Clubplanet Nightlife Community

***Firewall Help???***

sunnyhost

Jroo....

You are lucky, the shroomy help line is open.

Hmmm.... who owes me a beer so far? Danny, Sunny, Sobeton, and at least a few others :)

Basically what you have to do is open the port that the router comunicates on or tell AIM to use a port that is allready open.

so...

First try to set the port # in AIM by choosing the "Edit Options" menu item which has a sub menu. In the submenu, choose the "Edit Preferences" menu item.

This should open up a window with a bunch of tabs. Click on the tab that says "Connections"

There you should be able to set the port #. Type in 41, since it is a port that is most likely allready open.

99% Chance that is all you have to do. (But you may have to stop and restart AIM)

if that doesn't work, you'll have to configure your router, wich is a little more difficult to tell you what to do since I don't know what type or router you have or if you have static or dynamic ip's etc....

so, let me know if that works.

Guest jroo

ok, i did that, after you told me , it didnt work. i changed the server port to 41, restarted aim, aim worked fine, still couldnt connect with anyone. was i supposed to change the proxy port number? i have a belkin gateway 4 port router. it says that my firewall is disabled on the status page, but its not the case. i can go to my special application page and open up ports for tcp and udp, i kinda know what it means, but that didnt work either, i tried to auto configure the aol port on that connections page and it put it on port 5190 direct connect still didnt work. thanks for your help , please keep the ideas coming.

thanks!!!!

Guest jroo

wwwwoooooooooo hhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! finally after like a week trying to figure this shit out, i finally got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks shroomy!! after going to that connection tab i found that the port number aim uses is 5190 not 5170. i tried 5170 because a friend of mine told me thats what he thought aim used, when i orginally tried to open the port on my router., but i did try to tell aim to use port 41, so im guessing that my router shut that one down. so anyway, i guessed at how to open port number 5190 and it worked!!!!!! i finally did something with my life!!! thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway....

Originally posted by shroomy

he he he... you really dont have to worry about it, but I'll try anyway.

a firewall is usually a computer or router that all internet traffic goes through. Its job is to protect a network from attacks by only allowing certain types of trafic but filtering out other types of traffic.

a router is just a type of specialized computer (though it doesnt look like one) that relays information around.

all computers and routers on a network (or the internet) have a ip address. It is really just a number that identifies them to the world.

There are some programs out there (like the one Pod posted) that try to get around the filtering that firewalls do, but they need to know the ip address of the firewall.

I showed how you could figure out the ip address of a firewall by opening a command promt aka DOS window. You can do this by clicking on the start button in the lower left corner of your taskbar (just like when you shutdown your PC) and click on the Run command. It will open up a window and let you type wich program you want to run. Type the word "command" then hit the OK button. This should open up a nice black window that will let you type in stuff. If you type tracert and then a internet site such as microsoft.com it will show you all the routers that your data has to go through to get to the microsoft site. The first one is usually your firewall.

You can allso type "ipconfig" to see what your own ip address is.

thank you for attending networking 101 :)

Wow! this is really an informative thread. I am glad that I open this thread. When do I take the test for my NET 101??? ;) I always like to learn new things especially anything that has to deal with learning new tricks about networking.