Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Act Your Age

Act Your Age

By Jeremy Fowler

Independent Florida Alligator - U. Florida

It's man vs. machine in halting underage drinking

Jun. 11, 2002 (U-WIRE)

GAINESVILLE, Fla. - Expensive scanners are a new tool for bars and clubs in the fight against fake IDs, but many owners prefer to rely on the judgment of their employees instead.

Rick Cain, owner of bar Fat Tuesday, said he will continue to depend on the intuition of his front-door security crew because his club's main concern is not altered IDs, but the borrowing of someone else's valid ID -- something the scanners can't detect.

"The biggest challenge we have is when someone uses a borrowed ID," Cain said. "Our staff is trained pretty well in knowing what to do in those situations. It's not completely foolproof, but we're doing the best we can."

Scanners are computerized devices that track the age and state on the drivers' licenses.

Wake Forest University is one of a growing number of schools mandating that organizations such as fraternities require scanner use at every organized party. The university bought handheld devices through a partnership with a private company that charged $1,000 per scanner.

Ryan Goldbloom, manager of The Swamp Restaurant across from campus -- another business shunning the scanners -- said his staff double-checks any questionable ID with another employee.

ABC Fine Wine and Spirits, however, takes the precaution of using a scanner in every store in Florida, even scanning people who are with the person purchasing alcohol.

"I think it's better to play it safe than to try and make a couple extra bucks and risk going to jail," said Terry Newman, store manager of the ABC on Southwest Archer Road.

ABC's scanners are built into the credit card system, and they can simply swipe the card to see validation.

Although the Gainesville Police Department does not sell or rent out scanners to any type of establishment, spokesman Keith Kameg said police advocate the use, even if it's not frequent.

"We realize not every business will get a scanner because they just don't care," Kameg said. "But it brings a threat to the table, and the young person might not think of trying to go in because of it."

To Karen Harmel, chairman of the UF campus American Civil Liberties Union, the scanners pose a different threat.

Harmel said she understands underage drinking is a problem, but the scanner solution could cause privacy concerns to citizens.

"My concern is what will happen to the ID after it is scanned," Harmel said. "There is a strong possibility that they could violate our privacy because [a business] could possibly store information and use it for another intention."

I think roxy has some kind of scanner thingy...right when you get in the door they take your ID again and put it through something...not sure if this is the same thing...who the fuck cares though...getting drinks at a club isn't exactly difficult for a minor.

Originally posted by zeeker

I think roxy has some kind of scanner thingy...right when you get in the door they take your ID again and put it through something...not sure if this is the same thing...who the fuck cares though...getting drinks at a club isn't exactly difficult for a minor.

yes but getting kicked out for not having a bracelet is quite easy too...;):tongue:

Originally posted by mssabina

yes but getting kicked out for not having a bracelet is quite easy too...;):tongue:

they kick people out for drinking without a bracelet...no way...if they do that sucks...they have more important things to be worrying about in a place like that.

exit used to have a validator scanner...they used to run mine through b/c they were convinced i altered it somehow...its not the one that picks up your address and blows it up, its different its a thing from the dmv on a computer and shows your bday and all your info...i look like i'm 13 and i'm almost 20