Clubplanet Nightlife Community

are you religious?

Originally posted by dragongrrrl

I'm going to do a little speculating: Before we knew how chemicals worked in the brain, or, indeed, that emotions, thoughts, etc, were controlled by brain chemicals at all, little plants and things such as mushrooms that made people hallucinate must have seemed like magic, or ways to see and experience god. and the "trips" people took on them were, in some way, i think, real; not, as we'd say today, brought on by how some chemical in the plant affected your brain chemistry. Does that make any sense?

true true, good point

meg makes a great debater:)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the western way of attributing such experiences to brain chemistry is just one seriously limited way of looking at it.

meg

i totally agree. especially as western society has this notion that the solution to everything is to take a drug.

Originally posted by vicman

alot of well known artists, authors, philosophers etc. also indulged substances of different types. van gogh drank absinthe and no one can deny he was a great painter.

lets face it, these are things that we dont realize when were growing up, but when we do stop and think about them for a while, we come to realize that we have been raised to believe in certain things, to think like everyone else, do like everyone else, and in a way lose our personal selves in the process. thinking differently we run the risk of being labeled as deviant, to to each person his/her own.

again, good point

what's that song? mmmm, lemme think...

male vocals...talking kinda fast...something like (omg, i'm going to butcher this HORRIBLY):

"and all those artists and playwrights and stuff...you think they were sober when they were creating that? "

shady you should know this too

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

Even if it means getting crushed. :(

i think that the true essence of the indidual come through on how he/she recovers from those time of difficulty, peril, stress and lack of marshmellow fluff.

alot of well known artists, authors, philosophers etc. also indulged substances of different types. van gogh drank absinthe and no one can deny he was a great painter.

Lots of great artist were also mentally ill (van gogh probably had a form of epilepsy, as well as his weakness for absinthe); many, many artists that have made a huge impact on the world had bipolar disorder, bringing up the question, are our modern medications that help so many people with these diseases function in the every day world, also going to rob us of great art, such as the paintings of van Gogh? But that's a whole new debate...

And vic, for what you say about regret: i think it is far worse to regret never having done something than to regret having done it and fucked up (i've heard that said much better, but oh well!). It's hard for most people to get over fear of trying new things and going out on a limb, though.

Who can tell i have *nothing* to do at work today?? :D

meg

And vic, for what you say about regret: i think it is far worse to regret never having done something than to regret having done it and fucked up (i've heard that said much better, but oh well!). It's hard for most people to get over fear of trying new things and going out on a limb, though.

thats true in every aspect in life, we dont know until we try.

relationships, work, school, cooking, home repairs, finding marshmellow fluff...

I'm not supposed to be here lurking - so I'll make this quick. :D

Drugs and chemicals are not the only thing that affect brain chemistry. Thought, mood, environment, exercise, sex and many other things also influence the way neurotransmitters are transmitted and how new pathways and connections are formed in our brain. We notice the influence of chemicals introduced into our system because the reaction time is quick - but I would hazard to say that the other "slow reaction" changes are more important in the long run - which is why it is imperative to be mindful of these things not just from a spiritual stand point, but from a biological standpoint as well. In our society we tend to separate the mind, body and spirit instead of seeing them as part of a larger whole.

Okay - crap - I gotta get some work done!

chunky or smooth? do you like grape jelly? :D

I like chunky and smooth- depends on my mood.

2 words: Strawberry preserves.:D

Does anyone else remember the song, "She don't use jelly"?

This conversation has taken a severe downhill turn...

meg

Originally posted by malanee

In our society we tend to separate the mind, body and spirit instead of seeing them as part of a larger whole.

Yeah, you're right. i get seriously annoyed when people boil everything down to brain chemistry, as if there's nothing more to life. :mad:

OOOH, i found it! it was deep dish, too, @ centrofly, last jun

by Louie Balo and Roxy - "Chocalate and Peanut Butter"

chocolatai

chocoLAtai

chocoLAtai

ai, chocolatai

come cream ??? ....

you had better get some milk to wash down that peeeeanut butter

it sometimes sticks to the roof of your mouth literally

peeeeaanut butter

peeeeaanut butter

you got your chocolate in my peeeeeeanut butter

and it feels like peeeeeanut brittle

it's the peanuttiest

and absolutely delicious

with fluff

fluff

it's the chocolatiest

it's wonderful

add some peeeanut butter

it's the creeeeaaammiest

the chunkiest

chocolate and peanut butter

chocolate and peanut butter

choosy moms choose

choosy moms choose

choosy moms choose jif

here comes annette ??? now

with some triple decker peanut butter saaaandwiches

ooohhhhhhh

maybe she's brought fluff

i just love LOVE peanut butter

fluff

fluff!!!

I like chunky and smooth- depends on my mood.

2 words: Strawberry preserves.:D

Does anyone else remember the song, "She don't use jelly"?

This conversation has taken a severe downhill turn...

meg

i really like the extra chunky ones, but since im sort of a health freak i stick to natural pb that isnst as chunky as the skippies or peter pans or what not.

Originally posted by MadamMillie

OOOH, i found it! it was deep dish, too, @ centrofly, last jun

by Louie Balo and Roxy - "Chocalate and Peanut Butter"

chocolatai

chocoLAtai

chocoLAtai

ai, chocolatai

come cream ??? ....

you had better get some milk to wash down that peeeeanut butter

it sometimes sticks to the roof of your mouth literally

isnt it in their GU cd?

i really like the extra chunky ones, but since im sort of a health freak i stick to natural pb that isnst as chunky as the skippies or peter pans or what not.

Oh, i like the natural kind, too! when i was little, the grocery store had a machine filled with peanuts- you 'd put money in and it would grind them up into peanut better for you- like a coffee grinder where you grind fresh beans in the store. yummm

I *refuse* to eat Skippy! way too sweet! yuck!

meg

Mills that song you where thinking of early in the post - about how drugs ahve done good thing for people, if you don't think so then take all your records and painting, etc and throw them out cause the artist that created that stuff that has enhanced your life were REAL fuckin high!!!!!

Nick Warren GU Amsterdam - I beleive it's disc 2 but I could be wrong..... Raver??? wanna help out??

Originally posted by sauvee88

Mills that song you where thinking of early in the post - about how drugs ahve done good thing for people, if you don't think so then take all your records and painting, etc and throw them out cause the artist that created that stuff that has enhanced your life were REAL fuckin high!!!!!

Nick Warren GU Amsterdam - I beleive it's disc 2 but I could be wrong..... Raver??? wanna help out??

ha, ha..your right! i love that track.

Oh, i like the natural kind, too! when i was little, the grocery store had a machine filled with peanuts- you 'd put money in and it would grind them up into peanut better for you- like a coffee grinder where you grind fresh beans in the store. yummm

I *refuse* to eat Skippy! way too sweet! yuck!

meg

they have machines like that in some fresh feilds in the area. i've ssen them but felt to intimidated to grind my own peanuts. i just wished the natural chunky peanut butter was chunkier, like cereal i just love the clusters.