Clubplanet Nightlife Community

buzz has shut down-- a more positive response.

wideskies

okay, i "grew up" to being the electronic music lover and dancer extraordinaire at BUzz, and i am really saddened that YET AGAIN it has been shut down.

but in light of all the negativity, i thought i'd add something more hopeful about the situation:

perhaps the shutdown, like Twilo's in NYC, will be a really good thing for all the OTHER electronic music nightlife in DC. .. all the other DJ collectives and promoters and 'homegrown' efforts out there that may have been passed over due to the fact that there was always the Big Party on Fridays at Nation. perhaps Buzzlife's efforts will continue, but resulting in a more wide, dispersed range of parties.

we'll see. *shakes head*

I'm gald someone can see it in a lighter view. I guess I'm not as upset as other's cause I couldn't go anyways. Don't get me wrong I'm mad but most of my anger was vented when they banded all military. :( I miss Buzz. This was my bf b-day week and we were supposed to go both nights.

Nightlife is a cyclical phenomenon. Trends rise and fall, clubs grow, explode into brilliant points of light that leave everyone trembling with excitement, then cave back in on themselves into nothingness.

Fear not -- the amount of energy in the universe is constant, and nobody knows better how to harness it than today's youth.

There will be another party, and it will feed our appetites like nothing before it!

while we can draw comparisons between the shut down of Buzz and Twilo the problem is that when Twilo shut down, there were still other promoters and venues (albeit in some cases cheesey) that could stll pull in the big name dj's. There isnt any promoter or venue aside from Buzz that could do that presently besides Glow.

It takes time to build relationships with promotional agencies and there isnt any in the Dc area besides Buzz. While yes, there will be a chance to see local homegrown talent, the fact emains that there is no way in hell that we will get to see the big name dj's around DC unless Buzz or Nation ventures to a new nearby setting and my guess would be Baltimore.

Originally posted by hotcheme

we should've seen it coming when they did that.

Actually, many of us did, but no one thought it would happen so soon.

I agree with wideskies on this and said somehting similar on the Buzz board. It suxs that Buzz is done, but the scene is not dead. Much like after Twilo closed, it'll all move into smaller clubs and venues. We have great events all over DC every week with great local dj talent. Now's the time to start checking these parties out and supporting that local talent.

Originally posted by tinybutterfli

Vic - Nation and Buzz are separate. Nation will still be there. The other parties and rock shows are not affected by this.

Velvet anyone? :D

yeah, i know Buzz and Nation are separate. Since the owners of Nation also own Trust, they could move Buzz there for the time being. I mean they would make less $$$ then they did at Nation, but more than the cheesey hip-hop night they currently hold.

I guess the military doesnt care if their recruits go out and have a night out with the boys....

I hear you, Wide. That's a good angle. I do think it'd be nice for the smaller talent to get a fair break. I mean, I don't have to see 3 Dj's with CD's at Tower every Friday night.

However, I like going where I know there's gonna be 2000 people, because there's guaranteed to be a large enough number of people having a good time. When you go to a smaller club, say 300 people, there's too great of a chance that everybody's gonna be drinking too much or being a wallflower.

Originally posted by crank47

Actually, many of us did, but no one thought it would happen so soon.

I agree with wideskies on this and said somehting similar on the Buzz board. It suxs that Buzz is done, but the scene is not dead. Much like after Twilo closed, it'll all move into smaller clubs and venues. We have great events all over DC every week with great local dj talent. Now's the time to start checking these parties out and supporting that local talent.

yeah i hear ya. though twilo's absence is still a scar in new york, i would say we do have a vibrant scene right now. lots of good talent and some decent parties around the city if you know where to look. but it is nice to have a weekly home and not follow various talent to different venues all the time.

in all reality, i never felt truly comfortable in huge clubs but it is so sad to see something so massively awesome get killed.

The other problem is that most things close early. Buzz and Velvet going to 6 in the morning is the exception. Obviously I think it's good for people to get out and check out some local DJs, but DC isn't New York and I don't think that the night life here is as vibrant whereas in New York I think people were just overlooking what was already there because Twilo Fridays and Saturday nights overshadowed it. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Originally posted by hoke

Nightlife is a cyclical phenomenon. Trends rise and fall, clubs grow, explode into brilliant points of light that leave everyone trembling with excitement, then cave back in on themselves into nothingness.

Fear not -- the amount of energy in the universe is constant, and nobody knows better how to harness it than today's youth.

There will be another party, and it will feed our appetites like nothing before it!

Preach it bruva!

Originally posted by hoke

and then they will close that one down

Originally posted by vicman

and then they will close that one down

Yeah, no shit. Nothing's opened in NYC yet to replace Twilo. The scene up there may still be alive and kicking, but it sucks when your only options to hear good DJ's is a choice of small venues where you're guaranteed to be jam-packed in like sardines with no ventilation.

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

Yeah, no shit. Nothing's opened in NYC yet to replace Twilo. The scene up there may still be alive and kicking, but it sucks when your only options to hear good DJ's is a choice of small venues where you're guaranteed to be jam-packed in like sardines with no ventilation.

And most of those good parties happen on weekdays.

Guest jroo
Originally posted by vicman

while we can draw comparisons between the shut down of Buzz and Twilo the problem is that when Twilo shut down, there were still other promoters and venues (albeit in some cases cheesey) that could stll pull in the big name dj's. There isnt any promoter or venue aside from Buzz that could do that presently besides Glow.

what about polly ester's ???

:laugh: j/k