Clubplanet Nightlife Community

i've been doing a lot of reading...

bkissa

i strated studying the nervous system and that took me into reading about how drugs affect it. what i've read is absolutely horrifying. made me sick to my stomach to find out what i was actually doing to my brain in the past. especially what was scary is what seratonin imbalances can do. often times the damage is very long term if not permanent.

another thing that i found really appalling is what SSRI's do to you. the companies selling them dont tell you what really goes on in your brain when you take them. the testing they do is deceiving and doctors are bribed to make a good report for them. remember how in the 50's amphetamines were commonly perscribed for depression, and in the 60's valium and xanax were taken by many many people who got more harm than good from them. now it is the same w. anti-depressants.

many people have died or gone insane from MDMA, LSD, anti-depressants and the like.

right now im too scared to do drugs again and im even wary about taking perscription or over the counter drugs.

if all of you only knew what you're doing to yourselves, my guess is you would stop. just hoping that you all do your research.

Originally posted by dirtyepic18

ill just stick to weed. thanks.

weeds not the best thing for u either..from the shit ive read not much better then cigs..a lot more tar..none of that crap like pesticides and shit but other things..lemme do some research and repost that stuff when i get it...

ok this is one of the things that happens...

usually your level of seratonin is highest when you are wide awake and your level of melatonin is highest during the point of your deepest sleep.

when you use seratogenic drugs you are fucking with this natural balance. so people who have really abused the drugs often cannot differentiate between dreams and real life. they often dream when they are awake. if you have high levels of seratonin, these dreams will be very vivid.

have you ever tried to sleep after rolling?

someone who cannot diferentiate between dreams and real life is crazy.

Jesus Bkissa, I had more respect for you before.

Try sleeping after anything that is an amphetamine. Try sleeping after 5 cokes.

People fuck with their natural balance of seratonin all the time. It decreases whenever you are stressed, have a cold (immunillogical response,) exercise excessively etc.

For example exercise releases both seratonin and dopamine, and thus lowers your natural balance/levels. Better look out and not exercise.

Have you ever had a dream that you thought was real at the time? are you crazy? Sure fucking with neurotransmitters may not be the best thing in the world. But living with depression isn't the greatest thing in the world either. I know quite a few people who are depressed and have low levels of seratonin and have never rolled? Hmmm how could that have happened.

You are one of those people who are conned by what is called the thrid variable priciple.

You hear that kids who watch more than 3 hours of TV are more violent than those who do not, and immediately believe that TV causes violence in kids. What you don’t realize is that kids whose parents "CARE" enough about them to monitor their television habits also are more involved in their lives and just in general better parents. It MOST LIKELY is the case that kids whose parents just don’t give a fuck about them, are more prone to violence.

Ill give you a better example. There is a direct correlation between ice cream sales at NY beaches and drowning. The more ice cream that is sold, the more drownings happen. This is the truth! Now lots of folks would conclude that ice cream causes drownings. But of course this is ludicrous. Its a third variable again. This time heat. The hotter it gets the more people buy ice cream and the more people go swimming.

now what’s my point? Many studies link depression and lower seratonin levels and drug use. What they fail to look at is the FACT that people with lower seratonin levels are more likely to do drugs. Why? because it is self medication. These same people are also much more likely to be obese and self medicate by binge eating which also raises neurotransmitter levels (dopamine in that case)

It is not necessarily the drugs that cause the lower levels!!! It is the type of people that like to do drugs. (BTW its still not that significant compared to the general population) Now it certainly does make sense (and is probable) that repeated ecstasy use will make the brain adjust to the lower levels and think it is normal. But you are talking about repeated and excessive use. Its like alcohol, its the long term excessive use that is really harmful.

Now I think it is great if you decide not to use drugs. But to come in blathering about generalities with no specifics is just down right fear mongering.

if you want to talk intelligently, cite something specific.

otherwise go get a job with DARE.

wow, you are either oblivious to the fact that drugs seriously harm you and are NOT safe, or you are in denial.

many people do not know the extent to which they are harming themselves but they will still admit that they are.

i have yet to meet a person that tells me he does drugs because he truely believes he is "self-medicating".

bkissa, you failed debate in HS didnt you? or are you still in HS and just went through your dare seminar?

Sure drugs can harm you, so can cars, red meat and women. But I dont plan on giving up any of them soon.

All of life is a risk. Sitting at home is safer than going golfing, but I dont critisize the golfers.

Now the statment drugs seriously harm you is pretty fucking broad. Be more specific or shut the hell up.

and of course no one thinks they are self medicating, they just think they feel better. Dont be so fucking stupid. Just because they dont realize it doesnt mean it isnt happening.

and Ill admit maybe you are right. Drugs certainly seemed to have a negative effect on your intelect, but then again the sample size is too small.

Guest jroo

i cant believe that you all ragged on her like that. quite being so defensive about your drug habits. she wasnt attacking anyone, and some of you took it very personal. do drugs feel good? yes they do, so they must be bad. does tofu taste good? no , so they must be good for you. end of discussion

just to clarify - i'm totaly pro-drugs

anybody who thinks drugs don't harm you in any way, is obviously in denial.

but like with everything in life, there is a trade-off - you put things in your body that perhaps shouldn't be there and will harm you in someway (some more, some less), but you know that beforehand and you also know that you'll feel good for a period of time. people that are willing to make that trade-off do drugs. the rest don't.

