Clubplanet Nightlife Community

KU.S. Bombs Kill or Wound Scores @ Afghan Wedding

KABUL (Reuters) - At least 30 members of an Afghan wedding party were killed and many more wounded when a U.S. plane bombed a village in the central province of Uruzgan on Monday, Afghan officials and residents said.

The bombing happened at 1 a.m. Monday in a village in the rugged, mountainous region 105 miles northeast of the southern city of Kandahar, residents said. They told the local Pashtu service of the BBC at least 120 people had been either killed or wounded.

A Defense Ministry official said celebrants were firing into the air, as is traditional in Pashtun weddings.

``There was no-one to help last night,'' resident Abdul Saboor told the BBC. ``We managed to transfer some of the wounded to Kandahar in the morning. Some of the foreigners' choppers also came to help.

``There are no Taliban or al Qaeda or Arabs here. These people were all civilians, women and children.''

Defense Ministry official Dr. Gulbuddin told Reuters: ``More than 30 people were killed. It was a wedding ceremony and some of the participants were firing in the sky as part of the celebration. Americans have confessed that they made a mistake.''

BOMB MISSED TARGET

In Washington, the Pentagon said at least one bomb dropped by Western warplanes had missed its target in southern Afghanistan on Monday, but that it could not confirm claims that members of a wedding party had been killed.

Navy Lt. Cmdr. Jeff Davis, a Pentagon spokesman, said anti-aircraft fire was directed at an air patrol of ``coalition warplanes'' and they had responded with close air support north of Kandahar.

``At least one bomb was errant. We don't know where it fell,'' Davis said. ``We are aware of reports of civilian casualties but don't know if casualties were caused as a result of the bomb.''

The International Security Assistance Force, responsible for security in the capital Kabul, 170 miles to the north, told Reuters it had contacted the U.S. liaison office which had heard nothing of any attack.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai told the local Bakhtar Information Agency the ``sudden attack'' happened in the Dehrawud district of Uruzgan province.

``We are trying to organize aid and a commission has gone there headed by the ministry of frontiers affairs,'' he said.

The United States launched air strikes against Afghanistan last year against the al Qaeda network of Osama bin Laden, blamed for the September 11 attacks on Washington and New York, and the group's Taliban protectors.

There have been several reports of the United States mistakenly attacking civilian targets since Washington's bombing offensive began.

In May, the U.S. army rejected reports it had mistakenly attacked a wedding party after the private Afghan Islamic Press reported that U.S. planes had pounded the village of Bul Khil in Khost province after mistaking traditional firing at a wedding for an attack.

Are they so heartless.....why the fuck are they still bombing in Afghanistan? Haven't they tested all their toys yet? Is there honestly still a threat from the country? It's been reduced to rubbles and ashes, isn't it enough already?!!? Fucking American troops need to go the fuck home!

Here's an update from MSN:

U.S. bomb kills scores of Afghans

Afghan official says as many as 250 killed, 400 wounded in blast at wedding

BREAKING NEWS

MSNBC STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS

KABUL, Afghanistan, July 1 — A source from the Afghan Ministry of Defense told NBC News that a bomb dropped by a U.S. plane killed at least 250 members of an Afghan wedding party in an attack on a village in Uruzgan province southeast of Kabul on Monday. Pentagon officials confirmed that an errant bomb was dropped during a bombing run over a suspected enemy target in southern Afghanistan overnight. U.S. officials also acknowledged there have been reports of civilian casualties but said they have no details yet on the numbers of injured or dead.

THE AFGHAN SOURCE said that as many as 400 people might be wounded. But even on the ground, initial reports of the incident were conflicting.Residents said the bombing occurred 105 miles northeast of the southwestern city of Kandahar at about 1 a.m. local time.

Bismullah, communications chief of Uruzgan province, where the attack occurred, said Afghans were firing weapons in the air during the wedding as is common in rural Afghanistan. He said U.S. planes attacked, but his casualty estimates were much lower than the Afghan Ministry of Defense’s figures. About 40 people were killed and 70 injured, Bismullah said.

