Clubplanet Nightlife Community

How To Quit Smoking?

sassa

nine months ago i was smoking about 3 packs a week and now i do not smoke at all. you have to cut down gradually.

best step you can take is to switch to ultra light cigarettes. you'll still be getting nicotine and the gratification of actually smoking something but you wont be harming yourself as much.

then i just stopped buying cigarettes all together even though i would still find myself asking people. gradually the cravings diminished and now i still get them once in a while, but it's easy to ignore them.

smoking is a dirty habit. it looks glam to a 13 year old and so that's how we all get started, but when you grow up you realize it's disgusting.

i didn't use the patch or any pills but if your addiction is that bad, i guess it might help.

Originally posted by bkissa

nine months ago i was smoking about 3 packs a week and now i do not smoke at all. you have to cut down gradually.

best step you can take is to switch to ultra light cigarettes. you'll still be getting nicotine and the gratification of actually smoking something but you wont be harming yourself as much.

then i just stopped buying cigarettes all together even though i would still find myself asking people. gradually the cravings diminished and now i still get them once in a while, but it's easy to ignore them.

smoking is a dirty habit. it looks glam to a 13 year old and so that's how we all get started, but when you grow up you realize it's disgusting.

i didn't use the patch or any pills but if your addiction is that bad, i guess it might help.

when I switched to Utlra lights ~I started smoking Menthol then :eek:

I have been able to cut back though-

now mostly only when I drink

i quit all the time. ill smoke for a few weeks then ill quit for a few. i only buy packs on the weekend and i give away most of the cigarettes because im not really a smoker. i would like to stop smoking completely but i know when i drink, i need a cigarette!! and when i :bong: i need one too. the thing is that if i buy a pack on a friday i will have them till tuesday or something, then i wont buy another pack till friday, if i even buy decide to buy another pack...

Originally posted by somebitch

i quit all the time. ill smoke for a few weeks then ill quit for a few. i only buy packs on the weekend and i give away most of the cigarettes because im not really a smoker. i would like to stop smoking completely but i know when i drink, i need a cigarette!! and when i :bong: i need one too. the thing is that if i buy a pack on a friday i will have them till tuesday or something, then i wont buy another pack till friday, if i even buy decide to buy another pack...

doesn't sound like you're addicted. why don't you stop now before you get there.

and why is it a cigarette feels so GOOD with a drink??? grr...:blown:

Originally posted by joeg

switch to other drugs...

i don't do other drugs, i don't drink either :(

ah....it's getting to a point where i can't walk up a hill anymore without dying for breath, and this is NOT good for me...

thanks for the comments.

sassa

I'VE QUIT A FEW TIMES AND IN REALITY IT'S IN YOUR HEAD. I'M JUST USED TO PICKING UP A CIGARETTE AND LIGHTING IT. I KNOW PEOPLE THAT HAVE TRIED THE PATCH AND IT ISN'T FOR EVEYONE. I WAS IN A CAR WITH A FRIEND OF MINE WHILE HE WAS DRIVING WITH THE PATCH ON, I HAD TO MAKE HIM PULL OVER CAUSE HE WAS A TOTAL WRECK. PERSONALLY, THE TIMES THAT I'VE QUIT HAVE BEEN COLD TURKEY. I JUST SOMEHOW END UP SMOKING AGAIN.

Ugghhh- it's sooo damn hard 'cause smoking is such a behavioral thing. I was never near being a heavy smoker, and I quit even while living w/my ex, who smoked. But gradually it creeps back up on you... a smoke here when you're drinking, one when you're smoking :bong:, one after sex... and if you're dating a smoker, which I always do, fuhgedaboutit. :rolleyes:

The best advice I can come up with is to switch up your routine in order to avoid triggers (bars, clubs, etc)... cut out a few of the routine cigs (ie, lighting up right after getting out of the subway, after a meal, after getting home from work, etc).

Good luck!

I would definetly try the Zyban/welbuterin route.

and since it takes about 3 weeks to fully kick in, I would use that time to cut down, but set a firm date where you become a nonsmoker.

Everytime you want a ciggarette, remind yourself that you are a nonsmoker.

But I would still avoid clubs and bars for a bit....