Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Interesting article

vicman

read it on xpander.nl

the site has some pics on it.

Twilo: The Aftermath

"by Danielle Sessa"

New York -- All is quiet on West 27th Street. The doors are locked, the speakers are gone and the discoball has been dismantled. There is little evidence that this desolate block in the warehouse section of Manhattan used to house one of best dance clubs in the world.

It’s been over a year since Twilo closed, leaving its patrons in a state of disbelief. The club’s six-year reign had helped to transform the dance music scene. Twilo imported the epic trance of Sasha & John Digweed to the United States and the club’s cavernous atmosphere and infamous Phazon sound system influenced the driving dark sounds of progressive house.

Thousands passed through its doors on Friday and Saturday nights to hear a wide array of first-class DJs including Sasha, Digweed, Carl Cox, Richie Hawtin and Junior Vasquez.

It took some time, but the New York club scene has bounced back. Twilo’s demise helped to revitalize the city’s underground sound. Frustrated clubbers eager to hear quality dance music started their own parties at lounges and many discovered different genres and styles they might have never heard had the club still been around.

``For a long time New York was all about Sasha & Digweed nights, or Paul Van Dyk nights,’’ said Amy Walter, who first went to Twilo in 1996 . ``One thing that ended up being good about Twilo closing was that people started seeking out DJs and parties they never thought about experiencing before.’’

Walter was one of many clubbers who became promoters after Twilo shut down last May. The 29-year old Brooklyn resident started a `Twilo Support Party’ to give regulars a place to gather on Friday nights to hear Progressive and House music until the venue reopened. When the club’s closure proved to be permanent, the party changed to `Program’ and each week showcases local DJs.

There is practically a different kind of party every night of the week to dance to Techno, Drum & Bass, House and Progressive.

The angry Techno mob flocks to `Tronic Treatment’ on Mondays where Adam F, Mistress Barbara and even Richie Hawtin have manned the decks. The latest NuBreed artist Satoshi Tomiie teams up with fellow SAW Recordings producer Hector Romero for their monthly appearance at `Blister’ on Tuesdays.

Thursday proves to be one of the busiest nights of the week. The bi-weekly `Plexi’ party (hosted by Xpander’s very own Betty Kang) consistently featured established and up-and-coming Progressive talent including Trendroid, John Creamer and Chris Fortier. `Sound Logic’, which Walter also promotes, has brought in Sean Cusick, DJ Three and Cass to play its monthly gig.

``A lot of the weekday parties started because people were trying to fill a void,’’ said Rahsaan Nurullah, 23 years old, who started his own Tuesday party last June. ``You would have an experience so wicked at Twilo it would saturate your appetite for the week. When you didn’t have anything that massive or that intense, you realize that you have to fill that void. People start itching to go out again.’’

Partying during the week at a cozy lounge is nothing like rocking it out on the weekends. While no other club has emerged to rival Twilo, many big-name international DJs still roll through town.

Centro-Fly cornered the market on house music with DJ Dan, Doc Martin and Derrick Carter. Centro also booked Twilo regulars Deep Dish and Timo Maas, attracting the club’s old crowd.

Junior Vasquez, Twilo’s Saturday night and morning resident, landed the same slot at Exit. Club Speed morphed into Shelter, bought Twilo’s famed Phazon speakers and lured Eric Morillo’s Subliminal Sessions for its Thursday nights. Twilo’s most popular acts Sasha and Digweed and Paul Van Dyk have also returned to New York, albeit only to play one-off shows.

Perhaps some of the biggest changes are going on at Vinyl. The home of legendary DJ Danny Tenaglia’s weekly `Be Yourself’ bash on Fridays began hosting `Made’ events last fall that has featured many former Twilo residents. Dave Seaman, Sander Kleinenberg , Jimmy Van M and Sven Vath are some of the Twilo veterans that are regulars at Made parties. A coincidence? Not really. Twilo’s former manager Mike Bindra runs the party.

Much of the buzz about Vinyl Saturdays surrounds Danny Howells. Made’s only official resident has created a name for himself by playing marathon 10-hour sets the last Saturday of each month.

Danny Howells was supposed to team up with Danny Tenaglia for a special event at Twilo last year, but the club shut down before they could go back to back. The showdown will finally take place later when Vinyl reopens as `ARC’ with a newly installed Phazon sound system.

Even though the Twilo DJs have returned to New York, many contend clubs have a long way to go. Twilo created an unparalleled vibe, attracting people from all over the world simply to hear quality dance music. The club’s lineups were stacked with DJs that could easily each headline nights at other venues all by themselves. Every night at Twilo was an event. New York clubs are just another night out.

``Twilo hit it dead on with the crowd, music, lights and the vibe,’’ said Kim Friedman, 25 years old. ``That’s something no other place can really match.’’

"Twilo hit it dead on with the crowd, music, lights and the vibe said Kim Friedman, 25 years old. ``Thats something no other place can really match."

Twilo had the best lighting i've ever seen. And the lasers...sigh....they were REALLY nice. But that siren I could do without. The first time I went was presidents day weekend for the Danny Tenaglia Vs Carl Cox night (the record breaking attendance night). What a night that was. got there 12pm sunday night and stayed there till 11am monday. it was nuts. I was totally sober that night too. Not even alcohol. It was rough but def worth it.

Originally posted by spinsaikel

"Twilo had the best lighting i've ever seen. And the lasers...sigh....they were REALLY nice. But that siren I could do without. The first time I went was presidents day weekend for the Danny Tenaglia Vs Carl Cox night (the record breaking attendance night). What a night that was. got there 12pm sunday night and stayed there till 11am monday. it was nuts. I was totally sober that night too. Not even alcohol. It was rough but def worth it.

ok i didnt have time to read the article really

but twilo was the most amazing place

and soph, i was at that night too!! u lightweight, we regularly did the 10, 11am nights...sober too:D