bigpoppanils

Nelson Mandela calls US "a threat to world peace"

Mandela: U.S. Threat to World Peace

By RAVI NESSMAN

Associated Press Writer

462 words

Sep 12, 2002

AP Online

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (AP) - Former South African President Nelson Mandela has called the United States "a threat to world peace" and said its belligerent policy toward Iraq was an obvious effort to appease the oil and arms industry, Newsweek magazine reported.

Any move against Iraq must be made by the United Nations, not by a single government, Mandela said in an interview with the weekly. The interview was posted on Newsweek's Web site this week.

Mandela's comments earlier this week came as Bush prepared his Thursday speech at the United Nations, where the president said the world body risks becoming irrelevant if it takes no action against Iraq.

Bush wants to overthrow Saddam Hussein for his refusal to fulfill Iraq's post-Gulf War promises to destroy weapons of mass destruction.

Mandela, a Nobel Peace Prize winner, took issue with U.S. claims.

"Neither Bush nor (British Prime Minister) Tony Blair has provided any evidence that such weapons exist. But what we know is that Israel has weapons of mass destruction. Nobody talks about that," he said.

"Why should there be one standard for one country, especially because it is black, and another one for another country, Israel, that is white?" he said.

Mandela and the South African government have good relations with the Iraqi regime. Before meeting with Iraqi Deputy Prime Minister Tariq Aziz on the sidelines of the World Summit in Johannesburg last week, Mandela told reporters he was "appalled" by U.S. threats against Iraq.

In the Newsweek interview, Mandela criticized more than two decades of U.S. foreign policy, including its support for the shah of Iran, mistakes it made during the Soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan and its willingness to ignore the United Nations.

"If you look at those matters, you will come to the conclusion that the attitude of the United States of America is a threat to world peace. Because what (America) is saying is that if you are afraid of a veto in the Security Council, you can go outside and take action and violate the sovereignty of other countries," he said. "That is the message they are sending to the world. That must be condemned in the strongest terms.

U.S. policy toward Iraq "is motivated by George W. Bush's desire to please the arms and oil industries in the United States of America," he said.

Mandela also criticized Bush's advisers, including Vice President Dick Cheney and Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, calling them "dinosaurs" who are misleading the president.

"Quite clearly we are dealing with an arch-conservative in Dick Cheney," he said.

Only Secretary of State Colin Powell was giving Bush good advice, he said.

"(Powell) knows the disastrous effect of international tension and war, when innocent people are going to die, young men are going to die."

ASP0225522601

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2002 Dow Jones Reuters Business Interactive, LLC. Trading as Factiva.

:jawdrop:

he used to be head of the African National Congress (ANC) which also had a militant wing, can't remember the name of it.

He was in prison for 27 years for fighting forces that undermined the African majority in South Africa.

De Kirk pushed the government to free him as well as Walter Sisulu and others.

Mandela is an amazing man. His words carry a lot of weight and this article makes sense.

I've been reading topics on this forum for some time now, but this is my first post here. Mandela makes some relevent points in his statement. I don't think thsi country should go off all attacking anyone without proper cause. I personally think Saddam is a threat, but we do not have concrete evidence that he is building weapons of mass destruction. The UN should give him an ultimadium. Let the inspectors back with unlimited access or face the consiquences. Give him one more bite at the apple. As far as Mandela's remarks about this countries only interest being oil and arms, I have to disagree with him. Iraq is a threat and I'm not going to sit here and spew out conspiracy theories about Iraq being involved with 9/11. He is perfectly capable of developing biological, chemical, or even maybe nuclear weapons. I know he doesn't have the long-range capabilities to attack us directly, but what is to stop him from passing these weapons to terrorist factions who would. Also his point about Isreal having weapons of mass destruction is plain ass stupid. I highly doubt that Isreal would use such weapons or even sell them to a terrorist group. Saddam needs to be dealt with, but we shouldn't go shooting our guns off like some cowboys.

Originally posted by sassa

he used to be head of the African National Congress (ANC) which also had a militant wing, can't remember the name of it.

He was in prison for 27 years for fighting forces that undermined the African majority in South Africa.

De Kirk pushed the government to free him as well as Walter Sisulu and others.

Mandela is an amazing man. His words carry a lot of weight and this article makes sense.

Interesting .....As I understood it, Mandela was actually a Communist, and it was strictly US Govt pressure that forced his release...

I admit though, I have very limited knowledge on Mandela- just saying what I heard...

BTW...the article does not make sense...for an "amazing man" as you state, his statements are very misguided......and his assertions about race playing into this is absurd and completely irresponsible

Originally posted by igloo

Interesting .....As I understood it, Mandela was actually a Communist, and it was strictly US Govt pressure that forced his release...

I admit though, I have very limited knowledge on Mandela- just saying what I heard...

BTW...the article does not make sense...for an "amazing man" as you state, his statements are very misguided......and his assertions about race playing into this is absurd and completely irresponsible

His party had connections to the Communist party, but he was not a communist.

wow, i'm surprised. for once, you write a post that doesn't have any insults...