U.S. RESPONSE

According to U.S. officials, U.S. and coalition warplanes on routine surveillance encountered anti-aircraft fire in the Uruzgan province and called in airstrikes on the suspected anti-aircraft site. This area is considered Taliban country and a suspected hiding spot for Taliban leader Mullah Omar.

Once it was confirmed that a number of enemy forces were on the ground, U.S. aircraft — including at least one B-52 bomber and an AC-130 gunship — began to bomb the target. U.S. military officials told NBC News that it appears the errant bomb was a JDAM (a 2,000-pound GPS-guided weapon known as the Joint Direct Attack Munition) dropped by a B-52 bomber overnight. The B-52 was part of a military operation in Uruzgan in which U.S. aircraft were bombing caves and bunkers suspected of housing Taliban or al-Qaida militants, according to the officials. The officials added that they still do not know where the errant bomb landed and cannot yet confirm any deaths associated with it.

“Right now there are a lot of different opinions as to what happened,†said U.S. military spokesman Col. Roger King at the Bagram air base north of Kabul. He added that U.S. investigators would be sent to the area and that four people who were injured were treated by U.S. forces. Afghan President Hamid Karzai told the local Bakhtar Information Agency the “sudden attack†happened in the Dehrawud district of Uruzgan province. “We are trying to organize aid and a commission has gone there headed by the ministry of frontiers affairs,†he said. U.S. forces have been targeting al-Qaida hideouts in the area. There have been several reports of the United States’ mistakenly attacking civilian targets since Washington’s bombing offensive started in Afghanistan on Oct. 7 last year.

GRENADES HIT U.S. CAMP

In a separate development earlier Monday, two rocket-propelled grenades were fired at an airfield in eastern Afghanistan used by U.S. special forces troops, a military spokesman, but no injuries were reported. King said it was not known who fired the grenades late Sunday, which exploded within the grounds of the airfield near the eastern city of Khost. He declined to say how close the explosions were to U.S. forces, though he said no equipment was damaged. U.S. forces did not return fire because they could not determine which direction the grenades came from, King said. Special forces troops were searching for the source of the attack. “It was enough of a concern that we wanted to go out and find out who was shooting at us,†King told reporters at Bagram air base near Kabul, the capital, which is the headquarters of U.S. military operations in Afghanistan. “But it’s not like somebody penetrated our perimeter.â€He said the rockets have a range of about 300 yards. About 50 U.S. special forces troops are based at the field in Khost, 93 miles south of Kabul, King said. King also said there had been “sporadic gunfire†near the base during the weekend. He did not elaborate, and it was not clear if the firing was directed at the base. Many Afghans keep weapons, mostly automatic rifles, in their homes for security reasons.

FREQUENTLY A TARGET

U.S. troops and their allies have repeatedly come under rocket fire in Afghanistan in recent weeks but have suffered no casualties. Sur Gul, the security chief in Khost, said three rockets were fired in the direction of the airport on Saturday but landed about a mile short.

U.S. and British troops have been searching the area around Khost and other provinces near the Pakistani border for al-Qaida and Taliban fighters. Few fighters have been found. U.S. troops in Khost also came under rocket fire on June 24 and June 25 but suffered no casualties. They dispatched patrols to search for the source of the firing, but the patrol’s results weren’t immediately known.It is not known if al-Qaida, the Taliban or local warlords have been firing the rockets. King said U.S. special forces patrols during the weekend found two large weapons caches in caves in southeastern Afghanistan, the latest in a series of weapons stockpiles uncovered by U.S. and British troops in recent weeks.

He said there were signs of recent activity in the caves, found on Saturday and Sunday with the help of Afghan allies near villages in the hills that separate Paktika and Paktia provinces. “There were some things that were found that would lead me to believe that this facility was used within the relatively recent past,†King said, without elaborating.

TURKS TAKE COMMAND OF AIRPORT

On Sunday, NATO’s only Muslim nation, Turkey, took command of the strategic Kabul airport, the key lifeline for the Afghan capital and international peacekeepers stationed there. Turkish air force Col. Kazem Ondul accepted command from Britain of the 2,453-member international force stationed at the airport. Britain is expected to scale back its forces in Afghanistan. On June 20, Turkey — an historic Afghan ally — took command of the 19-nation peacekeeping mission in the capital. “Our mission is to run and maintain the airport up to international standards and one day return it over to the Afghan control,†said Ondul during the formal handover ceremony, which included flyovers by two helicopters and inspection of the Royal Air Force and Turkish troops.

