Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Tunnel Scot Project Review

Just got home from tunnel. What a great night. I have been pretty disappointed lately from my recent club experiences but this night definitely made up for it.

We got there a little before 1 am. I was very skeptical, since there was a lot of talk about Scot Project not showing up. Seeing a cover of $35 wasn't helpful either. But my mood changed the moment I got in. Richie Neale (sp?) was spinning nice breakbeats. I love breakbeats and he was doing a great job. It's the first time I heard about him, I'm not sure if he's a resident in tunnel, cause he also did a closing set later on. Got to see awesome breakdance and popping battles too. The vibe was great. There was a lot of people on the main dance floor. I've been to tunnel a several times in the past 5-6 months and this was the most people I've seen there. But not packed, plenty of room to dance.

Kay Cee was in the DJ booth and I got a chance to talk to him right before he came on. I love his productions, and he's one of the nicest guys I've met. Kay Cee - Millenium String is one of my favorite tracks. We talked a bit about his tracks, and what he was going to play. When I asked if he was going to play Millenium String he said he's thinking about closing the set with it. What can I say, I was happy He came on sometimes between 1:30-2:00. AWESOME set that fit perfectly after Neale's breakbeats. Quality trance, upbeat, pumping, melodic, but not cheesy, just like most of his productions. I was in heaven.

Keoki was next. I have a lot positives to say about tonight. Keoki's set though IMO didn't fit WHATSOEVER to the rest of the line-up. He has a distinct style of his own, but his programming sucked. He completely killed the vibe that Kay Cee had built. Slowed the music wayyyy down, from about 145 bpms to probably around 125 bpms, the crowd was DEAD during his set. Even in the afterhours, way at the end, there was more energy on the floor. I was chilling mostly upstairs during his set. I talked to Kay Cee again a little more, he wasn't happy about the quality of the sound. And I definitely agree, that set deserved a better sound system. And they didn't let him finish his set, cause it was time for Keoki to go on. He was mad about it. So was I, cause I didn't get to hear my Millenium Strings.

And then, at around 4:00 Scot Project came on. WOW, what can I say... holy shit! And I was thinking Kay Cee was good. Scot Project blew everyone away. Played a lot of his own productions, and many new tracks too. But all of it in his hard, wicked style. I wouldn't change a single track in his set. I'm so impressed. So much energy. He played for about 2 hours, I didn't stop for a single second. Definitely one of the best sets I have EVER heard. Hard trance with some techno. He's now way out there on the top of my list. I'd need to hear a longer set from him to make a better judgement. But in one word - AMAZING... I'm so happy I was there. He definitely lived up and exceeded my expectations. If anyone was there, you'd probably notice me, I was dancing my ass off right in front of the DJ booth the whole time.

Then the biggest surprise of the night. I was thinking about going home when Richie Neale (sp?) came on again after Scot Project. My legs were almost dead already. But his set was sooooo surprisingly good! Sometimes it happens when you want to go home but the songs are so good that you can't leave and want to see what the next one is going to be. He kept the same Scot Project style. Hard beats, but right when you're about to get bored with it, he'd kick in a nice, catchy melody or rich synth lines to keep you on your toes. Excellent programming. Fit perfectly with the previous sets. He played tracks like Radium - Universe of Dreams, some unknown to me remix of Beam vs. Syrus - Take This Sound, a bunch of other new tracks. And he was quickly changing tracks, so it never got boring. Great job. I'd definitely go see him again. Kept me dancing all the time, and I thought I was tired after the Scot Project set...

At about 6:30 Neale finished his set and someone else came on, I don't know who it was, but nothing impressive. I left slightly before 7, it was clearing up already.

That's about it. Great night. Definitely one of the memorable experiences of 2001. I'm sure those who were there will agree with me.... Time to sleep now.

------------------

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

-Albert Einstein

W/Star's list it was $25.I wasn't too impressed w/Kaycee, he was dropping old tunes. Born Slippy, Taiko-Silence, Das Glockenspiel & of course his biggest hit Escape. I was just glad that he didn't play his new remix of System F- Soul on Soul. Horrible.

