Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Did you hear about this? Fans attack coach...

phatman

By NANCY ARMOUR

AP Sports Writer

September 19, 2002

CHICAGO (AP) -- Kansas City first-base coach Tom Gamboa was attacked by two bare-chested fans in the ninth inning Thursday night, making the Royals' 2-1 victory over the Chicago White Sox an afterthought. ADVERTISEMENT

Gamboa had a large cut on his forehead and was holding a towel to his face, but he walked off the field under his own power to a standing ovation from the crowd.

A folded-up pocket knife was found at the scene, Royals spokesman Aaron Babock said.

``I had my hands on my hips and I was looking at the next batter. I felt like a football team had hit me from behind. Next thing I knew, I'm on the ground trying to defend myself,'' Gamboa said.

Gamboa said he was OK.

``I'm just stiff and sore,'' he said. ``I heard one of the guys say there was a knife. I was stunned, so I was checking to see if I was stabbed and didn't realize it,'' he said.

The fans, whose names were not immediately available, were taken off the field in handcuffs.

Gamboa is in his second season on the Royals' staff. He was the crosstown Chicago Cubs' third-base coach in 1998-99.

Kansas City was on its way to just its fourth win in 17 games when the game turned ugly. With a runner on second in the top of the ninth, Michael Tucker had just grounded out to White Sox pitcher Mike Porzio for the first out.

Suddenly, the two young, male fans ran onto the field, tackled Gamboa and began punching him. The entire Royals dugout cleared and their bullpen rushed in from right field to help Gamboa.

Several players jumped on the fans and punches were exchanged, but it wasn't clear which players were throwing them. The White Sox players who were on the field ran over to see what was happening, turning first base into a wild scene.

Security came on the field and tried to break it up, but it was several minutes before order was restored. The small crowd at Comiskey Park was on its feet the whole time, watching in stunned silence.

Security finally pulled the fans out of the melee, taking them off the field. A White Sox trainer attended to Gamboa, who had a large cut on his forehead.

Gamboa went to the dugout, sitting on the bench as he got more treatment. Lamar Johnson replaced him in the coaching box.

The game finally resumed after about a 10-minute delay.

Before the brawl, Carlos Beltran hit a two-run homer for the Royals. Paul Byrd became the first Royals pitcher to win 17 games since Kevin Appier won 18 in 1993.

Byrd (17-11) scattered six hits over 7 1-3 innings. Roberto Hernandez pitched the ninth for his 26th save.

D'Angelo Jimenez spoiled Byrd's bid for a shutout with a run-scoring triple in the seventh. But he was stranded at third, and the White Sox had a runner in scoring position only one other time.

Rocky Biddle, trying to win a spot in next season's starting rotation, had a decent outing for the White Sox. He allowed two runs and four hits in six innings, striking out three while walking two.

He worked himself out of two early jams with a man on third. But Biddle (2-4) got into more trouble in sixth inning, and he couldn't get out of that one.

Carlos Febles led off the inning with a ground-rule double, advancing to third on Chuck Knoblauch's groundout. That brought up Beltran, who sent Biddle's 0-1 pitch sailing into the bullpen for his 26th homer.

Sooo that is what I saw on the tv last night..... I wasn't really paying attention, but I saw it and was like "what the f*ck is that?!?".....

I missed SportsCenter this morning due to my drunkeness last night so I didn't get the scoop...

They just played the clip on the radio and the announcer said "those must be the 2 dumbest people in America":laugh: as they got mobbed by the entire team....

Lola:D