Clubplanet Nightlife Community
Sign in to follow this  
sassa

Iraq Grants Amnesty to All Prisoners

Iraq grants amnesty to all prisoners

Saddam’s show of thanks after winning 100 percent of vote

Prisoners leave cells at Baghdad's Abu Ghrib jail Sunday after all prisoners in the nation were pardoned except "Arabs condemned or accused of spying for the Zionist entity or the U.S.," according to Information Minister Mohammed Said al-Sahhaf.

BAGHDAD, Iraq, Oct. 20 — The Iraqi government announced an amnesty Sunday for all Iraqi prisoners as a thank-you to the nation for reelecting President Saddam Hussein with 100 percent of the vote.

THE STATEMENT, attributed to Saddam, said the “full and complete and final amnesty” applied to “anyone imprisoned or arrested for political or any other reasons.” It was read on television by Information Minister Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhafa.

Those convicted of murder, the statement said, would only be released if the victims’ families agreed and those convicted of theft would have to work out a way to repay their victims before being released. Soldiers accused of desertion and those awaiting execution of their death sentences were included.

Iraqi television showed men leaving a prison carrying their belongings in plastic shopping bags and chanting: “We sacrifice our blood and souls for Saddam.”

The release comes as the Iraqi government tries to rally domestic and international support in the face of U.S. determination to topple it.

Later, Interior Minister Mahmoud Diab al-Ahmed was seen supervising the release. Some prisoners were heard pledging not to commit any crimes in the future and others said they were “ready to defend Iraq and the great leader.”

A BIG ‘THANK YOU’

The amnesty was intended to thank the Iraqi people for their support of Saddam, who claimed a 100-percent ‘yes’ vote in a presidential referendum last week, the statement said.

“It’s a unanimity that other nations are incapable of achieving and it is unparalleled, but it is a great truth and came from this faithful people at this time,” the statement said. “The referendum honored us before the whole world.”

As al-Sahhafa completed his statement, Iraqi television switched to file footage of Iraqis celebrating Saddam’s elections victory, chanting his name and pledging support.

SOME SCOFF AT VOTE

Iraqi exiles and the United States scoffed at the vote and the reported results. Saddam was the only candidate and Iraqis were asked to vote “yes” or “no” on whether he should serve another seven-year term.

In a country where dissidents face torture or death, according to exiles and international human rights groups, assessing voters’ sincerity is difficult.

President Bush has called for Saddam to be toppled, accusing him of stockpiling weapons of mass destruction and harboring terrorists. In a speech to the U.N. General Assembly making his case against Iraq, Bush added concerns about Saddam’s human rights record, saying that if Iraq wants peace, it will “will cease persecution of its civilian population.”

The Iraqi regime had “probably the worst human rights situation anywhere in the world ... uses the death penalty, rape and torture as a political tool,” said a British government report on human rights abuses around the world released on Thursday. British Prime Minister Tony Blair has been Bush’s main ally on Iraq.

Originally posted by gmccookny

Yeah, he needs some troops ready for war, and doesn't care about sending in slime to protect himself. That's what this is about :blown:

You got it.... I tell you Saddam is a fucking scum bag.

it's too bad such a sick fucker has such control over so many innocent people's lives. i don't know what i'd do if i was in an iraqi's place, i'd probably either try to kill him or kill myself.

yes, saddam is a fucking scum bag.

Originally posted by sassa

it's too bad such a sick fucker has such control over so many innocent people's lives. i don't know what i'd do if i was in an iraqi's place, i'd probably either try to kill him or kill myself.

yes, saddam is a fucking scum bag.

So now do you agree with should go in after him?

Originally posted by dnice35

So now do you agree with should go in after him?

I don't agree with starting war. Look at China, their human rights record is terrible, do you see the US starting shit with them?

Look at Sudan, where they still practice "female genital mutilation", as the West calls it. Do you see the US threatening to invade Khartoum?

Look at Russia, where mobsters are gaining access to Eastern European weaponry and selling them to Middle Eastern countries.Do you see the US threatening Putin? No.

I agree Saddam needs to be stopped and that Iraq needs to be liberated. I DON'T AGREE with the US using the word "democracy" as an excuse to invade Iraq and topple the gov't. This country is DEFINITELY not a democracy and should not go around preaching to the whole fucking world how to conduct their lives and states.

I think a good idea would be to find this sniper fuck in the DC metro area and send him to Iraq to take Saddam out. Despite everything, I think that the US is capable of hiring mercenaries to take care of a job that would only take 2-3 months tops and would save money and lives in the long run. But no, Bush wants a war...so he can ruin the economy even further, and who gives a fuck if a farm boy or two dies...as long as he can win a reelection in 2004 and practice foreign policy based on his own personal feelings, rather than the national interests of this country.

This is not being a true leader. This is being a shmuck.

Oh boy...... what can I say to that?

I mean, theres no winning with you. We had made such strides I was even willing to take you to the next young republicans convention and you go and throw this at me..... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by sassa

I don't agree with starting war. Look at China, their human rights record is terrible, do you see the US starting shit with them?

Look at Sudan, where they still practice "female genital mutilation", as the West calls it. Do you see the US threatening to invade Khartoum?

Look at Russia, where mobsters are gaining access to Eastern European weaponry and selling them to Middle Eastern countries.Do you see the US threatening Putin? No.

And don't forget about Mugabe and Zimbabwe!