Keoki came out w/some progressive trance, he definately brought it down a couple of notches. We decided to wander around. We were looking for Reid Speed all night! Where was she?

At 3:45 I spotted Johnny Vicious & Scot Project at the bar. I went over, re-introduced myself to Johnny & told Scot that he's awesome. I was about to ask JV when he was playing again at Factory, but I got interrupted & they both went into the booth. Scot Project tore it up. It was a bass head's wet dream. At 1 point, I was like "fuck PVD".

Here's what I trainspotted:

his remix of Derb- Derb

Overdrive

Tuneboy- Kick some bass ? (Can anyone confirm)

Modem

Schwarze Puppen- Schwarze Puppen

Joy Kitikonti- Joy Energizer

His new remix of Incoming- Sick! (I thought it was cheesy When I listened to it at Satellite) the place exploded!

Mauro Picotto- Bug ----techno track

"We are gonna start here w/a kick & Bass"- SICK! Can Anyone id that?

He had a great connection w/the crowd. He was jumping up & down, smiling in the booth. There were a lot of break downs but he did that so we can catch our breath. I haven't danced like THAT since Picotto at Twilo 12/15/00. After he finished his last record, I went ovah to the booth, jumped up & told him "U Destroyed us! U rule!". Then we bounced...my feet were killing me! What a friggin work out...just what I needed.

He's coming back AUG 17th TO Limelight!

cwm4.gif

------------------

Good Girls go to Heaven, Bad Girls go to Amsterdam!

AIM: Trancegoddess21

[This message has been edited by twilogoddess (edited 07-14-2001).]

Well my night was certainly different from dzadza's. Got to Tunnel around 1, would've went in sooner but didn't thanks to someone *ahem* Derek. I'm glad I didn't tho because: 1)I got to buy tickets for $25 off some kids outside and 2)I don't know how packed Tunnel usually gets on Fridays since I haven't been there in over a year but when I got there, the place was practically empty. Every side room was deserted and what little crowd there was, was crowded around the breaking competition (which WAS nice but it took about half hour to start it?)

I didn't know any of the other DJs because I just went to hear Scot Project and Keoki but I was disappointed with their track selection. Richie Neale mostly spun breakbeats which were nice for the competitions but he should've switched on to something else afterwards, I personally wasn't feeling his set at all.

Once Kay Cee went on, the vibe became better as the beats picked up speed and more people started coming in. However, compared to other clubs this was the least people I've ever seen. He played trancy stuff, nothing too hard, but enough to keep the crowd going I guess.

As for Keoki...I guess I expected more since I've heard so much about him. I agree with dzadza, his set was completely different, but not too great...mediocre track selection. I guess it just wasn't my crowd...mostly ravers and they all seemed to enjoy the music a lot.

But the main reason I went is to hear Scot Project and he didn't let me down. EASILY one of the best DJs I've heard...I was on the dancefloor every minute of his set. The whole club went nuts when he started spinning, especially during Overdrive (how long was that mix, seemed like half hour?) Def. blew me away...I tried to go up to the DJ booth to meet him but couldn't as there were already a huge crowd around him. Oh, and I have a question...I heard he's coming out with a new song...was that the song that he played near the end of his set (Paranoid, I think)? That song was sick!

He went off at about 5:30 and since the staff closed up all the other rooms, I decided to end the night at that.

Met lots of new people, but where were all the CP heads?? What happened to the meet-up at 2?

------------------

Dolik.jpg

------------------

Friday 7/13 - Eddie Baez Record Release Party

Friday 7/20 - Christopher Lawrence

Friday 7/27 - Jason Ojeda

SOUND FACTORY FRIDAYS: 'CLOUD NINE' GUEST LIST

Email dolik@yahoo.com to be put on the list

Great, I'll definitely be at Limelight to catch him again. I heard them announce something about Limelight but I couldn't make out what it was.

That "start with a kick & bass" track btw is Radium feat. DJ Inside - Universe of Dreams.

------------------

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by dzadza (edited 07-14-2001).]