Originally posted by shroomy

Ill give you a better example. There is a direct correlation between ice cream sales at NY beaches and drowning. The more ice cream that is sold, the more drownings happen. This is the truth! Now lots of folks would conclude that ice cream causes drownings. But of course this is ludicrous. Its a third variable again. This time heat. The hotter it gets the more people buy ice cream and the more people go swimming.

The correlation here could also be that there's just more people at the beach, which means more ice cream sales as well as more drownings. Like when they say "Drug Deaths on the rise" it probably is just indicative of more people doing drugs ... i.e., if 1% die and the total number of those doing drugs goes up by 100,000, then 1000 more people die than died before the increase. But the percentage stays the same(!).

Oh, and I will admit that I self-medicate. And my therapist has OKed my self-medication as well.

Not that I think that everybody should do drugs or anything - in fact, quite the opposite. I'm just opposed to this continuing the flow of propaganda like this.

Meanwhile, it's OK to take prescription meds or olestra that makes you shit water and have erectile problems. go figure.

MOST of these replies were quite intelligent.

i have to agree w. epicurus and flyboy that everything in life is a trade-off. you have to decide what is more important to you. living a long, healthy, possibly mundane life. or one that is more celectial but but short. some people manage to dig themselves a nice little spot in the middle.

not to say that drugs will necessarily literally kill you, but in a figurative sense they certainly will. i've seen it happen to many people. and PLEASE do not compare cocaine/ecstacy/amphetamine/heroin..etc. to red meat or ice cream. i hope i am not the only one who finds that rediculous.

i started partying at clubs and abusing drugs right about the time i started posting on clubplanet. nine months later i have to sit home all the time because my health is so deteriorated i cant find the energy to see my friends. you don't know how much i wish i took it at a slower pace. and even though it was really the best time of my life (so far) i would take it back if i could w/o a thought.

im not trying to critisize anyone, though i have to be a little judgemental of someone who has less respect for people who see the error of their ways and stop using drugs, and this isn't a personal attack at anyone, so there is not need for anyone to think so.

i just wish all the young kids who start doing this to themselves were informed of exactly what they are getting into.

Originally posted by gambitrah

weeds not the best thing for u either..from the shit ive read not much better then cigs..a lot more tar..none of that crap like pesticides and shit but other things..lemme do some research and repost that stuff when i get it...

That why you only smoke the RAW from a 2 foot bong, 2 hits and your good.

How many hits in a cigg?

I can stay High all day and still inhaled less smoke that would come from me smoking a ciggerette.

Sensi Seed White Widow + Pyrax 2 foot glass = Happiness

of and XTC is the worste thing you can put in your body, I was the first to say Pure MDMA was no harmfull, that was at D-tour for 2 years 96-97, now I havent done E since 99 and still dont have the full happiness I was able to achieve b4 I started doing it.

XTC does fuck you up bad, Drugs do fuck you up bad, I seen some kids that I partied with at NASA and limelight Disco2000 back in the day and some of the people cant even talk now becuz of the drugs they inhaled at those parties.. Keep thinking its not gonna harm you and you'll be in for a treat!

Shroomy, you took the words right out of my mouth, as usual.

See...the thing about this whole post that bothers me is that every single person that posted left out the fact that the only way drugs can be even close to safe, which they are really not, is by using them in MODERATION. Yes kiddies...there is such a thing out there called moderation. It may take practice and some will power, but its the best thing for you in the world of drugs. It took me awhile to realize it, but drugs are also a lot more enjoyable when used in moderation. I used to roll at least once a week when I first started doing ecstacy, but I realized, relatively quickly, that this was just not the best way to do drugs. Now, I rarely do ecstacy and save it for special occasions. Now, when I do it, it is fun and enjoyable and an experience to remember. Same goes with every other drug I do... (except weed, that doesn't count).

Of course drugs are bad for you, but so is everything...right? They are even "Scientific Studies" about how excercise can be addictive and very dangerous for you in excess. So WHAT exactly IS healthy for you? Not a god damn thing, thats the problem. So why the hell shouldn't we use drugs? Do you really think you could stare at a lava lamp sober for 3 hours and have fun? I don't think so. Drugs make things more enjoyable. Some drugs do damage to your body and brain, but if you are a responsible drug user who does drugs in moderation, this can be combated with regular exercise, vitamins, proper hydration, and general well being. There are thousands of people out there that use drugs in moderation and live perfectly normal, happy, and HEALTHY lives. However though, people that go out every weekend and take their week's paycheck in pills are not going to be healthy people. On a similar note...do you think that someone who ate $150 of red meat in an 8 hour period would be healthy? What about someone who goes to the bar every Friday and Saturday and spends the same at the bar?

Face it people, the happiest people in the world are the ignorant, second in line are the responsible drug users. I'm not saying drugs are a good or bad, drugs are just drugs and they have been around for thousands of years. Drug ABUSE however, is bad and should be avoided. Enjoy your drugs kiddies, just not every day.