Clubplanet Nightlife Community

wow, stuff i didn't know! (STD INFO)

wideskies

Originally posted by cool2223423123

Hoke:

a) You DO need sex to exist happily

No, YOU need sex to exist happily. Not everyone does. I need FRIENDS to exist happily.

B) It's true that you can still get STDs even if you use a condoms, yet condoms make it much much harder to get STDs.

True.

c) Monogamy IS a practical safeguard against Sex if you both get tested. True, there could always be that case where the disease slipped through, yet you could get hit by a truck tomorrow as well. It's pretty unlikely. Unless I am to assume that you are refering only to HPV, which you say is nearly impossible to test for in men? And can that lead to cervical dysplasia in women? Is that why women get pap smears? Or do you need to have pap smears even you've never had sex?

The pap only reveals HPV once cervical dysplasia has begun. A clear pap doesn't mean that the woman isn't carrying HPV. And there are no reliable tests for HPV in men or women (but especially men). The point is, it's not possible to test for everything, so there is no such thing as a clean bill of health.

d) Tests for everyone are the best way to deal with STDs!! We should have STD clinics on every corner!!

While we can't test for everything, I do agree... there's plenty that we could catch and prevent from spreading.

e) And finally.... You could die tomorrow. Do you really want to live your whole life without sex? I don't.

Well, first of all, if I died today, I would by no means have led my whole life without sex, lol. But from where I stand today... I want to live a happy, meaningful life. That doesn't involve random hookups. I will have sex again when I meet someone I care about and am willing to take a risk with. I don't think any sex outside of that will make me any happier.

Info on HPV http://www.unspeakable.com/facts/warts.jsp (Where did you get your 60%-80% statistic?)

Try the Center for Disease Control (CDC), for example. I consider them a reliable source, and they estimate that 50-75% of sexually active 15-49 years olds will acquire HPV at some time in their lives. They say that's not the number currently infected, but since there are no reliable tests for HPV, HPV is a viral infection (duh), and HPV can be asymptomatic, I don't see how you can reasonably determine which of those 50-75% are currently infected.

The bottom line is this: sex is not safe, and I don't think that incurable STDs are a worthy trade-off for temporary hormonal satisfaction.

Hoke:

a) You DO need sex to exist happily

B) It's true that you can still get STDs even if you use a condoms, yet condoms make it much harder to get STDs.

c) Monogamy IS a practical safeguard against Sex if you both get tested. True, there could always be that case where the disease slipped through, yet you could get hit by a truck tomorrow as well. It's pretty unlikely. Unless I am to assume that you are refering only to HPV, which you say is nearly impossible to test for in men? And can that lead to cervical dysplasia in women? Is that why women get pap smears? Or do you need to have pap smears even you've never had sex?

I think I read that HPV makes it MORE LIKELY to get cervical dysplasia, yet you still need to have pap smears even if you've never had sex. I don't know what cervical dysplasia is, or anything about it.

My point was that it's kind of wierd that you're saying to fear sex because you could get HPV, or because HPV can be asymptomatic in men, yet still transmisable, (can it be asymptomatic in women?) when 60%-80% of the population has HPV in any case. Though having genital warts would be scary. Even though they can be frozen off that would be really fucked.

In any case, use condoms. Diseases sure suck.

Now, which other diseases are hard to test for?

We have

Uncurable:

HIV

Herpes

HPV

(Hepatitis B - get vacinated)

Curable:

Gonorhea

Chlamydia

Syphilis

Trichomniasis

Crabs/Lice

I also wanted to say, that I think diseases are ultimately a product of the mind. Change your mind on the level of the disease and the disease will go away. Take precautions in any case.

If everyone was regularly tested for diseases, we wouldn't even have any issues with sex, except for the risk of unwanted babies (which is the only thing that truly makes sex "immoral"). In that case use condoms and birth control, (and maybe they will come out with a male birth control soon as well) and the risk of unwanted babies falls. You have a risk of unwanted babies when you're married in any case. So unless you want to be a MONK (and we've seen how well that's worked with Catholic Priests) and not have sex your whole life there's not really any difference or issue between a one night stand and banging your wife of 30 years. However I am still sort of thinking about this... Rememberl when you have sex you are laying down with someone and may be picking up whatever germs they may have.

