Clubplanet Nightlife Community

what is soul?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by scratchapella

was having a drunken debate about music when my friend says, "techno is souless house music for the white boy." :laugh:

but anyways, it made me want to ask you all, what's your definition of "soul" (in music)? elaborate, but no longer than a paragraph. best answer gets a prize. ;)

Techno...soul? Those 2 words should not be in the same sentence...ever!!

while pondering that question, how's 'bout a little rap about it, circa 1989, thanks to the stereo mcs? it's interesting to note, however, that there's no question mark in their song title.

what is soul

hear the bells toll

there's a drum roll

i've arrived in stereo

do you like the style?

it's on the go

i kidnapped this beat from long ago

'cause my name was written on an ancient scroll

so i dug deeper and i made a hole

excavated the beat that made my payroll

'cause i filled the air with "what is soul"

now i'm on the mic and it's kill or cure

please don't crow

i'm no amateur

my name's rob b

and i came to stir

in the mix and put what i have learned

everything that i know

like a book that i wrote

with the crowd at my feet

in the place to go

so when i ask you i want to know

can you fill the air?

say, "what is soul?"

when i fall down

i get up

you wanna buy me?

well, you're outta luck

i'll run you down like a heavy truck

because i make my own breaks

and i don't suck

you won't be disappointed 'cause i been missin'

giving you the style with pure precision

open the plastic

make an incision

when we meet it's like nuclear fission

as the story was told

how we took the gold

you got hot

and we got cold

all our tickets that got sold

the crowd was proud of "what is soul"

you're overrun as we invade

you're overcome by the noise we made

i'm the audio attitude who's willing to trade

if you make a memory that won't fade

i'll only be happy when i see the sounds

of people in motion that's good for my mind

cause the head makes records stand the test of time

"are you ready, rob b?"

yeah, and this is my rhyme.

blow for blow, we're in control

fillin' the air with "what is soul"

say, "what is soul?"

...soul...

...what is soul?...

say, "what is soul?"

don't matter how you do it

louder is best and i think you knew it

drown in the sound

deep as the atlantic

swim in the best beat on this planet

sing along

you won't go wrong

you light the fuse

i'll be the bomb

london is the place where my beat goes on

but i was born in the north

that's where i begun

people try to dis me for the way my voice go

pass me around like i was a hot coal

now i'm on gee records because they know

how to fill the airwaves with "what is soul"

say, "what is soul?"

...soul...

...what is soul?...

...soul...

if you agree with me then let it show

cruise in your shoes to the bass-y tone

i'm a hardcore pa

let your feelings explode

you could hold my mind

and warm your soul

all the words i've been makin',

beats i've been shakin',

floors i've been quakin,

for years i've been fakin',

boy, this is a break in,

for now i'm entering the hours and limits where time goes slow

and the air is full of "what is soul"

say, "what is soul"?

...soul...

...what is soul?...

i like what weyes, pgiddy, vic, runner, and malanee have said so far. . . everyone's got a different definition. . .i think my friend had the definition stuck in his head that "soul" has to been some fat black woman vocals in a track. . .but then you'll have other people who'll fail to hear any "soul" in a 303. . .and then someone like my friend. . .anyways, i think all four of you (out of twenty-nine other irrelevant posts) hit it on the head. . .soul is inspiration that made the producer create the music, or the dj to choose it, or the listener to be moved by it, love it and dance to it. . . so hell yeh, i think techno can have soul as well. . .thinking about the production that went into richie hawtin's closer to edit. . .and i yelled this to my friend, about richie hawtin, then he shatdafuckup right then and there. :D ok not really. . .:tongue:

no prize though. i wanted a bigger discussion.

Originally posted by scratchapella

i like what weyes, pgiddy, vic, runner, and malanee have said so far. . . everyone's got a different definition. . .i think my friend had the definition stuck in his head that "soul" has to been some fat black woman vocals in a track. . .but then you'll have other people who'll fail to hear any "soul" in a 303. . .and then someone like my friend. . .anyways, i think all four of you (out of twenty-nine other irrelevant posts) hit it on the head. . .soul is inspiration that made the producer create the music, or the dj to choose it, or the listener to be moved by it, love it and dance to it. . . so hell yeh, i think techno can have soul as well. . .thinking about the production that went into richie hawtin's closer to edit. . .and i yelled this to my friend, about richie hawtin, then he shatdafuckup right then and there. :D ok not really. . .:tongue:

no prize though. i wanted a bigger discussion.

I read, the other day the inlay to MR C's Change CD. And if your friend doesn't believe that techno has soul, maybe you should buy the CD and let him read the inlay. It details every song and how what was going on in either his world, or the rest of the world that made him produce it the way that he did.

in that sense, dnb, garage, jungle, country, metal tex mex, reggae, hip hop, polish polka, gangsta rap etc. can also have soul if the person that composed the music, the one that plays it, and the one that listens to it all do so because they love to do it.

do i get the prize now?

Originally posted by vicman

in that sense, dnb, garage, jungle, country, metal tex mex, reggae, hip hop, polish polka, gangsta rap etc. can also have soul if the person that composed the music, the one that plays it, and the one that listens to it all do so because they love to do it.

do i get the prize now?

Shut up, she already said I won the prize, nice try though, thanks for playing:D

Originally posted by vicman

listen pgiddy, or read here pgiddy, the "prize" remains unclaimed, so it continues...khompraindey?

You read here, I don't even speak spanish and I know it's spelled comprende? Like I said I already got the prize and it's sitting right here on my desk, aww it's soo cute and furry!!

i'll attempt to answer, though words do no justice

SOUL is the passion, the body, the musical juice in a batter (that was so bad, i'm sorry)

i was going to say it's the musical orgasm, but that's not quite right. a track does have a climax point, but that's not the soul.

soul is the SUBSTANCE in music, what keeps you moving, it gets into the blood in your veins

hmm...still cant think of how to better express it...whaddya think, scratch?

miss ya btw:)

Maybe your friend was talking about the hollowness of the music - the cookie cutter stuff that is out there...because I will often hear a song and think how empty it sounds - just arranged notes, nothing to stir me..., sure it can make you dance, but it doesn't groove you...I think soul is the thing that makes you sit back and say 'awwwww yeah'...

Originally posted by MadamMillie

i'll attempt to answer, though words do no justice

SOUL is the passion, the body, the musical juice in a batter (that was so bad, i'm sorry)

i was going to say it's the musical orgasm, but that's not quite right. a track does have a climax point, but that's not the soul.

soul is the SUBSTANCE in music, what keeps you moving, it gets into the blood in your veins

hmm...still cant think of how to better express it...whaddya think, scratch?

miss ya btw:)

stupid.

herer is the definition of soul:

soul in music is when you can actually feel the music, kind of like the way you feel some really good techno or house when your rollin right.

but even when your sober, its the times when you hear a song and you can almost get or actually get goose bumps cuz you feel what the person is saying or feel the rhythm and mood of the song.- thats soul

where do i claim my prize

:roll::roll: ' alt='default_cwm29.gif' alt=':roll:'> '>