Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Spree trade options...

brickhouse

Since it's been brought up a few times already, I figured I'd bring it up again, in a new light....

If you were Scott Layden (yeah, I know you wouldn't have signed Doleac or Spoon to those huge contracts), what's the realistic trade you'd try to make, especially considering that the Knicks are already over the cap (and that salaries should somewhat approximate each other, etc etc)?

Here's a couple of options I've thought out....

Scenario 1:

Knicks get:

Jamal Crawford (young, lots of potential, but no way he's getting past Jay Williams)

Fred Hoiberg (overpaid)

Eddie Robinson (Overpaid right now, but has potential)

Marcus Fizer (can score and is 3rd string for the Bulls)

Bulls get:

Latrell Sprewell

Frank Williams (same age as Crawford...more of a typical point, better defender, but much less athletic)

Lavar Postell (the only other cheap player on the Knicks)

Conditional 1st Round draft pick for 2004 or 2005

Scenario 2:

Knicks get:

Calvin Booth (WAY overpaid, but could be good if he stays healthy)

Desmond Mason (really good young shooting guard, just has no shot)

Kenny Anderson (Better PG than the Knicks have)

Sonics get:

Latrell Sprewell

Frank Williams (no matter what team they trade with, they're gonna want Frank....he's young, cheap, and possibly has potential, although Layden still drafted him about 10 slots too high)

2003 and 2004 2nd Round picks (probably will be high enough to still get someone decent)

Scenario 3:

Knicks get:

Elton Brand (his contract expires at the end of the season and Donald Sterling is mad cheap)

Quentin Richardson (ditto, decent player, but Magette has more long term potential, so the Clips probably won't resign him anyway)

Cherokee Parks (overpaid benchwarmer, need to even out contracts and they want to dump him, especially since he's injured for the year)

Chris Wilcox (So there's at least 1 player in the deal whose contract doesn't run out at the end of the season)

Sean Rooks (another overpaid guy who's warming the bench for the Clips, but would easily be the best center on the Knicks roster)

Clippers get:

Latrell Sprewell (they really need a veteran....could be real contenders this yaer if they had one)

Rights to Milos Vujanic (especially a good deal since they probably won't resign Andre Miller and he and Jaric already played together on the national team)

Lee Nailon (personally I love him, but he's the only decent Knick whose contract runs out at the end of the year, and Shandon and Richardson could both play SF)

Lavar Postell (could actually be a good player if the Knicks would play him)

2004 or 2005 conditional 1st round draft pick (Sterling LOVES picks)

Either way, I personally think any one of those 3 would be a good option. For this season, 3 would probably be the best, but after the season is over, it's essentially a trade of a 1st round draft pick and Milos for Chris Wilcox. However, it would actually give the Knicks some size, and a slightly inside track to signing either Brand or Richardson, if they have the cap space.

#2 would also be good, but like someone expressed warlier, I'm not sure how willing the Sonics would be willing to give up Mason, unless they don't think they can resign him after this season. Anderson has a huge contract, but Spree's is much longer than Anderson's and the Sonics are supposedly 'rebuilding'.

#1 might actually be the most viable option. Unlike Seattle or the Clips (if Sterling continues to be a cheapskate), the Bulls actually have a legitimate shot at being a big time title contender before Spree's contract would be up. Also, he could help mentor Jay Williams and Trenton Hassell (who would be a great 6th man, but is lacking as a starter). While it hurts the Bulls on the free agent market, that deal would allow the core of Williams, Sprewell, Donyell Marshall, Chandler, and Curry (and reserves Hassell and Bagaric...none of their contracts are up without a team optiuon before 2006) to gel for the next 3 1/2 years together and become a real contender (no way in hell Rose gets resigned after this year...he's a bigger dick than Sprewell, at least when it comes to team play). If Layden would grow a brain, I think that's probably a trade that would benefit both teams in the long run. Only drawback is that the Knicks are already short on youth and long on salary (which is part of the reason it was so dumb for them to trade Hilario and Camby for Mcdyess, even if he was healthy), and trading away for another draft pick could be murderous if Robinson and either Fizer or Crawford (both's contracts end soom) don't pan out. Either way, making a move is probably better than praying for LeBron James.

One other note: no matter what trade is made, Layden dug such a hole for the Knicks due to his stupidity that they won't be a top-four seed in the playoffs until at least 2006 (when Eisley's, Knight's, and Weatherspoon's contracts end, and only a year away from when Anderson's and Doleac's contracts end). He entered some REALLY bad long term deals with mediocre players, and since nobody in their right mind would take them for that kind of money (and since the luxury tax cap is probably decreasing yearly), the Knicks will be stuck with the team they have for a long long time if they can't trade Spree now. NBA owners know this, and that's one of the main reasons that it's almost a pipe dream to get as good of deals for Spree as the ones I suggested....

brick...your officially my favorite sports threader..i didnt think any1 else gave a shit about basketball as much as me until i met u ...

anyway...im kinda bein biased here..i say bring kenny A home...why not?..but i highly doubt SEA will part with mason..the kid has potential and the rest of the league knows the knicks r dyin to unload Spree.....its just like when Van Exel was traded for NO ONE!!!! from the Lakers..all the skills he had didnt mean squat because of his bad attitude...

being biased once again..but its highly unlikely to happen..the Clips deal would b great...id love to c Vujanic and Jaric together..it'd bring a tear to my eye every night...but i reallllllllllllllllly doubt LA is gona drop Brand..he's the only player theyre actually thinking of committing too...

its a tough situation..but the Knicks gota go for somethin..they cant just let the ship sink..if i was layden..id try every way possible to get Bonzi Wells in the mix...

imagine next yr ....

vujanic

wells/houston

nailon

dyess( maybeeeeeee)

thomas

not a bad squad...i might have to root for the knicks if it happens

Originally posted by ghhhhhost

imagine next yr ....

vujanic

wells/houston

nailon

dyess( maybeeeeeee)

thomas

not a bad squad...i might have to root for the knicks if it happens

Problem with that team (of 6 players listed): 3 Shooting Guards, 3 Power forwards, 0 any other position. While Vijanic will be an NBA point, his game is more like a shooting guard's right now; Nailon's improving his outside game, but he's naturally an undersized power forward, and he only signed a 1 year deal....there's no way in hell the Knicks could have gotten him for that cheap price if the Hornets didn't dump him so late in the preseason. Finally, Thomas is obviously not a center...10 years ago he might have been able to at his size, but he's VERY generously listed at 6-9, but probably closer to 6-7 1/2. Then again, he's still about 2 1/2 inches taller than Spoon, who's playing PF.

I agree that they won't get much for Spree. However, the difference between he and Van Exel, which makes him more appealing despite his attitude, is that he's a good team player on the floor and that he plays defense. Van Exel's big knock at that time was that he was a ball hog (only dished for stats) and wouldn't play D. Probably the most likely way to get something real in return would be to trade him to a contender who needs a shooting guard. Unfortunately, that team doesn't exist, so he'll be stuck around for a while. If cap considerations weren't involved, I'd say Spree for a first rounder would be decent (although Layden would probably fuck up that draft choice too...)