Clubplanet Nightlife Community

engagement rings

quest1127

Ok...I'm planning on getting engaged in the near future. I was hoping there might be some of you cpers out here who have gotten engaged or know somebody who has. Basically I'm trying to figure out what the norm is to spend on a ring. I went looing this weekend and I can't imagine shadier characters then the jewlers taht I ran into. Any input would be much appreciated. Also, girls...any advice on what females look for these days?

Thx

just a recomendation. round cut, around 1 ct, good color and clarity would go for around 2 g's, probly even less. Don't go to 47th street, they'll rip you off tremendously, instead make a trip to ac, they have about 9 jewelry shops, the best prices, in fact at least 50% of jewelers from 47th get their stuff from ac. if really interested i could put you in contact with a jeweler in there.

I think u shoud ask her what she wants. My friend got this huge ring and she hated it cuz her fingers are to small. I think 4-6 g's is perfect. You shoud get your diamond certifed by at least too different certifiers. Capital Diamonds are a great place in New Jersey.

Originally posted by neena16

If I remember correctly, the proper amount is the total of 3 of your paychecks and I am totally serious about this...

No... it's two months' salary... at least that's what the Zales commercials say. :idea:

:laugh: :laugh:

I know someone who got an 18 K ring, shit was just as much as my 99 Teg when I got her brand new.. SAD and BEAUTIFUL @ the same time. I think the ring you get for your woman is telling you what kind of future your marriage holds, get her some cheesy cheap shit, well ya know... I personally will get my girl the ill NA NA ring, and insure that bad boy.... I diamond is forever, so should be your bond in marriage!

Originally posted by quest1127

Ok...I'm planning on getting engaged in the near future. I was hoping there might be some of you cpers out here who have gotten engaged or know somebody who has. Basically I'm trying to figure out what the norm is to spend on a ring. I went looing this weekend and I can't imagine shadier characters then the jewlers taht I ran into. Any input would be much appreciated. Also, girls...any advice on what females look for these days?

Thx

typically its two months salary... but for me it would be whatever was within reason... (id rather spend the money i saved from the ring and from not a huge wedding... and use it as a downpayment on the house...) i couldnt recommend any places but try to use reffrences from ppl who bought in past or from family... three things you look for in a diamond are Cut Clarity and Color... (not that you or i would really know what to look for but these are the basics) as for what girls look for these days... it really depends on what you feel is right, what you feel looks great on her... and what you feel she would love... who cares about the the popular consensus ... this isnt something thats for everyone else to admire and etc... its something thats personal and for just you two to share... i can give you a suggestion on what i would buy my girlfriend (if i had one and if i was in this situation) it would be prolly a suspended ring, with no setting and platinum band or possibly a ring from verragio they make some of the most exquisite rings ive ever seen... (but they cost a fortune) in any event... im sure whatever it is you purchase will be perfect... as long as you buy it with your heart...

(btw you want a corny lil fun fact??? you know why rings are symbolic for engagement and marriage??? because circles are never ending objects with no begining or end... and diamonds becuase simply their forever... well good luck and enjoy...)

Oh yeah, the one I bought was a princess cut... maybe i will post a pic of it this weekend when i get a chance. I have to wait for her to leave, she is visiting people this weekend, and seeing how we live together it might be tough to get a picture of it and scan it...

Thanks for everybodys input :). Somehow it seems that once you stary looking for a ring everybody knows a person who can get you a great deal (i.e. this weekend I'm meeting witht this guy my barber knows:rolleyes: ) Anyway, since I'm a person who doesn't jump into decisions, this might take awhile, I'll keep you guys posted on the saga.