Clubplanet Nightlife Community

US Planning to Recruit 1 in 24 Americans as Spies

sassa

US planning to recruit one in 24 Americans as citizen

spies

By Ritt Goldstein

July 15 2002

http://www.middleeast.org/launch/redirect.cgi?num=18&location=http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/07/14/1026185141232.html

The Bush Administration aims to recruit millions of

United States citizens as domestic informants in a

program likely to alarm civil liberties groups.

The Terrorism Information and Prevention System, or

TIPS, means the US will have a higher percentage of

citizen informants than the former East Germany

through the infamous Stasi secret police. The program

would use a minimum of 4 per cent of Americans to

report "suspicious activity".

Civil liberties groups have already warned that, with

the passage earlier this year of the Patriot Act,

there is potential for abusive, large-scale

investigations of US citizens.

As with the Patriot Act, TIPS is being pursued as part

of the so-called war against terrorism. It is a

Department of Justice project.

Highlighting the scope of the surveillance network,

TIPS volunteers are being recruited primarily from

among those whose work provides access to homes,

businesses or transport systems. Letter carriers,

utility employees, truck drivers and train conductors

are among those named as targeted recruits.

A pilot program, described on the government Web site

www.citizencorps.gov, is scheduled to start next month

in 10 cities, with 1 million informants participating

in the first stage. Assuming the program is initiated

in the 10 largest US cities, that will be 1 million

informants for a total population of almost 24

million, or one in 24 people.

Historically, informant systems have been the tools of

non-democratic states. According to a 1992 report by

Harvard University's Project on Justice, the accuracy

of informant reports is problematic, with some

informants having embellished the truth, and others

suspected of having fabricated their reports.

Present Justice Department procedures mean that

informant reports will enter databases for future

reference and/or action. The information will then be

broadly available within the department, related

agencies and local police forces. The targeted

individual will remain unaware of the existence of the

report and of its contents.

The Patriot Act already provides for a person's home

to be searched without that person being informed that

a search was ever performed, or of any surveillance

devices that were implanted.

At state and local levels the TIPS program will be

co-ordinated by the Federal Emergency Management

Agency, which

was given sweeping new powers, including internment,

as part of the Reagan Administration's national

security initiatives. Many key figures of the Reagan

era are part of the Bush Administration.

The creation of a US "shadow government", operating in

secret, was another Reagan national security

initiative.

Ritt Goldstein is an investigative journalist and a

former leader in the movement for US law enforcement

accountability. He has lived in Sweden since 1997,

seeking political asylum there, saying he was the

victim of life-threatening assaults in retaliation for

his accountability efforts. His application has been

supported by the European Parliament, five of Sweden's

seven big political parties, clergy, and Amnesty and

other rights groups.

This is wrong in so many ways:

--faulty reporting incidents by incompetents

--xtra spending and intrusion by government

--allowable search w/out warning and consent :eek:

we can do this in much more effective ways, whether it be updating our technology, or simply ingraining in the general American public that we must be more aware an conscientious of events around us. (plastering wanted ad's on radio-tv more often could help)

I just hope the Democrats and civil liberties unions defent our rights here :mad3:

well im ready to go james bond on your ass, jk. this is some pretty scary 1984 type shit. like kids are gonna rat out their parents like the hitler youth and the kids in china with the little red book. woah, politics and militant youth do not mix. do not add water.

God forbid we actually try and kick the shit out of Al-Qaeda and win this war...you know that thing this country is ACTUALLY in...

Not sure if you noticed, but this is not make believe...

I understand your concerns with respects to civil liberties, which always must be protected....but at least please try and factor what must be done to truly win this war...because that is exactly what this is

I wonder if each of you would still be making some of these comments if Al-Qaeda hit again....

A war is when you have two states or nation-states fighting against one another..in this case, this is not a war, but the US trying to uproot a terrorist organization which has no national identity. At least get your definition of war correct, if anything.

Originally posted by sassa

A war is when you have two states or nation-states fighting against one another..in this case, this is not a war, but the US trying to uproot a terrorist organization which has no national identity. At least get your definition of war correct, if anything.

This is a WAR ...plain and simple.....

Just because it does not fit nicely into a definition does not mean it is not a WAR....stick your petty shit up your ass..

I also suggest instead of posting the shit you normally dig up, perhaps you should spend some time researching/learning what the US is exactly up against, then let me know if you think this is a war....if you can pull your head out of your ass...

