Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Youth Mob Beats Man to Death

dnice35

Youth Mob Beats Man to Death

AP

Charlie Young Jr. was nearly beaten to death by a mob of nearly 20 youths.

Wednesday, October 02, 2002

MILWAUKEE — The mob of children that beat Charlie Young Jr. to death with sticks, bats and shovels, went so far as to break windows and swarm into a house to prevent him from scrambling to safety, said one man who tried to pull him away from the mob.

Anthony Brown's dogs started barking late Sunday night at a commotion outside, he said Tuesday in an interview with The Associated Press. When he went to his living room to investigate, he saw Young jump a fence across the alley and scramble up to his porch.

A mob of 16 children was beating Young with rakes, milk crates and boards, after he punched one of them for throwing an egg at him. Police said 10 of the assailants, ages 10 to 18, are in custody. They are seeking six more.

Young fought his way inside Brown's house, but the children blocked the door and broke windows so they could rush into the living room and prevent Brown from locking Young safely inside.

"They were pounding on him and hollering, saying 'Hey, let me use that,"' Brown said. "It was like a game to them."

The group continued to pummel Young until police responded to a neighbor's 911 call. Young, 36, was admitted in critical condition with severe brain injuries Sunday night and declared dead late Tuesday afternoon, Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital spokesman Mark McLaughlin said.

Four of the attackers -- three 13-year-olds and a 15-year-old -- appeared in court Tuesday evening, where a court commissioner ordered them held in a detention facility until they are charged.

AP

Monday: Blood remains splattered on the front porch of the home where Young was beaten.

Milwaukee District Attorney E. Michael McCann said Tuesday he didn't know when those in custody would be charged but plans to wait for Young's autopsy report, which may be released Wednesday afternoon.

McCann has until Thursday to file charges against the 18-year-old and those in court Tuesday, he said. His office will pursue homicide charges, but McCann would not say if the children would be charged as adults or juveniles.

Police said the children were not part of an organized gang, nor did they know Young.

Despite the severity of the beating, which left blood spattered on the ceiling of Brown's porch, many residents of the neighborhood, including Brown, don't think the children were trying to kill Young.

"Each of them could have gone and gotten a pistol in no time if they wanted to kill him," said Keith Martin, who lives two blocks from the scene. "Murder was not on their mind."

Although neighbors said the children should be harshly punished, they agreed that they probably did not mean to beat Young so badly and said they weren't any more worried about living in their neighborhood than usual.

People milled around the streets Tuesday, stopping to talk to friends on porches and point at the television news vans that lined the streets.

AP

Tuesday: This is the home on 21st Lane in Milwaukee where Charlie Young Jr., was attacked.

"It ain't nothing new," said William Kennedy, who was visiting friends in the neighborhood and lives a few blocks away from where the beating happened. "I just watch the news at night to make sure it ain't anyone from my family."

Residents say a lack of police protection has contributed to the neighborhood's deterioration. Martin said he has not seen a beat cop walking in the neighborhood in three years.

Police only patrol the neighborhood after a high-profile crimes such as Sunday's to try to prove they are involved in the area, he said.

But Milwaukee Police Chief Arthur Jones said at a news conference Tuesday that police frequently patrol the area.

"That's a neighborhood where we concentrated a large number of our enforcement efforts," Jones said.

Erinn P`yne, who witnessed the beating, said violence is so common in the area that she didn't pay much attention to it and just walked by. She thought the children, who she said regularly ditch school and vandalize the neighborhood, were beating an animal.

Payne, 22, has lived around the corner from where the beating happened her whole life.

"I'm not going to say you get used to it, but you deal with it and you have to just move on," Payne said.

Payne blames the incident on the parents who let their children run around at 11 p.m. on Sunday and said she's glad police have caught most of them.

Still, she'd like to move out of the area as soon as she gets the chance.

"Just to come home to trouble every night gets kind of tiresome," Payne

They should try these pieces of shit as adults and give them life or even the death sentence!

Originally posted by t0nythelover

kinda sux that it takes something like this to get us to agree.

Indeed it does, political views are one thing. But this is something Im sure most of us would agree on when I say give them life in jail. I cant believe that they drug the guy out after trying to get away from these little satans. My question is where the fuck are the parents of these cokroaches? If you ask me the parents should be partially to blame.

Yeah, this shit sucks! I say try all these fuckas as adults...give them life in prison (without the possibility of parole)...death sentence would be too easy! People like these should be kept off the streets...true menace to society!

And also the assholes in MD who've shot dead 5 ppl at random. The shitty part is I LIVE IN SILVER SPRING!!! Walking home from the metro last night was not fun...I kept looking at this garage next to my apt building, wondering if there was some wacko aiming his fuckin high power rifle at me!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by raver_mania

Yeah, this shit sucks! I say try all these fuckas as adults...give them life in prison (without the possibility of parole)...death sentence would be too easy! People like these should be kept off the streets...true menace to society!

And also the assholes in MD who've shot dead 5 ppl at random. The shitty part is I LIVE IN SILVER SPRING!!! Walking home from the metro last night was not fun...I kept looking at this garage next to my apt building, wondering if there was some wacko aiming his fuckin high power rifle at me!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

have they caught that SOB yet?

Originally posted by t0nythelover

kinda sux that it takes something like this to get us to agree.

Ahh, the common enemy. Oddly enough, I think something like this is often necessary to bring about aggrement and compromise between two groups in conflict (*ahem*i*wonder*who*).

It's nice to know that it works on a smaller scale between you three. ;)

Originally posted by dnice35

have they caught that SOB yet?

no, not yet... I wonder how they're gonna catch him/them though...they have almost nothing to go off.

They might lie low, then start up again...oh well, can't live life in fear. Wonder if this is a terrorist thing?

Originally posted by dnice35

Indeed it does, political views are one thing. But this is something Im sure most of us would agree on when I say give them life in jail. I cant believe that they drug the guy out after trying to get away from these little satans. My question is where the fuck are the parents of these cokroaches? If you ask me the parents should be partially to blame.

i would have to agree and ask the same thing: what are parents teaching their children nowadays? does no one instill values, morals, and general respect for people in their children anymore?