Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Too soon....

lollib

I dont know, sometimes I feel like people are in such a rush to get married and settle down. My friend has been with her bf for 10 months. So, yesterday she emails me a picture of the engagement ring that she wants. So, kidding I asked her if they set a date and she said October, 2003. Ok, I dont know, call me crazy but am I the only one who thinks that is too fast? I understand that they say you know when it's "the one" but they havent even been together a year. And to set a date before you get engaed, I dont know, maybe it's just me.

Originally posted by lollib

I dont know, sometimes I feel like people are in such a rush to get married and settle down. My friend has been with her bf for 10 months. So, yesterday she emails me a picture of the engagement ring that she wants. So, kidding I asked her if they set a date and she said October, 2003. Ok, I dont know, call me crazy but am I the only one who thinks that is too fast? I understand that they say you know when it's "the one" but they havent even been together a year. And to set a date before you get engaed, I dont know, maybe it's just me.

no - i personlay agree with u. i dont belive in divorce, and if this person will be my g/f, my wife, and my best friend it will take me more than 10 months to decide.....imagine that u will wake up next to this person for the rest of ur life ...how old is ur friend anyway?

She will be 25 in about 2 and 1/2 weeks and this is her first serious bf- she came from a very strict Italian family. I dont know, yes, I want to get married and think my bf now could be the one but damn, we will wait a few years before getting engaged.

A lot of my friends do this, some take it farther then others.

They never work out.

I agree...Im 21 and I recently started to notice that a lot of my friends and acquaintances have started to get engaged or are thinking about getting married in the near future, and it seems that most of them jump into these things too quickly and at too young an age. What about establishing the rest of your life/career first? I think if you are with "the one" it won't kill you to wait to marry them. I dont understand what the rush is either:rolleyes:

i agree... it is a lil soon.... i mean, give ur relationship a chance to grow, to mature and to fully understand/accept and learn everything u possibly can about one another before u plan to be together for the rest of ur lives. i think people that do this too soon dont value marriage for what it really is and dont even think about it possibly NOT working out. they get excited b/c they found someone they really connect with... and thats all well and good but still... give it a chance before u go jumping the gun...

i think they rush things b/c things are so "perfect" that they dont even wanna give each other the chance to fuck something up... and they think that marriage will bind the people together therefore nothing can go wrong after that b/c theyre "married." but those r the relationships that get the most fucked up... b/c u go thru all that... just to end up where u started from. with so much extra baggage and heartache that they could potentially give each other.

:idea:

I think some people tend to rush into marriage... To me thats just plain silly. I plan to spend lots of time with a person before I get married. I am a firm believer in checking all the angles, leaving no stone unturned, and being as thorough as Sherlock Holmes in investigating my would-be bride to be. I don't believe in divorce and would hope to spend a lifetime uncovering all the mysteries of my signifigant other. There is a certain period of time ( and its very long, and there are many tests that must be passed ). But sometimes people are so blindly in love that all those standards go right out the window. Im stick to my guns though when the day comes, if it ever will :D!

Hence the high divorce rate, 1 in 2 couples. Times have changed!

Originally posted by linabina

i agree... it is a lil soon.... i mean, give ur relationship a chance to grow, to mature and to fully understand/accept and learn everything u possibly can about one another before u plan to be together for the rest of ur lives. i think people that do this too soon dont value marriage for what it really is and dont even think about it possibly NOT working out. they get excited b/c they found someone they really connect with... and thats all well and good but still... give it a chance before u go jumping the gun...

i think they rush things b/c things are so "perfect" that they dont even wanna give each other the chance to fuck something up... and they think that marriage will bind the people together therefore nothing can go wrong after that b/c theyre "married." but those r the relationships that get the most fucked up... b/c u go thru all that... just to end up where u started from. with so much extra baggage and heartache that they could potentially give each other.

:idea:

I totally agree... 10 months is def too soon.. things will be perfect an then something will go wrong and it could be over in an instant.. its easier to break up than get a divorce.. do they live with eachother yet? Thats the real challenge...

Guest gabo

well I think it is crazy to get married young and when peopole get married after only several months together. but on another note my parents got engaged only after 3 months! they are still together and hug and kiss every day... this has been going on for about 35 years!

so I guess it can work out even if it rare