Jump to content
Clubplanet Nightlife Community
Sign in to follow this  
pluryou

Feeling dizzy

Recommended Posts

All night long and in to the morning everytime I woke up I felt dizzy. :( My bf said yesterday he felt the samke thing. Can it be something leaking in the apt or something? Maybe gas? (my pilot lights go out sometime..they are on now). Anyone have any ideas? Thanx.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it might be worth testing for carbon monoxide:

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless and toxic gas produced as a by-product of combustion. Any fuel burning appliance, vehicle, tool or other device has the potential to produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide gas. Examples of carbon monoxide producing devices commonly in use around the home include:

Fuel fired furnaces (non-electric)

Gas water heaters

Fireplaces and woodstoves

Gas stoves

Gas dryers

Charcoal grills

Lawnmowers, snowblowers and other yard equipment

Automobiles

The Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) reports that approximately 200 people per year are killed by accidental CO poisoning with an additional 5000 people injured. These deaths and injuries are typically caused by improperly used or malfunctioning equipment aggravated by improvements in building construction which limit the amount of fresh air flowing in to homes and other structures.

While regular maintenance and inspection of gas burning equipment in the home can minimize the potential for exposure to CO gas, the possibility for some type of sudden failure resulting in a potentially life threatening build up of gas always exists.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are the medical effects of carbon monoxide and how do I recognize them?

Carbon monoxide inhibits the blood's ability to carry oxygen to body tissues including vital organs such as the heart and brain. When CO is inhaled, it combines with the oxygen carrying hemoglobin of the blood to form carboxyhemoglobin. Once combined with the hemoglobin, that hemoglobin is no longer available for transporting oxygen. How quickly the carboxyhemoglobin builds up is a factor of the concentration of the gas being inhaled (measured in parts per million or PPM) and the duration of the exposure. Compounding the effects of the exposure is the long half-life of carboxyhemoglobin in the blood. Half-life is a measure of how quickly levels return to normal. The half-life of carboxyhemoglobin is approximately 5 hours. This means that for a given exposure level, it will take about 5 hours for the level of carboxyhemoglobin in the blood to drop to half its current level after the exposure is terminated.

The following table describes the symptoms associated with a given concentration of COHb:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

% COHb Symptoms and Medical Consequences

10% No symptoms. Heavy smokers can have as much as 9% COHb.

15% Mild headache.

25% Nausea and serious headache. Fairly quick recovery after treatment with oxygen and/or fresh air.

30% Symptoms intensify. Potential for long term effects

especially in the case of infants, children, the elderly,

victims of heart disease and pregnant women.

45% Unconsciousness.

50%+ Death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

uh...cookie...what do YOU do for a living?

that was a very thorough report.

plury...are you eating well? i often find that if i'm not taking good care of myself - especially not eating properly - i feel shitty (ie: dizzy)

but yeah-it very well could be CO2...open up some windows for a few days and see if you feel any better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by djbuster

uh...cookie...what do YOU do for a living?

that was a very thorough report.

:laugh: I work at a job that gives me lots of time to master the art of internet searching. . .I find all that stuff on GOOGLE! :whip2:

pluryou. . I also thought, have you changed your caffiene habits lately? I tend to get headaches on the weekends when I don't have my morning coffee.. . .also, I used to get headaches in the morning and then got an air filter. Now it never happens!

There are lots of potential causes, you might just want to go to the doctor and he or she will probably reiterate a lot of the stuff that's being mentioned here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×