Originally posted by dolik:

Oh, and I have a question...I heard he's coming out with a new song...was that the song that he played near the end of his set (Paranoid, I think)? That song was sick!

Hypetraxx- Paranoid (Overdose) will be released July 16th.

------------------

[This message has been edited by twilogoddess (edited 07-14-2001).]

Originally posted by dolik:

Met lots of new people, but where were all the CP heads?? What happened to the meet-up at 2?

I was looking for cp people around 2 but didn't meeet anyone.

------------------

-Albert Einstein

Originally posted by twilogoddess:

At 1 point, I was like "fuck PVD".

I love PVD, but at one moment I had the exact same thought.

------------------

-Albert Einstein

WOW .. I guess it was an Awesome night there...

IF JOHNNY VICIOUS WAS THERE>> HE SHOULD HAVE JUMPED ON THE TURNTABLES... and SHOWED PEOPLE WHO THE REALLY DJ IS!!!!

Anybody have any info on when Dj scot is goin to be at limelight???

Peace

j

Night was interesting...place was barley crowded (no problem with me). Kay Cee was good, I agree, Keoki brought it down a bit...but when THE MAN took over the wheelz of steel...faaaget about it! Really nice guy too! I got in right before the break competition started (dolik damn you! I payed $35!) Walked right up to him and thanked him for all of his work. He acted very surprised in regard to the fact that we love his music...talked for bout 45 min to an hour with him...asked him all kinds of question about his music and background...he was more than happy to give me an overview...talked with his girlfriend to...I was actually next to him when JV came over and introduced himself...it was all smiles by the both of them with JV giving him much praise. His set was sick...I was on the side of the booth for a bit but moved to the front soon after...he was smiles the whole time...could have had him play for about 3 more hours. I got there early and my main reason was to see Scot Project...it was a long wait till 4 let me tell ya...i was fading fast..but the second he got on...PURE ADRENALIN...didnt feel tired at all...once he was off...I crashed and split after Thunder in Paradise. My all time favorite DJ experience since Picotto 12/15 at Twilo!

Was hoping to catch some of my clubplanet peeps...to no avail. I was the guy sitting/jumping up and down on the corner of the two railings with visor (to right of the DJ booth). Hopefully on the 17th we can work something up! (dolik...thats your job)

by the way...that Hypetrax track PARANOID was fuckin soooooooooo sick!

cwm29.gifcwm30.gifcwm29.gifcwm30.gif

------------------

Do You??

AIM: GaHuB 69

This information is not intended to cover all possible uses, precautions, interactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drug(s) you are taking, check with your health care professional. This information is provided as a guide only. cwm2.gif

what up tunnel heads, fri was a good nite nice to see vicious n allen sax their. k.c. n scott took the nite 4 me insane sets. hopefully we can keep the mommentum up tonite with elevate 10-12 n myself 12-7. if ant of u cats where there lastnite come meet up at the booth tonite at 2

a nero

cwm42.gif

weird nite.

i agree w/ dolik... the place was the emptiest i'd ever seen it. i was at Tunnel for One Nation and the crowd was like 4/5 times the size. lots more slammin' beats too. i guess chemical warfare is a relatively new crew? or they need to learn how to promote for a club as large as tunnel.

right off the bat, laif from Transcendence (keep an eye our for their Neo party in august) asked me "can you see the evil here? and the normal people don't even know what to do... so they've all dropped E thinking that it'll make it all OK." i looked around, and he was basically correct. LOTS of shade. LOTS of horny people grinding to what they thought to be hip-hop (talking about being out of your mind!). LOTS of drunkies. don't get me wrong, a fair number of cool/sober/here-for-the-music people like myself, but we were not a majority. i felt like i was in for a weird nite.