However ultimately it's not what you put in you that defiles you, but what comes out. So create love and put the Spirit above the flesh, and everything will be a-okay

I think I read that HPV makes it MORE LIKELY to get cervical dysplasia, yet you still need to have pap smears even if you've never had sex. I don't know what cervical dysplasia is, or anything about it.

Cervical dysplasia is pre-cancerous cells on the cervix. If untreated (i.e., surgery to remove the abnormal cells), it can lead to cervical cancer. Approximately 95% or so of cervical dysplasia is caused by the HPV virus.

There are multiple strains of HPV, some of which cause genital warts and nothing else, and others ("high risk" HPV) that generally don't cause warts but do cause cervical dysplasia.

If you have the warts kind, they can be treated, but you'll still carry the virus, and can certainly pass it on. The virus is known to go into remission, but it's not known whether it's completely gone or simply dormant.

My point was that it's kind of wierd that you're saying to fear sex because you could get HPV, or because HPV can be asymptomatic in men, yet still transmisable, (can it be asymptomatic in women?) when 60%-80% of the population has HPV in any case. Though having genital warts would be scary. Even though they can be frozen off that would be really fucked.

HPV is the only disease that I know of that can't be tested for, but it's not the only disease that can be passed even with condoms... and that's the scariest part to me, because it means you have to REALLY trust your partner before sleeping with her, and that still might not be enough if she has a disease that's asymptomatic.

In any case, you're right, condoms should always be used anyway, because they do prevent many other diseases.

I also wanted to say, that I think diseases are ultimately a product of the mind. Change your mind on the level of the disease and the disease will go away. Take precautions in any case.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. A disease is a disease, and there's only so much your body can do to fight it. People with STDs certainly shouldn't ignore them, because while they may feel better personally, it's simply not fair to their partners.

I also don't think that widespread testing would solve the problem, because think about it -- do people who know they have STDs stop having sex? I've met some people who had STDs and slept around a lot nonetheless... for testing to cure anything, you'd need to be able to have a level of faith in people that I personally think is quite unrealistic, sad as that may be.

The best we can do is be good people, be as responsible as possible with our bodies, and hope that we don't get hurt or hurt others along the way... isn't that what life's about anyway?

of course, unless abstinence is your method of keeping safe from STDS and pregnancy, there is no guarentee that your partner won't be lying about what s/he has or doesn't have.

unfortunately, i've met people who have concluded that their own pleasure is worth more than the ruined lives of people they've infected; they either lie or fail to inform their partners of diseases they carry and thereby practice unsafe sex.

that is the ultimate act of selfishness.

of course, unless abstinence is your method of keeping safe from STDS and pregnancy, there is no guarentee that your partner won't be lying about what s/he has or doesn't have.

unfortunately, i've met people who have concluded that their own pleasure is worth more than the ruined lives of people they've infected; they either lie or fail to inform their partners of diseases they carry and thereby practice unsafe sex.

that is the ultimate act of selfishness.

Originally posted by hoke

I'm not sure what you mean by this. A disease is a disease, and there's only so much your body can do to fight it. People with STDs certainly shouldn't ignore them, because while they may feel better personally, it's simply not fair to their partners.

You have diseases because you believe that you can get diseases and that

something can be "done to you." This isn't to say that "it's all in your

mind" or that it's your beliefs and thoughts that create your mind.

Because... while you do all this to yourself, diseases are rather

"un-will" than the will. Diseases are a perversion of will. You do not

create your will, and as God is the creator of your will and of you, and as

you are the maker of the world you see, God must also be the creator of the

world you see... The world does not exist, except when you ask for it.

Diseases are a product of the mind, but the mind does not create itself.

The mind can not heal itself because the mind is merely an imaginary concept

you have made. Know the Spirit... know what you are, and know yourself

(this is entirely natural and known by everyone - yet sometimes misplaced

and forgotten in confusion) and you have the power to cure all physical

ailments. But I don't mean to imply by this, that if you believed it, that

your mind could heal itself from diseases. For while if you believed it, it

would be true, all you would really be believing is that diseases are

impossible. Which is the truth, yet not the point. Diseases, and lack of

diseases are meaningless. What is meaningful is love, life, and freedom,

and anything you want and ask for. You have given everything you see, all

the meaning that it has for you. And love is meaning. And you'll never be

harmed if you don't fear.

You have diseases because you believe that you can get diseases and that

something can be "done to you." This isn't to say that "it's all in your

mind" or that it's your beliefs and thoughts that create your mind.

