Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Saleen, why do you bash Trance if you like Scot Project

CHRles

Okay, I've been reading this board for a little while now, and it seems some you have no idea what you're talking about half the time.

I love both House and Trance, and if some of you like one or the other that's cool, but the way some of you people try to bash one style over the other is just ridiculous.

Basically what Treepwood said about Trance and some of the people on this board is true - many of you love Trance even though you bash it.

Saleen, let me guess, you've never even seen George Acosta spin even though he's been booked in NYC plenty of times, and spins in SoBe almost every week at Level.

You say you like Scot Project? Good! He's one of my favorite DJs and producers. But guess what - just about every track Scot Project spins in his sets, George Acosta is playing too. It's called (pay attention here, other people have already tried to clue you in) German Trance, and in this case Hard German Trance.

Scot Project is NOT Hardhouse. Sure many DJs play him in Hard Dance sets, but if you want to hear Hard House check out Lisa Lashes, Tom Harding, Lisa Pin Up, Fergie, Paul Glazby, Psycho Bitch, etc., or just go up to the part of Level that Purple Indigo has been telling you about.

Scot Project, who spins and produces Hard TRANCE, also produces as Arome. I'm sure many of you have already heard "Hands Up" by Arome, or Yoji Biomehanika "Global Bangin (Scot Project Remix)". Guess who's playing the Scot Project tunes in Miami? That's right George Acosta. He also produces a lot of Hard Trance records, and networks with a lot of well known DJs/producers from Germany, which may explain why he spins German Trance in the first place.

It's very easy for you to bash one of the biggest DJs from Miami, especially since he doesn't post on this board. I see some of you are into Breaks, well Acosta's already proved himself as an excellent Breakbeat producer in the mid 90s before many of you kiddies knew how to spin and produce properly. He's proved himself as a success in Breaks, and in Trance. He's found his niche in SoBe currently as a top notch Trance producer/DJ.

Another thing Saleen, you boast about how much you like Mauro Picotto. Guess what? Acosta's always been supportive of Picotto's music, whether as CRW, or Picottos tunes from the last couple of years (Komodo, Proximus, Lizard), and yes his recent stuff too. He also plays music by Tiesto, which if I'm not mistaken you happen to like.

Mauro Picotto's style these days is Tech Trance. It is NOT Tech House. If you want good Tech House check out Satoshi Tomie. I'm guessing if Satoshie was a resident in Miami you would have bashed him when you moved here, just like you bashed all the DJs in Miami.

Yes DJs like Oscar G. are excellent. Oscar G., David Waxman, Stingray, and many others are great House DJs on a global level, and just know Electronic music in general very well.

Back to Trance. If you want to hear a lot of underground Trance tracks you've never heard before just show up early to Level and check out Ariel Baund.

Now for the more melodic Trance:

Some of you seem to bash it even though you say you love Ferry Corsten, Paul Van Dyk, or Johan Gielen. WTF??!! Just what exactly do they produce and spin if not Trance? Yeah, Paul Van Dyk or Armin Van Buuren also play good Progressive House, but they're known as Trance DJs. Edgar V. plays a lot of the records you'd hear by many of the Dutch Trance, UK Trance, and German DJs. Acosta focuses mainly on the German Trance scene, and both do it very well.

I think as the scene in South Beach is getting bigger it's also getting more spoiled, just like in many European cities. People don't appreciate the quality of many styles and producers, or recognize it one minute and diss it the next.

House is huge this year in South Beach. what, like it wasn't good last year?! lol Oscar G. has been around a long time, and I'm glad a lot of you finally opened your ears to the style of House music he spins.

I'm glad to see Tribal and Deep House finally getting their proper respects in Miami, and the same goes for Progressive House (another term that seems to mean so many styles to different people).

The way I see it, a lot of clubs this year are trying too hard to mimick Crobar's success. Crobar's Progressive House nights rock, but so many other clubs think they can do it too. Wrong! Find your own niche.

As for Space not doing as well as it used to, it has a lot to do with the fact that some people get tired of going to the same club, or hearing the same DJs week after week regardless of the quality.

South Beach is always about people wanting a new club, a new sound, to bring back a sound that was once played but is now missing, etc. On the one hand that's good - it means every year or 2 people start opening up again. On the other hand it leads many clubbers to start talking crap about which is what, and which is better, and to distort the truth.

Just enjoy the fact that so much global talent comes to Miami in the first place. And no, not all of them are going to be able to pack Space this year, or some other club. It's all about bringing the right talent to the right venue and promoting it properly (on that part you are right Saleen).

