Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Prog Is Dead

Nolimit

taken from the GU board (of all places)...quoted from July issue of Muzik Magazine

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prog is dead. There we've said it. Currently languishing in the least hip section of your neighbourhood record store, progressive house is the latest byword for boring.

Chugging beats, anguished ethereal vocals and endless stream of identikit releases are only the beginning of the end for this long-beleaguered genre. No artist in their right mind wants to be labelled prog anymore, least of all the DJ's who are actively distancing themselves from the big, and prog tag. Danny Howells, Red Jerry and James Zabiela are just three of the DJs who have stopped playing prog in 2002. "We just play house," they reckon, "and breaks".

Breaks is the new fancy of the previously progressive DJ. As the prog tag becomes tired, DJ's try to stay ahead of the game, and right now that means making - and playing - breaks. Sasha's saying it, and Digweed is playing it on his new compilation. If the beats are boring then the DJ is too - and that's the last thing these hipsters want.

Compared to prog, breaks are exciting, experimental and unpredictable.

"All progressive DJ's switched to playing a mixture of sounds," explains Muzik's own James Zabiela. "There are only a few people - like Anthony Pappa - playing prog now!"

Indeed, even staunch prog-defenders Choo Choo Records are planning to launch a new breakbeat offshoot called Akademia.

"There are only so many synth lines you can listen to again and again" shrugs James. "About 30% of my music is breaks now. I love the warped bassline of people like Meat Katie and Whole 9 Yards."

So there we have it - progressive is dead. Long live the breaks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

let the games begin!

Guest saleen351

i knew it was dead last year.... but I say it comes back stronger, simply because the entire northeast was raised on progressive... The article is right when it sez there is only so many synths you can listen too, but like all things the cycle will return to progressive, just like 80's cloths are in style now.. plus everyone I know at the jersey shore hates the music tracks right now... I say either progressive or tech is the new sound or a combination like sobeton said..

A fusion of prog and breaks is nothing new. Even locally both Sean Bauzay and DJ FX have done a lot of mixing of the genres to great effect.

Everyone has an urge to be the first to label a style as dead, as it comes off as being ahead of the pack. In reality it's rare for a style to die, it justs evolves into something new - dance music rarely stands still :)

Nick .junkie.

Originally posted by cooljunkie

A fusion of prog and breaks is nothing new. Even locally both Sean Bauzay and DJ FX have done a lot of mixing of the genres to great effect.

Everyone has an urge to be the first to label a style as dead, as it comes off as being ahead of the pack. In reality it's rare for a style to die, it justs evolves into something new - dance music rarely stands still :)

Nick .junkie.

Look at disco, people are still releasing disco-e tracks with a new deep dubby sound to it, but I do think that the sound labeled as "progressive house" has gone as far as it's going to go. Producers should either innovate proggy house or fuse it with another genre.

It cracks me up b/c most djs aren't even changing how they play, they'll be out every night spinnin the same damn records. However, the term "progressive" has become unfashionable so everyone is dumping the old label and adopting the new trendy name: tech-house.

Most really good djs spin so many different styles anyways that genre labes are useless. Who cares. All I know is that I like my dance music w/ a catchy beat and a whole lot of Ooomph. What's that called again? :D

I have always thought that there is good in bad in any genre...

It is our job as DJ's to find the gems in the haystacks. I enjoy the challenge of moving through multiple genres and have been doing so since I began spinning 7 years ago. For me, it's a challenge. For the audience, I hope it brings continuous interest in my sets.

Progressive I don't think will die anytime soon, for the nature of the genre is to move forward, to progress into uncharted territories. It may re-invent itself, as it has done for years now, but with the top DJ's at the helm, it ain't goin' nowhere any time soon!

Peace,

FX

While I'm the last person to champion for progressive, I have to say that I've been hearing some tracks/comps out there that, while not "prog" defintley have the prog heart and soul - but they're layering in breaks, funk, electro, aggressive richie hawtin techno, angst-rock...another words, after all the poor copies of copies of copies of S&D@twilo, there's some innovation out there, putting some life back into the genre.

I don't think that any dj should be any one genre - they should be comfortable with a range of genre's, I mean, that's what prog is really about - a progression of tracks to create an emotion and a new sound...usually by integrating many genre's. hopefully "we've" all learned out lesson and will remember that you need variety to keep things interesting.