Because... while you do all this to yourself, diseases are rather

"un-will" than the will. Diseases are a perversion of will. You do not

create your will, and as God is the creator of your will and of you, and as

you are the maker of the world you see, God must also be the creator of the

world you see... The world does not exist, except when you ask for it.

Diseases are a product of the mind, but the mind does not create itself.

The mind can not heal itself because the mind is merely an imaginary concept

you have made. Know the Spirit... know what you are, and know yourself

(this is entirely natural and known by everyone - yet sometimes misplaced

and forgotten in confusion) and you have the power to cure all physical

ailments. But I don't mean to imply by this, that if you believed it, that

your mind could heal itself from diseases. For while if you believed it, it

would be true, all you would really be believing is that diseases are

impossible. Which is the truth, yet not the point. Diseases, and lack of

diseases are meaningless. What is meaningful is love, life, and freedom,

and anything you want and ask for. You have given everything you see, all

the meaning that it has for you. And love is meaning. And you'll never be

harmed if you don't fear.

what the fuck????

*bump*

I would make STD info *permanently* sticky on this board, personally... if not this thread, then maybe a new thread with links to the CDC and other sites...

really dont know whats going on here. . .1st a thread dissapears. . .now the sticky was removed. . .growl :mad:

Guest gabo

I admit to removing the sticky... my fault.

btw clubkat... I want to make your face all sticky in my own little way.

"You have diseases because you believe that you can get diseases and that something can be "done to you."...

ok so your saying this is all in our minds and we allow ourselves to be hurt and infected by these things because we believe in them..and if u dont believe in them then u cant get infected...??....this isnt the forum or place for that "god creator" bullshit or love this or love that..fuck that shit..

straight up...STD's...HIV..AIDS dont give a fuck what race..color or creed you are..how religious u are or if you are a billionare or a heroin addict on the street...they know no bounds and the only reason they exist is to multiple and kill...period.

maybe u dont have sex with anyone..thats fine..do whatcha gotta do..but realize that anyone u have sex with (even virgins could have HIV or anything else given to them at the time of birth) could be lying to you or they dont know they are infected..and once u get the drips from your dick or the clap or something...you can pray for the rest of us cuz we'll be movin on...

this has some good info in it...keep goin with the legitmate info and weed this other shit out.

More useful info, because I discovered recently that a friend of mine didn't know this -- I used to think it was common knowledge:

There is a period after being infected in which the HIV virus is not detectable. After 3 months, I believe the detection rate is about 80% and it's much closer to 100% after about 6 months.

So even if you're getting tested regularly... do keep that latency period in mind!

More useful info, because I discovered recently that a friend of mine didn't know this -- I used to think it was common knowledge:

There is a period after being infected in which the HIV virus is not detectable. After 3 months, I believe the detection rate is about 80% and it's much closer to 100% after about 6 months.

So even if you're getting tested regularly... do keep that latency period in mind!

I used to think that was common knowledge, too. I wonder if people have stopped worrying about it and have become complacent, so that younger people these days aren't bothering to educate themselves.

Originally posted by Kuro

I used to think that was common knowledge, too. I wonder if people have stopped worrying about it and have become complacent, so that younger people these days aren't bothering to educate themselves.

Young people know a lot more than we give them credit for... I've seen 13-year old girls in clinics getting contraceptives and STD tests... what's worse in my opinion is *older* generations, who grew up with a limited number of STDs to worry about, and haven't kept up with all the latest information.

Young people know a lot more than we give them credit for... I've seen 13-year old girls in clinics getting contraceptives and STD tests... what's worse in my opinion is *older* generations, who grew up with a limited number of STDs to worry about, and haven't kept up with all the latest information.

I wasn't thinking that young. I guess I just mean a few years younger than me (who might be the exact ones you're refering to).

Originally posted by Kuro

I wasn't thinking that young. I guess I just mean a few years younger than me (who might be the exact ones you're refering to).

Well, I'm 23, so anyone in their late 20s and up qualifies as an older generation... :tongue:

Not all people with STDs are "nasty"... in fact, I'd wager that most are very good, generally cautious people who are victims of circumstance... maybe they were lied to by a previous partner, for instance.

Yeah, it might seem nasty, and that's the first reaction you have when you get a disease, but that person could have been cheated on or lied to.