Clubplanet Nightlife Community

stuff to do in dc

I apologize for posting this question, i'm sure a zillion others posted it, but clubs come and go, so i'll ask it again

I've been lurking on this board for a few months now, mainly in the NYC section because I usually go clubbing at Exit. i'm so out of touch w/ the scene here even though I live in dc. i'm too busy watching the world cup to go to nyc this month.

what clubs do you recommend? where do most club planet people hang out? I occasionally go to buzz, i tried glow last week.

I hope to run into some of you some time.

thanx alot

I am from Baltimore and new to CP also. When we go to DC we usually go to Buzz or Glow. I have not been anywhere else, but I have heard that the Edge is decent.

How is Exit?

We were just in NYC last weekend, but we went to the Roxy and SF.

What kind of scene are you looking for? Buzz is 18 and up and gets lots of great talent - but is definitely more of a rave scene.

Glow gets more trance DJs and seems to be a little more upper scale. But, the bouncers suck.

For a great lounge party - Modern on Thursdays or Sundays with Buster (who posts here) - downtempo and progressive.

For house - Five on Saturdays is starting to get some pretty good talent.

HTH!

Ok so you're going to get a million answers and well perhaps a few BAD answers as well..... as there are more than a couple people on this board that hate exit(just to warn you).

Buzz is where we usually go - cause they have the some of the best DJ's come through - much like exit in that respect. Insomnia/Glow is a sometimes thing - most of us have been put off from it, but haven't been in a while and perhaps it's gotten better. Our main problem was the guestlist line/lack there of/it never opens before they close it - thus making paying the money to get in a smarter option if you can convince one of the security guards that's what you would prefer to do cause they are too busy trying to handle the irate/pissed off people in the guestlist line. Personally if the back is open and having a party - head there!!! They open up to the rest of the club at midnight and there is a small line there.....

Edge had some good parties - haven't heard too much about the place recently - the problem there is the sound..... ouch!!!!

Then there are a million other places you could check out and people post places all the time here - new parties whatever.

Some of us also go to Modern on Thrusdays and Sundays - guess it depends on how tired and broke we all are.

Hope it helped - and good luck with some of the responses y'all are going to get!!!

Originally posted by malanee

For house - Five on Saturdays is starting to get some pretty good talent.

HTH!

Starting to get good talent? where the hell have you been? They've always had good talent come through. Last month they had the 2 bitches tour and tony humphries come through. when 5 just opened they had dj's such as doc martin, king britt, and I couldve sworn I saw josh wink on the lineup. I know ruth, the three-oh isnt exactly treating you right these days huh?

so many places

CLUBS:

buzz/nation

edge

1223 (dont recommend)

platinum (dont recommend)

spot (dont recommend - is that even still open?)

LOUNGES/SUSHI BARS:

dragonfly

18th st lounge

modern

top of the hill:D (once a month only for the revaluation parties)

iron gate

4th estate

andalu

murali's

lots more, i'm forgetting a lot

Originally posted by MadamMillie

so many places

CLUBS:

buzz/nation

edge

1223 (dont recommend)

platinum (dont recommend)

spot (dont recommend - is that even still open?)

LOUNGES/SUSHI BARS:

dragonfly

18th st lounge

modern

top of the hill:D (once a month only for the revaluation parties)

iron gate

4th estate

andalu

murali's

lots more, i'm forgetting a lot

btw, i asked my other roomate to tell my other roomate to return the call, went to sleep at 9:30.

Originally posted by spinsaikel

Starting to get good talent? where the hell have you been? They've always had good talent come through. Last month they had the 2 bitches tour and tony humphries come through. when 5 just opened they had dj's such as doc martin, king britt, and I couldve sworn I saw josh wink on the lineup. I know ruth, the three-oh isnt exactly treating you right these days huh?

Shaddup you tutu wearing fairy!:tongue:

Originally posted by sauvee88

there are more than a couple people on this board that hate exit(just to warn you).

that's true. for every person that likes Exit, there are 10+ that dislike it. They get some wicked djs, and the guys are sleazy but cute, so I go. I was hoping glow was similar, AvB was amazing btw. Buzz is way too raver for me, but oh the talent!

Edge had some good parties - haven't heard too much about the place recently - the problem there is the sound..... ouch!!!!

I thought they were going to shut that place, the gov't bought it or something?

Then there are a million other places you could check out and people post places all the time here - new parties whatever.

Some of us also go to Modern on Thrusdays and Sundays - guess it depends on how tired and broke we all are.

Hope it helped - and good luck with some of the responses y'all are going to get!!!

thanx. Where is modern? Someone mentioned a stack of places, and I couldn't find them in the City Paper. wow, I really am out of touch with this place.

kitty -

Modern is in Goergetown M St. 3287 M St. NW - you can check it out on the washingtonpost website - entertainment section bars/places(something like that) search and keyword "modern" I didn't read the review - but the place is a lowkey lounge type area. Rather dark - the bar is built into the floor - a little dressy, for some, for others it's rather casual.... Overall I really like the place - especially cause they have a pretty good selection of Scotch!!!

Any more questions? And Mills - I kinda like 1223 - no one else seems to. It's a different crowd and you can't dress all raver like and you actually have to wear something other than sneakers!!! Oh, no.... :rolleyes:

Ok back to work for a little while.

Oh - if you ever plan on going to Modern kitty - give me a pm and we'll meet up.

Originally posted by vicman

btw, i asked my other roomate to tell my other roomate to return the call, went to sleep at 9:30.

And I went to sleep about an hour and a half later and our other roomate wasn't home yet. So I gave him the message in the next morning. :)

I think they remodeled DC Live (aka The Spot) and it is now the VIP Club. From what I know it is really nice but I know nothing about the music, crowd, prices, etc. Does anyone else know more?

Originally posted by ryno

I think they remodeled DC Live (aka The Spot) and it is now the VIP Club. From what I know it is really nice but I know nothing about the music, crowd, prices, etc. Does anyone else know more?

nope. i went to the spot once like 3 years ago the first time i lived in the area. phocker was packed like sardines in a can, with horrible ventilation, never went back again.

Originally posted by ryno

nope. i went to the spot once like 3 years ago the first time i lived in the area. phocker was packed like sardines in a can, with horrible ventilation, never went back again.

Originally posted by vicman

Must you pad your posts still.......

I've heard the VIP club is nice as far as interior, etc.., but I think the atompshere(crowd) and music is very similar to Platinum, so basically it:blown:

Originally posted by pgiddy

I've heard the VIP club is nice as far as interior, etc.., but I think the atompshere(crowd) and music is very similar to Platinum, so basically it:blown:

more importantly, can i feel up girls there?

Originally posted by pgiddy

I heard the crowd is very international ... since I think they have a room that plays international music.