been informed that tennies and jeans are OK. Here's a piece of advice a friend gave to my bf: Bring an extra shirt, pair of non-denim pants, and nice shoes just incase.

I remember the drinks ran about $10 for top-shelf, for example, Belvedere; liquor, such as Absolute, Bombay, Segrams, etc, will probably cost $9 with a mixer; and well-drinks cost about $7-8.

Yeah - the bouncers totally suck. That's why if you're a guy I would recommend making it a little dressier - that way they can't deny you entrance for that at least!

I have nothing good to say about Glow. The experience is shitty from the moment you step into the slowest line in DC, to getting yelled at by a powertripping bouncer, to then getting your balls groped by the powertripping bouncer who's doing a "routine" search, to then hearing Pete Moutso drop the shittiest records that would never even be seen in Yoshi's "Clearance" bin.

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

I have nothing good to say about Glow. The experience is shitty from the moment you step into the slowest line in DC, to getting yelled at by a powertripping bouncer, to then getting your balls groped by the powertripping bouncer who's doing a "routine" search, to then hearing Pete Moutso drop the shittiest records that would never even be seen in Yoshi's "Clearance" bin.

punk, so how was ny?

Originally posted by vicman

punk, so how was ny?

A lot of big room music in small venues. Made me wish those guys were at Buzz.

Thurs - Trendroid at Filter 14 - Killer. Dropped some of the phattest beats I've heard in a while. I found out that this track that I first heard on the Satoshi Tomiie Liquid Room set that I've been trying to find since I first heard it was actually a Saeed & Palash track. That made my night. I'd been trying to figure out the name of that track for two months. Trendroid dropped it, and I jumped up on the booth to look at the label. And on it, spinning round and round, was "Saeed & Palash - Watchin' U". It's like doing a blind taste test and figuring out for yourself that yes, you really do like the shit you say you like. :D

Fri - Quivver at Baktun - Killer yet again. His mixing is quite possibly tighter than S & D combined.

Sat - Pussied out and sipped on Martinis and wine at a bar on the 8th floor of the Marriot Marquis in Time Square. Nice view. Great drinks.

Pros - Big DJ's all over the place.

Cons - The venues are nice, but suck fat cocks for big time music. Filter 14 and Baktun are smaller than Red. The sound is decent, but lacks the echo and bounce needed to make the nasty tribal stuff nastier. And it's much too small for people to be bouncing to the harder stuff. They're really more suited for the booty loungey Tom B. type of house. It made me appreciate Red and Buzz that much more. Not only for quality, but they really do a good job of keeping the music and vibe appropriate for the venue. Buzz - the big room, nasty get down music. Red - the loungey, chilled out, groovey music. Even when Saeed spins at Red, it's all groovey house and tech house. The music never gets too big for the room.

I think it's cool that the big DJ's go to tons of venues in NYC, but I think since they don't have a good big time club anymore, the big DJ's are forced to try to bang it out in small clubs, and it really just seems like they're forcing the issue.

Oh, another BIG con - DT cancelled his Vinyl gig on Friday. AND the bouncers at Vinyl suck a big fat cock as well. They may have gone to the same bouncer school as the dude from Glow. It's like, hey, asshole, your main headliner for tonight cancelled. How about at least showing us a bit of courtesy since we're already pissed off as it is!

Had a great time overall, but I think liked sipping Martinis at the lounge the best. I think I'm getting old... :D