Clubplanet Nightlife Community

what the fuck happened to audiogalaxy

phrankyc

Guest saleen351

Audiogalaxy agrees to filter songs

By Gwendolyn Mariano

Staff Writer, CNET News.com

June 17, 2002, 5:50 PM PT

Audiogalaxy, a popular Internet file-swapping service, agreed Monday to filter copyrighted works as part of a legal settlement with the recording industry.

Under the settlement, Audiogalaxy is required to obtain permission or consent from a songwriter, music publisher and/or recording company to use and share copyrighted works. In addition, Audiogalaxy has agreed to pay the music publishers and recording industry an undetermined amount of money based on Audiogalaxy's assets and interest in resolving the case quickly, according to the RIAA.

The RIAA, along with the National Music Publisher's Association and The Harry Fox Agency, sued Audiogalaxy last month over copyright infringement. The suit was filed in federal court in New York, charging that Audiogalaxy's efforts to filter access to copyrighted songs have been ineffective.

While the settlement clears the way for Audiogalaxy to leave its legal headaches behind, it raises other, equally pressing concerns over the company's future. Audiogalaxy has attracted millions of Web surfers by offering a broad menu of free music--a deal that almost certainly will not survive the settlement.

The tough road to legitimacy for file-swapping companies was illustrated last year by Napster, which added filters aimed at blocking its users from trading unauthorized files, only to shut down voluntarily when they proved insufficient. The company has remained dark ever since. It filed for bankruptcy protection earlier this month, although it still awaits a chance to come back online, according to its primary backer, German media giant Bertelsmann.

The Audiogalaxy settlement comes as the RIAA continues to wage a legal battle against a string of other free-file swapping services, including StreamCast Networks and its Morpheus software, Kazaa BV, Grokster, MP3Board and Madster, formerly known as Aimster.

According to Download.com, a software aggregation site operated by News.com publisher CNET Networks, the software has been downloaded at least 30 million times.

"This is a victory for everyone who cares about protecting the value of music," Hilary Rosen, chairman and chief executive officer of the RIAA, said in a statement. "This should serve as a wake-up call to the other networks that facilitate unauthorized copying. The reasonability for implement systems that allow for the authorized use of copyrighted works rests squarely on the shoulders of the peer-to-peer networks."

Audiogalaxy's CEO Michael Merhej could not be immediately reached for comment.

There are ways around it... everyone can join the same app and help each other out or we can start a weekly CP track email list.

But in order for this to work, people would actually have to share and not be greedy. What a thought, sharing. I'm down, been sharing ever since I downloaded my first mp3. Who's down?

All suggestions and comments are welcome. Does anyone else know of an app similar to AudioGalaxy? Or perhaps we can just make use of the CP Group on AG and send tracks out that way.

Just my .02 cents worth.

I love vinyl but fact of the matter is that the tracks online were more readily available than those on vinyl.

That is what made them more appealing. I would be buy vinyl if tracks became available as fast but they aren't.

I think that we should create like a myplay locker or something to keep it going.

I know that worked for a while. Might be a good idea. Anyone have suggestions???

The RIAA has gotta be fcukin' kidding me. It's bad enough Napster got shut down first <not like it was great, but it paved the way>, now we gotta deal with this too. There's some shit still out there but there's nothing good to get on it. AG always had the exclusive or new stuff before u could get it anywhere else. What's eveyone going to use now so we can still ge the same songs? :bigfinge: RIAA -- you greedy bastards. :chainsaw:

Originally posted by swimmer219

I love vinyl but fact of the matter is that the tracks online were more readily available than those on vinyl.

That is what made them more appealing. I would be buy vinyl if tracks became available as fast but they aren't.

I think that we should create like a myplay locker or something to keep it going.

I know that worked for a while. Might be a good idea. Anyone have suggestions???

that is not really true.. if ur talking about a lot of trance shit like tiesto stuff and pvd.. yes u will be able to get ur hands on stuff like that first because it is released across seas first... it just seems like a lot of stuff is on AG first just cause the amount of people that use it and rip vinyls and upload mp3s.. dont get me wrong u can def find stuff on mp3 before the vinyl is released.. but a majority of stuff comes out on vinyl first.. only the popular and big producers will be available on AG pretty quickly

Guest saleen351

my group on ag is blocking me from sending out tracks.... funny thing is the one I have today is brand new and only 1 person on the net had it before me (according to that chart on AG not sure if its right or not) and its blocked now and it won't let me send it out...

I WAS THINKING OF BUYING DECKS JUST FOR FUN, HOW MUCH DOES THE TYPICAL VINYLE GO FOR AND WILL THOSE FOCKERS UPS THAT SHIT TO ME....?

Originally posted by saleen351

my group on ag is blocking me from sending out tracks.... funny thing is the one I have today is brand new and only 1 person on the net had it before me (according to that chart on AG not sure if its right or not) and its blocked now and it won't let me send it out...

I WAS THINKING OF BUYING DECKS JUST FOR FUN, HOW MUCH DOES THE TYPICAL VINYLE GO FOR AND WILL THOSE FOCKERS UPS THAT SHIT TO ME....?

buying vinyl is not cheap.. ur looking at like 9.99 a vinyl on average.. some are cheaper.. depends.. some are more if they are double packs.. meaning more than one record.. but u have to think not often when u buy a record usually only one of the sides of the vinyl is good.. but not all the time.. it can become a very expensive hobby.. believe me.. u can do shopping on the net.. there are numerous online record store.. but sometimes the clips u listen to dont do the record justice... If ur really considering it.. vinyl shopping is pretty fun.. i just wish it were a little cheaper.. lol

it is fun to go to a nice record store and just pick up a stack of vinyls...and sit in front of a 1200 and listen....such an expensive hobby though....but you find alot of gems on vinyl that get overlooked when MP3 heads get to them

Originally posted by muzikman

that is not really true.. if ur talking about a lot of trance shit like tiesto stuff and pvd.. yes u will be able to get ur hands on stuff like that first because it is released across seas first... it just seems like a lot of stuff is on AG first just cause the amount of people that use it and rip vinyls and upload mp3s.. dont get me wrong u can def find stuff on mp3 before the vinyl is released.. but a majority of stuff comes out on vinyl first.. only the popular and big producers will be available on AG pretty quickly

okae having said that, now i know u get alot of unreleased songs, when u get them, are they usually mp3? if so, i think its gonna be alot harder, in general, to get unreleased stuff, being that the majority of the time its shared thru mp3 and not vinyl. which pretty much blows.

Usually domestic vinyls on the larger labels (i.e. Groovilicious) are 6.99 and imports are around 9.99....its a lot of money for one song if youre just a hobbyist, but it might be the only way from now on, unless you are lucky enough to have connections or are in a record pool of some sort

HOWEVER, maybe people will appreciate going out more now because they cant go home and download every single song that they see posted on the board, or hear out.........for those who dont buy vinyls, every popular song will become somewhat of a Goin Thru It or a Luz.....

BG