I remember another ignorant person used to post on this board. I think her name was Noira or something. LMAO she actually told Oscar G. he doesn't spin House and that Deep Dish aren't House. What a clueless person. There are many subgenres of House. This is probably some girl that a few years ago thought Alice deejay was an actual dj (well DJ Jurgen actually is, but I doubt she'd know that much in the first place). This girl cracked me up. She thought she knew more about music than the big DJs themselves and thought she knew what underground means. She also said Trance has been dead in the UK for like 3-4 years now. So that would make 1998 as the year Trance died there. Funny, commercial and underground Trance seem to be played in a lot of the big clubs in the UK in 2002, and I think there's still a "few" well known UK Trance DJs. This girl would like to believe in her make believe world that Trance is dead and only a few select producers are about "true" House music. Whatever...

BTW, there's a lot of crappy House and Trance being produced every day, even as we speak. The trick is to play the good stuff, or to make a good set out of records that don't sound so good on their own. The Miami DJs know what's up, and that's part of the reason why clubbers from all over the world love to come to South Beach, and why a lot of the global DJs enjoy this city as well.

To all of you Miami DJs/producers out there - good job! Keep doing what you're doing. If you feel like sticking to the same sound and you're happy with it that's great, if you feel like reinveinting yourselves and are happy with your new sound that's great too. Don't let some of these people who don't know the history of electronic music and the history of Miami get in your way.

Anyways, as someone that loves the South Beach scene, and sees it as one of the best in the country, I just felt like posting my opinion on a number of matters. I'm from Tampa so I guess I can appreciate South Beach a lot more than many of you can.

Feel free to check out one of the Tampa message boards I post on:

http://cork.wild987.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=TechnoBoard&number=8

Guest saleen351

i'm too wasted to read that whole thing... but i'll post my reply some time this week end...

big how u doing to xtreame and pod and jcbliss.. for tonight... it was gret...

"Okay, there's a bit of a debate going on over on a few boards today as to what Trance music is.Trance is a broad term, just like House music. Hell, in a lot of places what's considered House music is considered Trance in another place.

Take The Blue Room in Orlando on Friday nights with DJ Knightlife as an example. After midnight the music is said to be Progressive House, but it's Trance anthems mainly from the Trance scenes of Holland and the UK, and some of the Trance anthems you'd hear in a Paul Van Dyk set.

Even Tabu on that night, when KJ isn't spinning Breaks he's said to be spinning European House, though again it's Trance by the likes of ATB and the Warp Brothers.

ATB = German Trance. So is Scot Project, who spins the harder German Trance.

Kimball Collins for the most part when I last went to see him spun Trance by the likes of Ferry Corsten and Minimalistix, as well as a bit of House like "Hypnotized" by Oscar G. and Stryke.

Progressive House? Well Orlando's own Jimmy Van M and Chris Fortier definitely spin it, the deeper and darker style. Their sound is the Global Underground style of Progressive House, associated with the Nu Breed sound, and heard in sets by Sasha and John Digweed.

Someone mentioned Psychedelic and Goa Trance, which was already being produced in the late 80s. I think 2 of the best Psychedelic acts are/were Hallucinogen and Infected Mushroom.

There's also a debate of what is Techno? Pure Techno is the Detroit style Techno, but then you've got people that label any form of electronic music, including ATB and Sasha, as Techno music.

In addition, these days we have the Tech Trance DJs like Marco V. and Mauro Picotto, and DJs that spin a lot of Tribal House. Danny Tenaglia definitely plays a lot of it.

Usually when someone is looking for a Trance night, they're looking for something DJs like Ferry Corsten, Armin Van Buuren, Kai Tracid, Paul Van Dyk, Judge Jules, Micro, Talla 2XLC and the likes play".

I read this post from your board ChRls and had to put on this thread. Another great post.

There is no point slagging off someones fave style of music,cos they aint gonna stop liking it just cos someone tells them it's shit.I find it immpossible to pigeonhole styes of music cos most good sets include aspects of a lot of different styles.A lot of people slag some types of music off when they have never even heard any of it.I've got a pretty good idea of what i do and don't like but if i have'nt heard anything of a particular genre i will always go to a club to hear it and then make my judgement,but even if i don't like it i would never come on here saying it was shit.

One thing i will say is I LOVE TRANCE

Originally posted by CHRles

Okay, I've been reading this board for a little while now, and it seems some you have no idea what you're talking about half the time.

I love both House and Trance, and if some of you like one or the other that's cool, but the way some of you people try to bash one style over the other is just ridiculous.

Basically what Treepwood said about Trance and some of the people on this board is true - many of you love Trance even though you bash it.

Saleen, let me guess, you've never even seen George Acosta spin even though he's been booked in NYC plenty of times, and spins in SoBe almost every week at Level.

You say you like Scot Project? Good! He's one of my favorite DJs and producers. But guess what - just about every track Scot Project spins in his sets, George Acosta is playing too. It's called (pay attention here, other people have already tried to clue you in) German Trance, and in this case Hard German Trance.

Scot Project is NOT Hardhouse. Sure many DJs play him in Hard Dance sets, but if you want to hear Hard House check out Lisa Lashes, Tom Harding, Lisa Pin Up, Fergie, Paul Glazby, Psycho Bitch, etc., or just go up to the part of Level that Purple Indigo has been telling you about.

Scot Project, who spins and produces Hard TRANCE, also produces as Arome. I'm sure many of you have already heard "Hands Up" by Arome, or Yoji Biomehanika "Global Bangin (Scot Project Remix)". Guess who's playing the Scot Project tunes in Miami? That's right George Acosta. He also produces a lot of Hard Trance records, and networks with a lot of well known DJs/producers from Germany, which may explain why he spins German Trance in the first place.

It's very easy for you to bash one of the biggest DJs from Miami, especially since he doesn't post on this board. I see some of you are into Breaks, well Acosta's already proved himself as an excellent Breakbeat producer in the mid 90s before many of you kiddies knew how to spin and produce properly. He's proved himself as a success in Breaks, and in Trance. He's found his niche in SoBe currently as a top notch Trance producer/DJ.

Another thing Saleen, you boast about how much you like Mauro Picotto. Guess what? Acosta's always been supportive of Picotto's music, whether as CRW, or Picottos tunes from the last couple of years (Komodo, Proximus, Lizard), and yes his recent stuff too. He also plays music by Tiesto, which if I'm not mistaken you happen to like.

Mauro Picotto's style these days is Tech Trance. It is NOT Tech House. If you want good Tech House check out Satoshi Tomie. I'm guessing if Satoshie was a resident in Miami you would have bashed him when you moved here, just like you bashed all the DJs in Miami.

Yes DJs like Oscar G. are excellent. Oscar G., David Waxman, Stingray, and many others are great House DJs on a global level, and just know Electronic music in general very well.

Back to Trance. If you want to hear a lot of underground Trance tracks you've never heard before just show up early to Level and check out Ariel Baund.

Now for the more melodic Trance:

Some of you seem to bash it even though you say you love Ferry Corsten, Paul Van Dyk, or Johan Gielen. WTF??!! Just what exactly do they produce and spin if not Trance? Yeah, Paul Van Dyk or Armin Van Buuren also play good Progressive House, but they're known as Trance DJs. Edgar V. plays a lot of the records you'd hear by many of the Dutch Trance, UK Trance, and German DJs. Acosta focuses mainly on the German Trance scene, and both do it very well.

I think as the scene in South Beach is getting bigger it's also getting more spoiled, just like in many European cities. People don't appreciate the quality of many styles and producers, or recognize it one minute and diss it the next.

House is huge this year in South Beach. what, like it wasn't good last year?! lol Oscar G. has been around a long time, and I'm glad a lot of you finally opened your ears to the style of House music he spins.

I'm glad to see Tribal and Deep House finally getting their proper respects in Miami, and the same goes for Progressive House (another term that seems to mean so many styles to different people).

The way I see it, a lot of clubs this year are trying too hard to mimick Crobar's success. Crobar's Progressive House nights rock, but so many other clubs think they can do it too. Wrong! Find your own niche.

As for Space not doing as well as it used to, it has a lot to do with the fact that some people get tired of going to the same club, or hearing the same DJs week after week regardless of the quality.

South Beach is always about people wanting a new club, a new sound, to bring back a sound that was once played but is now missing, etc. On the one hand that's good - it means every year or 2 people start opening up again. On the other hand it leads many clubbers to start talking crap about which is what, and which is better, and to distort the truth.

Just enjoy the fact that so much global talent comes to Miami in the first place. And no, not all of them are going to be able to pack Space this year, or some other club. It's all about bringing the right talent to the right venue and promoting it properly (on that part you are right Saleen).

I remember another ignorant person used to post on this board. I think her name was Noira or something. LMAO she actually told Oscar G. he doesn't spin House and that Deep Dish aren't House. What a clueless person. There are many subgenres of House. This is probably some girl that a few years ago thought Alice deejay was an actual dj (well DJ Jurgen actually is, but I doubt she'd know that much in the first place). This girl cracked me up. She thought she knew more about music than the big DJs themselves and thought she knew what underground means. She also said Trance has been dead in the UK for like 3-4 years now. So that would make 1998 as the year Trance died there. Funny, commercial and underground Trance seem to be played in a lot of the big clubs in the UK in 2002, and I think there's still a "few" well known UK Trance DJs. This girl would like to believe in her make believe world that Trance is dead and only a few select producers are about "true" House music. Whatever...

