Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Att: Cooljunkie / DJ Competition

sobeton

congratulations to the finalist. no disrespect to cooljunkie, or the finalist. however the finalist styles don't, show a great deal of variety. most of the finalist spin according, to your descriptions tribal and progressive style. while I understand the winner will be featured at Space on saturday; which is house sessions with my boy Oscar G.. but the competition should have, been broader in spectrum. why not DNB, House/Breaks, Progressive/Techno/Trance, Hip Hop/R&B, etc. forget about the judges and make it a live spin off, in front of the people. or have a weekly battle, in front of the people, and narrow it down to until you come up with a set of four finalist. Then have a battle to determine the final winner. doing a mix on a cd,in which you can clean up, your mistakes. does not showcase you skills as a dj. taking your style right to the decks. will showcase not only your style , but your mixing and technical abilities. after all the winner will be mixing live, with little margin for error. again I say this not out of disrespect to cooljunkie, the judges, or the finalist. but rather with the hope, that next time around a more complex judging criteria will be used.

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by sobeton

congratulations to the finalist. no disrespect to cooljunkie, or the finalist. however the finalist styles don't, show a great deal of variety. most of the finalist spin according, to your descriptions tribal and progressive style. while I understand the winner will be featured at Space on saturday; which is house sessions with my boy Oscar G.. but the competition should have, been broader in spectrum. why not DNB, House/Breaks, Progressive/Techno/Trance, Hip Hop/R&B, etc. forget about the judges and make it a live spin off, in front of the people. or have a weekly battle, in front of the people, and narrow it down to until you come up with a set of four finalist. Then have a battle to determine the final winner. doing a mix on a cd,in which you can clean up, your mistakes. does not showcase you skills as a dj. taking your style right to the decks. will showcase not only your style , but your mixing and technical abilities. after all the winner will be mixing live, with little margin for error. again I say this not out of disrespect to cooljunkie, the judges, or the finalist. but rather with the hope, that next time around a more complex judging criteria will be used.

100 people entered, how can you have a weekly battle with that amount of people? 10 a week for 10 weeks? 20 a week for 5 weeks? To many people are criticizing cooljunkie over the styles. I think the competition was fair, there is no other way to do it, based on money, clubs, promoters etc..... Everyone knew what style is played at space on saturdays, and they should of entered a "space friendly mix" then once they win and get in the booth at space, then can play what ever they want...

just my 2 cents...

Originally posted by saleen351

100 people entered, how can you have a weekly battle with that amount of people? 10 a week for 10 weeks? 20 a week for 5 weeks? To many people are criticizing cooljunkie over the styles. I think the competition was fair, there is no other way to do it, based on money, clubs, promoters etc..... Everyone knew what style is played at space on saturdays, and they should of entered a "space friendly mix" then once they win and get in the booth at space, then can play what ever they want...

just my 2 cents...

I agree that it would be next to impossible to have 100+ djs battle it out live, it would take months! Its also true that most people knew that the judges were looking for a specific type of genre (which is proved in the results of the contest). So for all those who gave it their best shot at what they love to do...KEEP DOING IT! If its meant to be for you it will happen!

I dont think that ANY DJ should compromise their artistic preferences, and/or what they spin best just to satisfy a group of judges with preconcieved ideas on their perfect candidate...one who in the end will make their managers/promoters $ by spinning what is "popular" down here. Someone to fit into the Saturday night at Space.

I also am not blaming the cooljunkies, I am sure they and the pther judges picked who they think will eventually draw in a crowd and be successful down here, however I think that narrow tastes and club "politics" have played a big part.

Originally posted by saleen351

just my 2 cents...

the spin off is a suggestion, not a mandate. ;) it was called a" dj competition" not the " space dj competition". I in particular am not criticizing, but merely suggesting a way to improve the judging criteria. so all genres can have equal representation. no everyone is one dimensional, when it comes to other music genres.

In the initial rules, only three broad genres were allowed, house, trance, and breaks.

Genre played a factor in the decisions, sure, but also the technical quality of the mixing and production. The technical prowess of the finalists pushed them out as equally as their genre selection.

Keep in mind too, that the goal of .deckjunkie. is to represent the DJs, and get them consistent work. A drum n bass DJ, for example, is not going to get work in the Miami club scene right now, representing them may not be in the best interests of both parties...deckjunkie looks bad because the agency cannot get their client work, and the DJ ends up being disappointed.

the genres should have been broader. a mixed CD doesn't really show the technical prowess of a DJ. working the decks is a whole new ball game. a dj competition should give, an opportunity to dj's of any genre. cookie cutter styles don't really impress me.

why should one have to adapt ,there style to appease a miami club audience.. the rest the country and the world listen to more then house , trance, and breaks. if I were a dj ,I would want my music. to be exposed to the, broadest spectrum of people possible.

"the .cooljunkie. team are perfectly positioned to build a DJ agency which can turn today's freshest DJ's into tomorrow's international superstars. ":confused: