Clubplanet Nightlife Community

No more Essential Festivals

The end of the Essential Festival

Last updated 17 October 2002

After a pretty disasterous year the company behind the Essential Festivals has folded.

Not many people turned up for the Bristol event in May, and a number of bands dropped out of the Rock Day, much to the anger of fans who weren't offered refunds. Then the London event was cancelled altogether.

Essential Entertainments now owe an estimated £450,000, and some of that to fans who bought tickets for the London festival in Hackney Marshes that never happened.

The festival started off as a small event at Sussex University in Brighton in the early 1990s, and became one of the UK's biggest independent music weekends.

A previous company set up to run the festival, Essential Music Festivals, also folded in 1997.

I went to the event in Bristol and I have to say that I came away bitterly disappointed.

The line-ups were all wrong, there were cancellations and in general it was extremely poorly organised.

Naturally, I cannot say I am happy for all the creditors that are still owed money by the company, but I am relieved to note that companies that fail to deliver are made to close rather than allowed to continue taking people's money without coming up with the goods.