BTW, there's a lot of crappy House and Trance being produced every day, even as we speak. The trick is to play the good stuff, or to make a good set out of records that don't sound so good on their own. The Miami DJs know what's up, and that's part of the reason why clubbers from all over the world love to come to South Beach, and why a lot of the global DJs enjoy this city as well.

To all of you Miami DJs/producers out there - good job! Keep doing what you're doing. If you feel like sticking to the same sound and you're happy with it that's great, if you feel like reinveinting yourselves and are happy with your new sound that's great too. Don't let some of these people who don't know the history of electronic music and the history of Miami get in your way.

Anyways, as someone that loves the South Beach scene, and sees it as one of the best in the country, I just felt like posting my opinion on a number of matters. I'm from Tampa so I guess I can appreciate South Beach a lot more than many of you can.

Feel free to check out one of the Tampa message boards I post on:

http://cork.wild987.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=TechnoBoard&number=8

:)

Great post.

Thanks guys. I've noticed that many of you on here post some very intelligent topics and posts on here (some of them are also truly funny but true, they crack me up), regardless of your musical preference.

Compared to a lot of other message boards, the Miami board is one of the most interesting b/c of the people who post on it.

Some of you might be interested in another post of mine from last week on another board that makes fun of a lot of the new DJs who are just wannabe DJs. You know who i'm talking about - kids who have only been spinnin a few weeks, or a few months, and think they are DJs. Well I got tired of some of them coming to a board I post and claiming to be DJs...when all they wanted to know is who sings "that song from the car commercial". What like the record stores don't know who Dirty Vegas are? That song originally came out like a year and a half ago. What kind of a DJ are you if you don't know the basics? If you're a DJ I expect you to know a basic question like who sings "Days Go By", and a lot of not so basic questions. It also shows that some of these DJ kids first try to become DJs before they really have a passion for music.

Anyways here's the link to my "Let's All Be DJs" post:

http://cork.wild987.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/002046.html

Guest saleen351

Ok first off you post like I bashed George Acosta? SHOW ME WHERE I BASHED HIM... I'VE NEVER HEARD THE GUY NOR DO I WANT TO.. ANY TRANCE IS TOO MUCH TRANCE AND T0 SAY SCOTT PROJECT IS TRANCE IS NUTS,,, HIS MOST POPULAR WORK IS THAT HARD HOUSE WITH BUILD UPS THAT HE PRODUCES. A WHILE AGO AT EXIT HE PLAYED EVERY ONE OF HIS TRACKS, TRUST ME EXIT WOULD NOT LIKE TRANCE DJS.... TRANCE IS DEAD AND ALWAYS WILL BE DEAD! TRANCE IS FOR THOSE CRACK HEADS WHO DANCE IN CIRCLES AND WHERE JEANS AND SNEAKERS OUT TO A CLUB.... NO ENERGY IN NJ AND FOR THE MOST PART OF NYC MEANS YOUR OUT OF A JOB!!!!!!!! NOW SOBE MIGHT BE DIFFERENT BUT COME ON HOW MANY OF US NYERS OR NJIANS DO YOU KNOW WHO ADAPT TO ANOTHER CITIES STYLE OR PREFRENCES? ITS TIME TO BRING IN SOME NYC AND NJ DJS DOWN HERE... THE REASON IS, IT WOULD MAKE TONS OF MONEY..... I DON'T GIVE A FUCK HOW GOOD ANY TRANCE DJ IS... I HATE TRANCE... ITS BORING AS HELL... EVERY ONE IS AN EXPERT NOW A DAY, AM I? SOMETIMES... SOBE CAN'T HOLD A CANDLE TO NYC OR NJ, BUT WHAT IT LACKS IN MUSIC AND STYLE IT MAKE UP FOR IN OTHER AREAS, I LOVE IT HERE AND I DONT' WANT TO GO BACK, THOUGH I DIDN'T MOVE HERE FOR THE CLUBS, I'M 25 AND I'D SAY ONLY 1 MORE YEAR OF PARTYING... YOU CAN COMPARE MUSIC STYLES ALL DAY LONG AND ARGUE OVER WHAT "TYPE" THEY PLAY... I ONLY LISTEN TO THE TYPE THAT MAKES ME PUMP MY FIST AND DANCE ALL OVER THE JOINT... AND NO TRANCE DJ HAS EVER MADE ME DO IT... COULD YOU IMAGINE TRANCE AT TEMPS? PLACE WOULD BE OUT OF BUSINESS IN 2 MINS... I HATE THIS HOUSEY SOUND EVERY DJ HAS, AND APPARENTLY TONS OF OTHER PEOPLE IN NJ FEEL THE SAME WAY..,,, SO TECH IS WHERE I'M AT RIGHT NOW...

