Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Philip Morris ordered by jury to pay $28 billion

Philip Morris Must Pay Smoker $28 Billion, California Jury Says

By Joyzelle Davis

Los Angeles, Oct. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Philip Morris Cos., the world's largest tobacco company, must pay $28 billion as punishment for causing the lung cancer of a California woman, a state jury said.

The Los Angeles Superior Court award comes a week after the jury ordered Philip Morris to pay Betty Bullock $850,000 as compensation for her illness. The verdict was the fourth consecutive trial defeat for the company in California since 1998.

Bullock had claimed Philip Morris was liable because it misrepresented the dangers of smoking. Lawyers for the company told the jury that the conduct she complained of already had been accounted for by a $246 billion settlement between the industry and the states.

taken from bloomberg.com

---------------------------------------------

although the award will most definitely be reduced by a judge....it does send a message to the industry

:)

850 thousand is nothing. consider that a good portion of it will be taxed. then she has medical expensed for the rest of her life, and if she cant work cuz of her illness shes even more screwed. say she has cancer and needs a home nurse year round for life, that amount of money will run out after 5 years max. id rather have my lungs working than any amount of money.

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

The Los Angeles Superior Court award comes a week after the jury ordered Philip Morris to pay Betty Bullock $850,000 as compensation for her illness. The verdict was the fourth consecutive trial defeat for the company in California since 1998.

:)

That is such bullshit. I hate ppl like this.......:mad:

Originally posted by sugar_n_spice

B/c how are u going to turn around and sue b/c you got sick from smoking, when you knew it was bad for you in the first place?

I agree with you 100%, I tought you were gonna blame the tabaco companies or something.

I mean wtf was she thinking? that inhailing smoke into your lungs was good for you. I mean HELLOOOO it dont take a genious to figure that one out! Anyways Its not like anyone forced her to smoke and shit.

Hmmm maybe I should take this as an example though, I could sue Budweiser for damage to my liver......

Hell.................people are suing MacDonalds cause the food is making them fat.

You know I've been thinking, I want to sue Hydroxycut cause it made me thin.............I wanna be a fat slob, but I took these pills and they made me lean and trim.............SHOW ME THE MONEY.

Originally posted by ou812

Hell.................people are suing MacDonalds cause the food is making them fat.

You know I've been thinking, I want to sue Hydroxycut cause it made me thin.............I wanna be a fat slob, but I took these pills and they made me lean and trim.............SHOW ME THE MONEY.

Go fer it, dude. Im sure there'll be a lawyer willing to take up your cause :D