National identity???...it shows how much you really know

Originally posted by igloo

This is a WAR ...plain and simple.....

Just because it does not fit nicely into a definition does not mean it is not a WAR....stick your petty shit up your ass..

I also suggest instead of posting the shit you normally dig up, perhaps you should spend some time researching/learning what the US is exactly up against, then let me know if you think this is a war....if you can pull your head out of your ass...

National identity???...it shows how much you really know

Wow once again the voice of the ignorant mob mentality. "Ooh we are at war, let's kill everyone who's not white and violate civil rights laws, don't you see that we need to spy on each other in order to be safe!" Dude you need to relax, no shit we are in a war, but who's fault is that? The U.S. government should have never gotten involved in foreign affairs like it did to provoke all this "terrorism", funny how both americans and israelis did similar acts but considered themselves "freedom fighters", remember the words of George Washington in his farewell address "Beware of foreign entanglements" and thats just what the United States has gotten itself into. Don't tell me that my rights are going to be violated because you beleive that oppression is neccesarry for national security, fuck that, y'all white people can worry about dying everyday just like the rest of us non-whites. Fight the power!:afro::punch:

Originally posted by t0nythelover

Wow once again the voice of the ignorant mob mentality. "Ooh we are at war, let's kill everyone who's not white and violate civil rights laws, don't you see that we need to spy on each other in order to be safe!" Dude you need to relax, no shit we are in a war, but who's fault is that? The U.S. government should have never gotten involved in foreign affairs like it did to provoke all this "terrorism", funny how both americans and israelis did similar acts but considered themselves "freedom fighters", remember the words of George Washington in his farewell address "Beware of foreign entanglements" and thats just what the United States has gotten itself into. Don't tell me that my rights are going to be violated because you beleive that oppression is neccesarry for national security, fuck that, y'all white people can worry about dying everyday just like the rest of us non-whites. Fight the power!:afro::punch:

Please do not have children.....please

Please do not have children.....please

oh c'mon don't take the easy way out. please tell me how having a group of citizens that are likely to violate all types of civil and privacy rights are going to help national security. we went through this type of garbage during the Mcarthy hearings, we don't need this bs anymore. What's next a blacklist?

oh c'mon don't take the easy way out. please tell me how having a group of citizens that are likely to violate all types of civil and privacy rights are going to help national security. we went through this type of garbage during the Mcarthy hearings, we don't need this bs anymore. What's next a blacklist?

You just don't get it

no, thats why i asked you to explain it to me.

Can't, you and your leftist buddies are too far gone....if the past 9 months couldn't pull your heads out of your asses to realize we live in a new world, nothing will....

Let's all pray and hope nothing ever happens again in this country, but if it did, I am certain that the same people (like you, sassa, etc) who are screaming civil liberties and conspiracies at every unapplicable turn will also be the first screaming that the Bush Govt did nothing to protect you.....or "what did he know"....

dude, your telling me you can't give me an explanation because im a leftist and im too far gone? havn't you ever heard of backing up your points with facts? you are nothing but bullshit. you talk shit and feel proud because you have a flag up you ass. just because someone disagrees with the government that doesn't make them a leftist. free speech and debates are what freedom is about baby, so unplug your sphincter and wipe the shit of your lips. the people run the government, not the other way around. and just because some people talk louder than others that doesn't mean that their ideas are always right.:bootysha: (out yo ass fool)

You and your leftist fellow morons are the epitome of talking shit....that is all you do....talk shit and then hide behind freedom of speech and debate ...blah, blah, blah...

and it is leftists like yourself who are fucking hypocrites because you look to silence all those who challenge your bullshit and are tired of your bullshit, conspiracy theories, and "blame the US for everything" attitude...

And you and your fellow leftists morons create a false sense of elitism around yourselves because you think "you are being patriotic" by challenging your govt at every turn, irrespective of whether you actually know what you are talking about or have a clue, yet label anyone who disagrees with you as a "flag-waver"...

Bashing your govt at every opportunity, when you have no fucking clue what you are talking about, is an abuse of a freedom, something that was given to you by others through sacrifice..something assholes like yourself have no respect for, but instead trivialize for your petty "debates'

Shut the fuck up already fraud...

You and your leftist fellow morons are the epitome of talking shit....that is all you do....talk shit and then hide behind freedom of speech and debate ...blah, blah, blah...

and it is leftists like yourself who are fucking hypocrites because you look to silence all those who challenge your bullshit and are tired of your bullshit, conspiracy theories, and "blame the US for everything" attitude...

