Clubplanet Nightlife Community

TIESTO REVIEW @ Nation

bassboy

He is amazing.

I flew up to LL to see his first NYC appearance, and this was round 2.

He came on at 1, playing some really soft trance, and the volume was turned WAY down. It was almost like a rock show in front of the booth, and he was giving tremendous love for the crowd.

About 45 minutes into his set he started picking up the BPMs and getting harder and more edgy. Then 115 into his 3 hr set he was putting on a fucking tech-trance clinic. He had the whole place by the balls and played a techy set for about 30 minutes. I was loving it.

With a little less than one hour left in his set he dropped Oakie, then he just blasted off. I didn't care where my friends were, I was like 20 feet from the booth watching this guy go. The last 20 minutes he played one of the hardest trance songs I have ever heard (ID?) and kept on brining it back. He was going nuts in the booth, banging his head up and down, dancing, and of course, smiling the whole time.

He closed with a classic, but remixed, and I am telling you I felt like I was in Twilo again, that was how amazing I thought the whole situation was at that point.

Technically, I cannot stress his skills enough. He just pounds out trance as smooth as silk, but has that hard edge to it that I grew up loving in NYC.

Record selection: Well, he could have come out and blasted off right away. I think that the crowd (maybe not the most educated musically) would have jumped up and down to whatever he played. But he definitely came on this tour with a ton of new records that have a techy sound, with a very high BPM.

Crowd: Great vibe, everybody that was there was there to see Tiesto. Nation kept this party very DL, and it was actually thrown the same night as their Goth party, which was interesting.

Unfortunately the place closed at 415 and Tiesto did not come out for the encore that we were chanting for. I think he had time to, but who knows.

Tiesto's greatest asset however, IS HIS PRESENCE. He is so great at reading the crowd. He comes across so humbly.. that you know he feels so lucky. He is a class act, and the resulting charisma of this combination of assets is that the music almost sounds better because of the vibe he creates. It is really something, and it reminds me of Diggers at Twilo during the anniversary.

It's so funny, because I was in London 4 years ago, when I was just getting into this shit and I bought a CD that was mixed by Tiesto and all of my friends back here who were aficionados did not know who he was. I even saw him at Niagra in Amsterdam and had no idea!!

Now he is the shit, and he deserves to be..

Thanks for reading this rant!

Tiesto's greatest asset however, IS HIS PRESENCE. He is so great at reading the crowd. He comes across so humbly.. that you know he feels so lucky. He is a class act, and the resulting charisma of this combination of assets is that the music almost sounds better because of the vibe he creates. It is really something, and it reminds me of Diggers at Twilo during the anniversary.

That's funny, I've talked to several people who have worked with him and found him to be downright obnoxious... :rolleyes:

Then again, he may have gotten his ego roped in for a while...

I was kinda thinking it might be nice to drop in for the Buzz vibe again but I couldn't be sure that would be present without it being a Buzz night, so I went to work instead heheh