Clubplanet Nightlife Community

what is soul?

was having a drunken debate about music when my friend says, "techno is souless house music for the white boy." :laugh:

but anyways, it made me want to ask you all, what's your definition of "soul" (in music)? elaborate, but no longer than a paragraph. best answer gets a prize. ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by scratchapella

was having a drunken debate about music when my friend says, "techno is souless house music for the white boy." :laugh:

I certainly hope you punched that kid in his fucking throat.

well i have no idea what the definition of soul in music is, but in food, soul food is any type of food that you make out of the love for cooking or out of the love for the person your cooking for.

so i guess in music, its music that people make out of the love they have for the profession or the love they have for spinning, thats the soul in music for me.

think about this: how many of us LIKE our jobs?

how many of us LOVE our job?

I LIKE what I do, but I dont LOVE it, I could do something else and be perfectly fine doing it and if I lost my job today, its not like I will commit suicide or anything like that, I wuold look for another one and period.

So for example if someone likes to make music and spin, and then all of a sudden he couldnt do it, that person would look for something else to do and do it. For someone who loves to spin and make music, if one day he couldnt do that anymore, he wouldnt know what to do with him/herself. He cant envison life without doing making music.

Truly..i have no idea.

Soooo...do I get the prize? lick.gif

Originally posted by scratchapella

but anyways, it made me want to ask you all, what's your definition of "soul" (in music)? elaborate, but no longer than a paragraph. best answer gets a prize. ;)

This frekain cp sucks, but here I go again, and I'm soo busy today, but I want that prize, hmm I can only wonder.....

Ok I'm back, sorry I was day dreaming. Ok this could be hard since everybody should have a different opinion/definition of soul. Soul is one's innerself whatever makes them happy, so it is unique to you. But I would define it, in regards to music, as whatever moves you, makes you happy, gives you energy, spirit, etc....well thats kinda weak...but it's quick. Now cough up my prize and I want something tangible...:party::pint:

To me soul is anything that has meaning, something that represents life itself. Something that even when dead will carry on in spirit. A song maybe old, but if it has soul, it has staying power and will live forever and still be played by those who remember it.

Webster says "Soul is a strong, deeply felt emotion conveyed by a performer or artist"

All music has soul, emotion and heart, at least to the artist. If it didn't then the artist wouldn't feel a need to write, compose, direct, play, or produce it.

Originally posted by vicman

well i have no idea what the definition of soul in music is, but in food, soul food is any type of food that you make out of the love for cooking or out of the love for the person your cooking for.

For the record, soulfood is pretty much anything with "fatback" in it.

Oh - and I had something really deep and meaningful to say about soul and how it relates to the artistry of music in general and techno in specific. So in PM'd Runner about it and the jerk ripped off my idea and posted it almost verbatim.

So if you're giving prizes it should really go to me, not Runner.

Originally posted by nourishment

Oh - and I had something really deep and meaningful to say about soul and how it relates to the artistry of music in general and techno in specific. So in PM'd Runner about it and the jerk ripped off my idea and posted it almost verbatim.

Shut up! You got the idea from me. That prize should be mine:D

Where the hell did that total piece of nonsense come from?

zag is multitalented, didnt you know that? he displays moments of idiocy along with his permanent mental unawreness and relative slow wit and lunacy.

Originally posted by vicman

zag is multitalented, didnt you know that? he displays moments of idiocy along with his permanent mental unawreness and relative slow wit and lunacy.

HAHA! the name of the chocolate on his sig says ASS.

Funny thing is that I have no new PM's. I guess I was just reading your mind. I do that quite often, read peoples minds. See right now you are thinking.... Well you know what it is, and i don't want to embarass you right now. But yes it really is that big.

Funny thing is that I have no new PM's. I guess I was just reading your mind. I do that quite often, read peoples minds. See right now you are thinking.... Well you know what it is, and i don't want to embarass you right now. But yes it really is that big.

Originally posted by therunner

Funny thing is you repeat yourself over and over.......