probably the weirdest/most-disturbing thing that happened to me that night was some tall chiq named Candice stared me down, smiled, and once i smiled back was all up on my $hit. don't get me wrong, it was nice n' all but definately not what i came for. also didn't help that she did all this before even introducing herself. then her friend (who was probably twice as trashed - was having issues even standing, nevermind dancing) sandwiched me and wouldn't get away from me either, no matter how many times i tried to say thanks but no thanks. their shared attitude was calm down, enjoy yourself, etc. umm... anyone hear of a thing called respect? i couldn't possibly have said any more times or any nicer that 1. this type of $hit never happens to me and 2. even tho i appreciate the attention, i don't even know you... to top it off, i found out later from a friend of hers that she's lesbian (supposedly), and that i was basically involved in a make-the-girlfriend-jealous type of headgame. oh yah, and her trashed-friend yelled at me later while i was walking around "keep your hands off my girlfriend!" umm... yah, sure. who the f!@$% was hitting on who? whatever!

that aside, kay cee was AWESOME, and very receptive/surprised to compliments i paid him while keoki was on. keoki was pretty good. dj scot (who i was hearing for the first time) was definately decent (tho a bit repetitive - ya ya it's german minimal hardtrance, it's supposed to do that)... but really my highlite was prozac and dj jo-s down in the jungle room. especially jo-s. too bad he's shipping off to the west coast in a coupla weeks.

in short (like me - i was the very short [4'10"] dood wearing dark grey southpole cargos converted to short-pants and a long-sleeve white shirt) it was a pretty good time but there was SO much SHADE and such a little crowd of not-so-real people that i wish i could have spent $15 not $30.

i just woke up from complacent's rgb event.

(www.complacent.org/rgb) - that was 100 times better, and was only $9. not one ounce of shade, just love and art. very awesome.

Thehacker: Were U the small guy handing out Moby trading cards in the Nu room????

not moby trading cards, but yes.

[it was keoki]

crusty-old pic, but good for positive ID...

kpg.gif

were you the one standing just outside the ice room? like in the tiled room/hallway (actually the bathroom) that leads to it...

... uh ... re-read your post (was too quick to reply wink.gif ... is the Nu room the new name for the ice room? it was the room with the hardcore goin' on? you were in a group of three/four friends i all gave cards to, i think...

Well I really thought the party sucked imo...the highlight of the night was scot project and the dj after him...but b4 that...the music was awful, not my type of music. If it wasnt for scott project, it would of been a waste of money.

------------------

aim: amafrk1

Originally posted by foxyroxy20:

Well I really thought the party sucked imo...the highlight of the night was scot project and the dj after him...but b4 that...the music was awful, not my type of music. If it wasnt for scott project, it would of been a waste of money.

aww, come on. kay cee was GOOD. he came on b4 keoki, like on the main floor, around 2:00 to 3:00 am. good good stuff.

Originally posted by thehacker:

not moby trading cards, but yes.

[it was keoki]

kpg.gif

were you the one standing just outside the ice room? like in the tiled room/hallway (actually the bathroom) that leads to it...

My bad...Keoki cards. Nah, I was standing up against the bar w/a girl & guy in the room next to the bathroom. We spoke for a few.

I agree, if Scot Project wasn't there it woulda been a waste of $. Scot was the ONLY reason I went.

------------------

My legs are dead. I've never been this sore from dancing before. Barely made it to the train station this morning.

------------------

-Albert Einstein

My bad...Keoki cards. Nah, I was standing up against the bar w/a girl & guy in the room next to the bathroom. We spoke for a few.

yep, i def. remember you then.

i was going on and on about how

the dood from moonshine gave me the

cards thinking they were all different,

but in fact, they were all keoki cards,

and now i was trying to give them away wink.gif

I agree, if Scot Project wasn't there it woulda been a waste of $. Scot was the ONLY reason I went.

'overdrive', though fifteen minutes long

or so and quite repetitive, has to be one

of the best songs out there... LOVE the

syncopated hihats on top of the steady

bassdrum and then the syncopated

low/mid tom fills... (i also produce,

so it was like i was in skool during

his whole set wink.gif

Originally posted by dzadza:

My legs are dead. I've never been this sore from dancing before. Barely made it to the train station this morning.

My feet were killing me all saturday. To top it all off...I was teetering around in 5" heels on sat night. I'm friggin crippled today...limping.

------------------

Archived