And you and your fellow leftists morons create a false sense of elitism around yourselves because you think "you are being patriotic" by challenging your govt at every turn, irrespective of whether you actually know what you are talking about or have a clue, yet label anyone who disagrees with you as a "flag-waver"...

Bashing your govt at every opportunity, when you have no fucking clue what you are talking about, is an abuse of a freedom, something that was given to you by others through sacrifice..something assholes like yourself have no respect for, but instead trivialize for your petty "debates'

Shut the fuck up already fraud...

please die a slow, painful death. you never back up your words, all you can do is rant, and i wish i could see the look on your face when you one day realize that you are totally and completely wrong.

p.s. don't twist shit on me and assume i think i am right, but i know for a fact that your blind trust for the bush administration will not last far...look how the dumb fuck is screwing things up for this country already.

btw, don't bother replying, i'd rather eat ants than hear your bullshit anymore.

Originally posted by sassa

please die a slow, painful death. you never back up your words, all you can do is rant, and i wish i could see the look on your face when you one day realize that you are totally and completely wrong.

p.s. don't twist shit on me and assume i think i am right, but i know for a fact that your blind trust for the bush administration will not last far...look how the dumb fuck is screwing things up for this country already.

btw, don't bother replying, i'd rather eat ants than hear your bullshit anymore.

Sassa..first off, there has never been anyone who has been proven wrong more than you in the last nine months...from September on, you have been throwing bullshit out, and have not been right yet...just like all leftists, keep wailing about anything and everything, and then maybe , just maybe something will stick, and you get lucky and can claim your self an intellect...

So please, shut the fuck up ..stick to posting unbalanced, unsubstantiated leftist bullshit- it is your only redeeming quality.....seriously, you are a loser..cme to grips with it ...oh yeah, I forgot, you took a poly sci class in college, you are soooo smart...jerkoff

Blind faith?...it goes to show how fucking stupid you are...

And what are you Mrs self proclaimed "inspiration for the world"...the only thing you inspire is for people with your DNA to not have children again you fuckng repulsive piece of shit....

Sassa please kill yourself....trust me, the world would be a better place

why can't you just give me some facts to back up your oppinion, or is that too leftist a concept for you?

"The U.S. government should have never gotten involved in foreign affairs like it did to provoke all this "terrorism", "

Nice job tonythelover with that quote- show you really know what you are talking about....like I said, you demonstrate your "blame America" attitude and then complain we don't do enough around the world......BTW, that quote is a disgrace....

NOTHING can justify what was done on 9/11....NOTHING..no matter how you try and twist your perverted leftists thoughts...you are a fucking disgrace saying something like this....shameful

"you beleive that oppression is neccesarry for national security, fuck that, y'all white people can worry about "

Nice job throwing the race card out there...tired

And facts about what jerkoff?....Sassa throws out every far fetched article, unsubstantiated pile of bullshit she can find, and morons like you support it....yet when challenged you want the facts back........YOU morons are the ones throwing shit out there....produce some facts, and then maybe I wouldn't neeed to point out your stupidity. Trust me, you will thank me one day

Fucking hypocrites

I showed this shit to my boss, who's a former Congressman and he died of laughter....igloo, you are sad.....very very sad....:laugh: at least you know you have become a joke around the office...the typical shmuck dumbass blindly led american...so pathetic...you are such a loooooooooser.

Nice try imbecile using the same language I use to describe you...too difficult for you to come up with something on your own????....

This former congressman of yours, if you didn't make it up, ..why is he a FORMER congressman?....

Give it up already...face facts and realize you are a repulsive little whore trying to create some pathetic self importance for yourself, yet despite your efforts, remain a fucking hypocritical imbecile who has yet to be right about anything...

Keep trying though, maybe one day you will get lucky and may actually get something right...I do highly doubt it though, so my advice to you is to kill yourself......you wouldn't be missed..at all...

ps. you are actually not a laughingstock in my office....words used to describe you range from pathetic to loser to clueless to lost to whore to disgrace to shameful to embarassing to plain dumb to delusional to imbecile, etc.....my favorite is repulsive- a perfect word for you

And why are you still in this country- please leave or kill yourself

he's a former congressman because he got sick of the government's bullshit.

don't you have anything else better to say than all this ignorant bullshit? it's getting repetitive....i know for sure now you're probably going to post the same shit over now once you've read this...i only hope that when you go through life, people will see through right you for the moron that you are.