Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Steve Porter @ Discotheque Tonite

Anyone checking out Steve Porter @ Discotheque tonite? It should be damn fun. I only saw him with Fortier @ the Plant Bar awhile ago and that wasn't a proper set. My friends in DC said he rocked Buzz when he was down there and the Abercrombie and Fitch model really hasn't had two many big nights in NYC. Plus, maybe he'll play "Two Days on Lansdowne", one of my faves...

Also, it's cheap and in a good venue with a great sound system. What more can you ask for?

http://www.discothequenyc.com/upcoming.html

You guys missed out. Porter fucked the place up. Here's my review...

===

Steve Porter @ Discotheque [June 13] [New York, NY]

I arrived to Discotheque around midnight and Steve Porter had just gotten on the decks but the place was already jumping. Everyone seemed to be in a really good mood for one reason or another and I got that feeling that it might be a great night out. One of the things I first noticed was that the lights were way more toned down this Thursday and were definitely less intrusive. The past few Thursdays the lighting guy had gotten a little too hectic a little too early and folks were just not ready for it. So, it was good to see he was taking more of an incremental approach. Of course, as usual, the sound system in Discotheque was absolutely perfect. I really do feel that Discotheque has one of the better sound systems in the city so it's a blessing the Hidden parties have discovered this gem of a nightclub.

As for the Bostonian's set, he was absolutely banging. Mr. Porter wasted little time with a proper introduction and set the tone early for the rest of the night by quickly moving into some really driving progressive house. Just about every track had a fair amount of full-on energy behind it and when he went a bit harder he didn't follow the peak with a plethora of downtempo tracks. Rather, he played a breakier track and then a transition track to pick up the pace. Soon, he found himself back at full force with the crowd jeering him on. I don't think I saw a single person in the entire place that wasn't moving their ass and when he laid down Head Affect's "Afro Chrome", the place was electric. This peak time monster, by far, was my favorite of the night and I assumed he would have to transition into something a bit slower but to my surprise he took the beats to another level and introduced some serious tech-house. Everyone in the place was loving it! I quickly assumed that the music wouldn't go any harder than "Afro Chrome" as it's got plenty of pace but when it did, I simply couldn't hold back a smile. Steve Porter had broken the barrier of expectations and Discotheque was chaotic.

Steve Porter's initial set lasted another 20 or 30 minutes and then Groovecreator got back on the decks. It was then that I decided to call it a night and say goodbye to my friends but before I exited Mr. Porter was back on the decks going at it once again. Hopefully he'll bring exactly what he brought to Discotheque when he spins with Anthony Pappa on July 13 at Centro-Fly.