Originally posted by igloo

I vote for nuking your tired ass....

Why don't you shut the fuck up already ....

no, YOU shut the fuck up...oh wait, you already did....guess your mouth is too busy right now, being wrapped around gsp's dick and all.:blown:

ohh man, now we got alabama toothless nazis on this board. see people, this is why inbreeding is bad for you!

yo sassa, it was a tragic accident. the US forces are probably the most competent and professional in the world. you dont know the situation on the ground, and to say that they were just playing with their toys is wrong. there are hundreds of al qada fighters scattered throughout afghanistan. obviously this was a tragedy, but war is never easy. you will always have civilian casualties whether you like it or not. dont forget who threw the taliban out of there.

"Are they so heartless.....why the fuck are they still bombing in Afghanistan? Haven't they tested all their toys yet? Is there honestly still a threat from the country? It's been reduced to rubbles and ashes, isn't it enough already?!!? Fucking American troops need to go the fuck home!"----Another brilliant quote from Sassa....

This is the ultimate example of what a fucking imbecile you are...you have no fucking clue what you are talking about- no matter what the subject is...

You are simply a repulsive low-life loser who talks shit just to dupe yourself into believing you actually have intelligence....nothing but a moronic fucking piece of shit whore

JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY AND LEAVE THE COUNTRY!!!!

gmccookny and nycmuzik...if you guys have the ability to delete posts then please delete this piece of shit igloo's post. i am really getting tired of reading this nasty shit. unfortunately, for some reason, i don't have those controls, so please....if i could block this motherfucker for good i would...

Originally posted by sassa

gmccookny and nycmuzik...if you guys have the ability to delete posts then please delete this piece of shit igloo's post. i am really getting tired of reading this nasty shit. unfortunately, for some reason, i don't have those controls, so please....if i could block this motherfucker for good i would...

Does my freedom of speech bother the leftist Sassa....Isn't it my right to voice my opinion of the great Sassa.....

Are my personal attacks on you any different than your attacks on everyone and everything?

Is the tough guy Sassa OK to dish it out, but can't take it back? Is that Sassa moving to squash those who not only disagree with her ridiculous views, but find her very being repulsive?

Shut the fuck up hypocritical moron! You really are a fucking idiot

i swear, if i knew who you were, and i found you, you'd be in the hospital fighting for your life...

enough with the insults. you are a one minded asshole, we all know this, we all know you were sexually abused by your father and grandfather, we know you are a confused transsexual who pimps herself for money, we know you like to shove gerbils up your ass.....

enough is enough....you are taking it too far.

you can express your opinion on issues, but i am sick of your insults.

will someone PLEASE delete his posts or move this thread, because i cannot and Dave has not given me any moderator rights.

Originally posted by sassa

you motherfucker! you have the right to express your opinion, but you HAVE NO FUCKING RIGHT TO CONTINUOUSLY INSULT ME!

All you do is fucking spew anti-American bullshit, including right after 9/11...I don't forget the things you said you piece of shit

Your comments from that day on, and your very existence is an insult....if you want to say the things you do, then expect it back jerkoff

Go fuck yourself in another country loser

Come to alabama boy.

You do not own this site or the internet for that matter. You are a pain in the ass of every red blooded white American and a sorry liberal f*ck. Go back to the Israeli shit hole you came from and shove it up your as*

Originally posted by igloo

All you do is fucking spew anti-American bullshit, including right after 9/11...I don't forget the things you said you piece of shit

Your comments from that day on, and your very existence is an insult....if you want to say the things you do, then expect it back jerkoff

Go fuck yourself in another country loser

You the man! Long live freedom.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a thought:

Why are we believing unreliable enemy sources about what our military did over there. This might be an enemy propaganda campaign aimed at making our forces look bad. I am really saddened to see so people bad mouth this country and the military.