Saleen, on some matters you're right and on other matters you are ridiculously wrong.

Look at the top of this screen right now where it says Paul Van Dyk at Exit. Exit is known as one of The best places in NYC to hear Trance. All the big Trance DJs play there and if you don't believe me ask other people on this board, they will confirm that for you. Some will tell you the crowd there sucks, others will tell you it's their favorite club.

You like Tech? That's awesome, but it also means you're the type of person that jumps on bandwagons. Are you still going to like Tech in 6 months? You might hate it even if high quality Tech will still be produced.

Okay, so Trance doesn't work at Temps. Does that mean it won't work in every NJ club? you'd be surprised how big Trance is in New York, again both Commercial Trance and underground Trance. It's prolly bigger up there than it is in Miami. It's all about bringing the right sound to the right crowd at the right venue. Wouldn't you agree with that statement?

As for New York and New Jersey DJs,I think there are a lot of amazing DJs over there, as well as in a lot of American cities, but you've got to give them time to grow and keep building their reputations. Some of the NYC djs might have a huge fanbase back in your hometown, but barely anyone knows them here, and will therefore not be able to attract a large enough crowd at a place like Space. You need to first bring some of them to a smaller venue, and introduce them to the crowd. You can also book some of them to Space, so long as you're also booking a more well-known and established DJ that the Space crowd knows, and who will headline the event. But why limit yourself just to NY? What about the entire Northeast? The entire country, or the entire world? You yourself fell in love with Picotto's set, and he's from Italy.

I'm glad you like Miami, yes the city has a lot to offer. Also, just b/c you're 25 doesn't mean that when you're 26 you can't go and "guido fist pump", although it's true that every 3-4 years a new generation of clubgoers comes to the scene.

Saleen, I think you're just tired of hearing a certain type of Trance or House sound, which I totally understand. But honestly, do you want every single person in Miami to have the same exact taste in music as you do? Do you want EVERY club in Miami to play Tech? or do you want EVERY club in Miami to have NY/NJ djs as residents?

Let the scene in Miami grow. You can't expect Miami to be New York ,especially since NYC is the biggest city in the country, and also has a longer history as being a global player in the club scene.

when u guys mention the word tech. are u refering to tech house?

picotto does not play tech house, jp does not play tech house. paul van dyk does not play tech house and neither does cox. they might incorporate a few tech house tracks in their sets, but by no means are these cats considered tech house djs.

a few examples of tech house is terry francis, mr c, eddie richards, nathan coles, dave mothersole, terry lee brown jr, timewriter, and jay tripwire.

Saleen, research the DJ's CHRls and Nolimit have mentioned.

Lisa Lashes, Tom Harding, Lisa Pin Up, Fergie, Paul Glazby, Psycho Bitch

How many of these hard house DJ's have you actually heard?

terry francis, mr c, eddie richards, nathan coles, dave mothersole, terry lee brown jr, timewriter, and jay tripwire

How many of these tech house DJ's have you actually heard?

• 2 years later...

breaking News

saleen, The Fat Ugly Bald Headed Piece Of Jersey Trash That Is The Most Hated Underneath Hilter In The Country, Died Today, Reasons Being, He Has Listen Too Much Of The Crappy House And He Has Overcome Too Much Stress On An Every Day Basis When Anyone That Knows Him Would Throw Rocks, Street Lightpoles, Etc, We Wish The Fat Fuck A Good Ride Down To Hell Where He Should Of Gone In The First Place When He Left That Shithole State Of His, Now All We Have To Do ,is Clean Up South Florida From Teh Mess He Made And Clear Out The Rest Of The Jersey Scum

I never met saleen nor would I want to.... from what I've heard and what I've read about this clown is all trash. Why doesn't this guy go buy some turntables and a mixer and show us what's up? If he knows everything that he claims does about music he should be the #1 Dj in the World...

There is nothing more that I hate than a non-DJ trying to be a critic on another DJ's skills. Every DJ has their own style. Some people like House, Breaks or Trance Who fucking cares! If you only like one and not the other, shut the fuck up and only listen to what you like..don't try to bash someone elses' style or preference for music cause it doesn't make you acheive anything.At the end of the day YOU hate they don't!

• 1 year later...