Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Mom arrested after kids get sunburned...

Mom charged with letting kids get sunburned

'There was no sunscreen or nothing on these children'

August 21, 2002 Posted: 9:56 AM EDT (1356 GMT)

STEUBENVILLE, Ohio (AP) -- A woman was arrested on felony charges for allegedly letting her three children get so severely sunburned that they looked like they "were dipped in red paint."

Eve Hibbits was arrested a week ago on three counts of child endangerment, said Sheriff Fred Abdalla.

She remained in jail Tuesday in lieu of $15,000 bail, and a preliminary hearing is set for Wednesday.

Abdalla said a deputy noticed her 2-year-old daughter and 10-month-old twin boys had severely sunburned faces at the Jefferson County Fair.

"She pushed her kids around the fairground all day last Tuesday, and it looked like those kids' faces were dipped in red paint," he said. "There was no sunscreen or nothing on these children."

The children had second-degree sunburns and were treated with cold compresses, said Trinity Medical Center West spokesman Keith Murdock.

Hibbits, 31, could face 15 years in jail if convicted of all three counts.

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press. All rights reserved

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

Mom charged with letting kids get sunburned

'There was no sunscreen or nothing on these children'

August 21, 2002 Posted: 9:56 AM EDT (1356 GMT)

STEUBENVILLE, Ohio (AP) -- A woman was arrested on felony charges for allegedly letting her three children get so severely sunburned that they looked like they "were dipped in red paint."

Eve Hibbits was arrested a week ago on three counts of child endangerment, said Sheriff Fred Abdalla.

She remained in jail Tuesday in lieu of $15,000 bail, and a preliminary hearing is set for Wednesday.

Abdalla said a deputy noticed her 2-year-old daughter and 10-month-old twin boys had severely sunburned faces at the Jefferson County Fair.

"She pushed her kids around the fairground all day last Tuesday, and it looked like those kids' faces were dipped in red paint," he said. "There was no sunscreen or nothing on these children."

The children had second-degree sunburns and were treated with cold compresses, said Trinity Medical Center West spokesman Keith Murdock.

Hibbits, 31, could face 15 years in jail if convicted of all three counts.

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press. All rights reserved

I can just see it now..................

defendant - "But your honor, I swear it was an accident!"

Judge Judy - "SHUT UP, I sentence you to 15 years in a maximum security facility for criminal sunburning!"

Next thing you know they'll arresting all those cute little girls that work at tanning salons.

Originally posted by cintron

they got what they deserved.

if you're white as a sheet, BRING SUNTAN LOTION.

not everybody can be black or hispanic.;)

Err... I think that was the mom's responsibility, don't you? ;)

I'm not sure how I feel about this... I think we've all been sunburned at one point or another. Still, parents have to be held accountable for their mistakes at some point... where do we draw the line?

I think I'd let this one slide with a warning or fine or something, but it's definitely a story that gets me thinking!

*strokes chin pensively...*

Originally posted by hoke

Err... I think that was the mom's responsibility, don't you? ;)

I'm not sure how I feel about this... I think we've all been sunburned at one point or another. Still, parents have to be held accountable for their mistakes at some point... where do we draw the line?

I think I'd let this one slide with a warning or fine or something, but it's definitely a story that gets me thinking!

*strokes chin pensively...*

it IS their fault, man. they were born cracka, instead of some other sun-loving heritage.

so they should carry their cracka-ass-cracka holster for their cracka-ass-cracka suntan lotion to put on their cracka-asses.

;) hehe