Clubplanet Nightlife Community

vinyl friday

Originally posted by rich4468

Are you asking how I was booked in the first place?

nope, i was just wondering bc i hadnt seen that before, either here or on NB. i guess i need to quit working and start paying better attention :confused:

take care.

I got my decks and started learning in April 2000

WOW that's an amazingly short time. I got my decks perhaps a month or two before you did. Bravo, man. I'd love to check you out sometime soon and hear some good sounds :)

Originally posted by johnchichi

nope, i was just wondering bc i hadnt seen that before, either here or on NB. i guess i need to quit working and start paying better attention :confused:

take care.

No no, it's been sort of quiet... there will be stickers on the flyers.

Originally posted by bustaknut2001

Rich, what kind of turntables did you first buy and what mixer? Sorry to ask all these questions, but I'm curious. Also, what kind of music did you like pre-Tenaglia at Tunnel? Did you used to go to the original Sound Factory?

No worries.

I own a pair of Gemini Direct Drive XL-600's. I won't upgrade to 1200's until these things stop working completely. However, I do my demo's at a friend's house on a pair of 1200's; they do hold the groove and sound better than my Gemini 1200's. My mixer was a Numark cheapie, 2 channels, channel EQ, nothing fancy.

As far as musical tastes, I'm older (34) so I've listened to all types of music in the last 20 years or so... you name it, I've listened to it... well, except for country really... ;)

The original Sound Factory is from before I started clubbing in 1997. I went to Junior's Arena party @ Palladium & Danny's Twilo party back then.

2 way street here... answer your own questions :)

Well, I'm 30 and I want to start dj'ing but feel like it's too late. I want to know what turntables to buy and what the difference is between 1200's and 1210's. Also, will I have to go out and buy a receiver and speakers or will my mini stereo due?

How did you learn to beat match? Just a lot of practice I guess.

I used to go to Junior at Sound Factory circa 1994-95. I went to Tunnel when he was there later, but I don't believe I heard Danny there. I believe he was already at Twilo?

Well, I'm 30 and I want to start dj'ing but feel like it's too late. I want to know what turntables to buy and what the difference is between 1200's and 1210's. Also, will I have to go out and buy a receiver and speakers or will my mini stereo due?

How did you learn to beat match? Just a lot of practice I guess.

I used to go to Junior at Sound Factory circa 1994-95. I went to Tunnel when he was there later, but I don't believe I heard Danny there. I believe he was already at Twilo?

I started @ age 32, so I obviously didn't think it was too late... :)

1200's & 1210's differ slightly in that the 1210's don't have the center click quartz lock... they have a button instead with no click spot in the middle. However, when you play out most places will have the old 1200's which means that you should keep that in mind when you're practicing... usually it just means adjusting the record you're mixing into a little up or down to get the pitch control of the record you're mixing in away from that zero click as when the light comes on you WILL lose your mix as it's kinda wonky right there.

I learned using a mini stereo. All you need is 2 speakers that will allow you to hear clearly. Alot of people will tell you that you need to go out and buy alot of expensive top of the line equipment but that's not necessary. When you're starting out all you need are the bare minimum to learn the basics: mixing one record into another.

As far as HOW to learn how to beatmatch, I guess all I can say is practice practice practice... get 2 copies of the same record and ride them over one another... try keeping 2 different records on beat without using your headphones... keep your headphone level as LOW as you can and still hear it... split your focus between the kick and the snare... sometimes it's easier to mix using the high end sounds rather than the bass-y sounds as these tend to spread out in club environments...

Also:

When you're learning, keep in mind that most major NYC clubs have a Urei mixer. This is a knob mixer that does not have ANY of the bells and whistles you might be used to on your fancy mixer at home: no channel EQ's, no headphone mix feature, no headphone split feature, no cross fader, no gain/trim control, etc. etc. If you come to rely on any of those features to get you through your mixes you're gonna be in sorry shape when you step foot in a major club booth and realize that all you've got to use is this Urei.

Learn using only the channel faders and only have the channel you're cueing up in your headphones... leave the channel EQ's alone... Now when you've LEARNED how to mix using levels you can start messing with those other things as a lot of the smaller lounges will have mixers with those features... but for starting out, learn the basics and leave the rest for later.

I wish I could have heard Junior @ Sound Factory... People I know who went have such incredible memories of those parties and the legendary things that Junior did... I heard him last about 2 years ago and I was apalled... and my friends who used to be HUGE Arena heads can't stand Exit now... It really is a shame because from what I understand he used to be SOOOO good. But then again, so was Oakenfold. :)

I started @ age 32, so I obviously didn't think it was too late... :)

1200's & 1210's differ slightly in that the 1210's don't have the center click quartz lock... they have a button instead with no click spot in the middle. However, when you play out most places will have the old 1200's which means that you should keep that in mind when you're practicing... usually it just means adjusting the record you're mixing into a little up or down to get the pitch control of the record you're mixing in away from that zero click as when the light comes on you WILL lose your mix as it's kinda wonky right there.

I learned using a mini stereo. All you need is 2 speakers that will allow you to hear clearly. Alot of people will tell you that you need to go out and buy alot of expensive top of the line equipment but that's not necessary. When you're starting out all you need are the bare minimum to learn the basics: mixing one record into another.

As far as HOW to learn how to beatmatch, I guess all I can say is practice practice practice... get 2 copies of the same record and ride them over one another... try keeping 2 different records on beat without using your headphones... keep your headphone level as LOW as you can and still hear it... split your focus between the kick and the snare... sometimes it's easier to mix using the high end sounds rather than the bass-y sounds as these tend to spread out in club environments...

Also:

When you're learning, keep in mind that most major NYC clubs have a Urei mixer. This is a knob mixer that does not have ANY of the bells and whistles you might be used to on your fancy mixer at home: no channel EQ's, no headphone mix feature, no headphone split feature, no cross fader, no gain/trim control, etc. etc. If you come to rely on any of those features to get you through your mixes you're gonna be in sorry shape when you step foot in a major club booth and realize that all you've got to use is this Urei.

Learn using only the channel faders and only have the channel you're cueing up in your headphones... leave the channel EQ's alone... Now when you've LEARNED how to mix using levels you can start messing with those other things as a lot of the smaller lounges will have mixers with those features... but for starting out, learn the basics and leave the rest for later.

Thanks for all the info! Really really helpful.

How do you mix records without a cross fader?

Thanks for all the info! Really really helpful.

How do you mix records without a cross fader?

You leave the cross fader in the middle and use the channel faders to mix...