Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Democrats should be ashamed of themselfs.

dnice35

Tone of Wellstone memorial generates anger

Ventura blasts 'political rally'

Thursday, October 31, 2002 Posted: 3:46 AM EST (0846 GMT)

Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura salutes during the national anthem at the start of the public memorial service.

MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota (CNN) -- The partisan tone of the memorial service for the late Sen. Paul Wellstone stirred anger Wednesday in some Republicans, political consultants and radio talk show hosts who say some of the comments and behavior were inappropriate.

Democrats defended the nature of the service, but they also apologized to anyone who might have been offended.

Minority Leader Trent Lott, R-Mississippi, was booed Tuesday night when he entered Williams Arena at the University of Minnesota for the service. Scattered boos also greeted independent Gov. Jesse Ventura, who Wednesday lashed out at Democrats for what he called a "political rally."

The crowd cheered loudly for former Vice President Walter Mondale, who announced in a letter Wednesday that he would run for Wellstone's seat.

Some Republicans in Minnesota demanded equal time from the local television stations that carried last night's memorial, attended by a crowd of more than 20,000. But officials at local television stations pointed out that they will cover President Bush's expected trip to Minnesota this weekend, when he will campaign for Republican Norm Coleman.

Vin Weber, a former congressman from Minnesota, lambasted Democrats for what he called a "complete, total absolute sham."

"To them, Wellstone's death, apparently, was just another campaign event," he told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

Dave Ryan, a radio talk show host in Minneapolis, said the airwaves have been full of talk about the service, which featured speeches from Wellstone family members and friends who urged the crowd to remember Wellstone when they cast their votes next week.

"I guess the local stations here were swamped with phone calls from people who were angry because they had been sold a memorial service that had turned into a political rally," Ryan said in an interview with CNN. "And I really thought that was kind of shameful. I really did."

Democrats, who initially dismissed the criticism, later apologized for some activity, but said the event was unscripted and reflected the strong emotions people felt about Wellstone's death.

"We're sorry if some of the comments went too far in a political direction," Jim Farrell, the former press secretary for Wellstone, told CNN.

"The Republicans in the middle of a memorial service decided to call it politics," said Mike Erlandson, chairman of the Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party, as the Democrats are known in Minnesota. "It wasn't politics; it was Paul Wellstone."

Erlandson called the boos "unfortunate and inappropriate," but said the service was "something that was very emotional."

"While it had a little bit of a rally feel, and they were talking about public policy and public policy issues, that was Senator Wellstone through and through," Erlandson said. "I mean, he did not talk those issues for politics; he talked these issues for passion."

The criticism didn't just come from Republicans.

Ventura, who walked out of the service, said Democrats "should hang their head in shame."

"The first part of it I thought was excellent. When Rick Kahn got up, I left the building halfway through what he was doing," said Ventura, who could appoint an interim senator to take Wellstone's seat until November 5.

"I feel used. I feel violated and duped over the fact that that turned into nothing more than a political rally," he said.

Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson, who represented the White House at the service, said the partisan nature of the service did not surprise him, nor did it bother him.

"I was not offended by it, but some other people might be," he said.

This is a fucking shame, I predict this fiasco is gonna cost the Dems the Minn. elections..... show some respect will ya :mad:

Originally posted by dnice35

Its cool though, everyone saw the Democrats for what they are really are. Power hungry pieces of shit

Oh please. Was it tasteless? Yes. Inappropriate? Yes. Wrong? Sure, sounds right.

But if you managed to deduct the collective motive of the Democratic party from that one event, then I'm sure you'll agree that republicans are racist sexist authoritarian militaristic oil-fed twits who knows all too well how to lick the asshole of the rich yet somehow don't know shit about how to fix our economy.

Now that couldn't be an overstatement, could it?

Originally posted by xpander

Oh please. Was it tasteless? Yes. Inappropriate? Yes. Wrong? Sure, sounds right.

But if you managed to deduct the collective motive of the Democratic party from that one event, then I'm sure you'll agree that republicans are racist sexist authoritarian militaristic oil-fed twits who knows all too well how to lick the asshole of the rich yet somehow don't know shit about how to fix our economy.

Now that couldn't be an overstatement, could it?

Well it certainly isn't an understatement. Look what we have running the country?

It's the Racist sexist authoritarian militaristic oil-fed republicans including Bush and the uneducated nitwits who voted for the idiot who should be ashamed of themselves.

Ok for those who didnt notice the title of this thread, I was merly pointing out was the shamefull actions of the Democrats at the funeral service. Im not talking about what the republicans did or have done or will do. You can start your own thread and point those things out if you like. All I'm saying is that wether your a democrat or not, you have to agree that what they did in the senators funeral was SHAMEFULL, it was just WRONG...!!!

Ok for those who didnt notice the title of this thread, I was merly pointing out was the shamefull actions of the Democrats at the funeral service. Im not talking about what the republicans did or have done or will do. You can start your own thread and point those things out if you like. All I'm saying is that wether your a democrat or not, you have to agree that what they did in the senators funeral was SHAMEFULL, it was just WRONG...!!!

AMEN.

Originally posted by bigmahs

AMEN.

Before you go praisin' the lord for Dnice over there. Maybe you should bother reading everything in context, in which case you'll find that what he wrote is absolute BS. While it all started nice and pretty, as criticism of the regional arm of the democratic party, which is great. He soon after threw up this rhetoric:

Its cool though, everyone saw the Democrats for what they are really are. Power hungry pieces of shit

Now, my response to him may be based on a misinterpretation of what he said, when his comments may only have been directed at the democrats in the region. But, is that ever mentioned in that post? No. But does he get to clarify himself? Sure...and so he does.

Democrats are pieces of shit.....

Now, does this sound like he's clarifying his position? Or repeating BS? I thought so. To top it all off, he manages to come up with this post, of which you were praisin' the lord for over there.

If you had even bother to read what I typed instead of skimming it over half-assed, you'll notice that his post COMPLETELY and UTTERLY missed my note of the fact that any generalizations made regarding the dem. party from ONE event is generally untrue and can be easily reversed on any other major political party, namely the republicans. Next time, instead of coming up with BS excuses on what the thread is or isn't about, maybe people will actually work on clarifying what the hell they're saying in the first place.

Hallelujeah! (sp?) :laugh:

Well if everyone would have stuck to the topic, instead of bashing the Reps I would have kept my coments in line with this thread, instead of lashing out on the Dems. Anyways everyone saw how deeply sadden the Dems were over losing one of their own. But I assume all of you justify what happened in that "funeral" right?

Originally posted by normalnoises

This is a real sick thing George W. Bush said concerning the death of Paul Wellstone and the Senate as a whole:

"I would like to express my deep condolences

for the loss of the Senate."

— G. W. Bush

What a fucking idiot.

I fail to see your point buddy..... :confused:

Well if everyone would have stuck to the topic, instead of bashing the Reps I would have kept my coments in line with this thread, instead of lashing out on the Dems. Anyways everyone saw how deeply sadden the Dems were over losing one of their own. But I assume all of you justify what happened in that "funeral" right?

Originally posted by xpander

Point being; All he cares about is control, power and himself. He sees the loss of Wellstone as a good chance for him to regain full control of the Senate.

YEAH AND TURNING HIS MEMORIAL INTO A POLITICAL RALLY IS ANY BETTER.

Even jessie the body was disgusted by the democrats behavior and he is an independent.....

That is the party that you stand for....

Point being; All he cares about is control, power and himself. He sees the loss of Wellstone as a good chance for him to regain full control of the Senate.

Yeah...him, and everybody else in Washington. This is politics, it goes without saying.