Clubplanet Nightlife Community

1st Napster, 2nd AG, now Kazaa?

djmikedr

The Music Industry needs to do a lot more than just shut down the p2p sharing. Theres no reason why we shouldn't be able to get Vinyl, MP3, or CD easily on the net in a reasonable amount of time and for a reasonable price. Some of these release dates are ridiculous when radio stations and DJs start playing the stuff a month in advance.

Originally posted by mangledx

its an ongoing thing......sooner or later they'll nail soulseek.....and then a new p2p program will pop up, then sooner or later that will be shut down.....it sux

Here's my take on the record industry, I understand exactly what the artists are talking about and in some way, yes it is "stealing music." However, its not our fault that the record industry did not monitor the advances in technology and be the first to capitalize on it by offering music available to download for a fee long before Napster was introduced. Now how the hell are they going to convince consumers to pay for something they've been getting for free? Sooner or later the record industry will catch up, but for now... stock up while you can!

Consumers and technology :aright:

Record industry's stupidity for sleeping on technology :finger2:

If the labels weren't so damn greedy in digging into the artists pocket, cds would be a lot more reasonable. Plus who the hell wants to buy a cd that only has 2-3 good tracks out of the 10+ selections on the album?

The music business today is disgusting, just look at the billboard top 100. 95% of the artists on those charts will not be selling cds 10 to 20 years from now because they will no longer be marketed. Today its not just about how talented you are, it has a lot to do with your look and performance.

Back in the day, a couple of talented dirty long haired musicians (nobodys) got together and worked their asses off aspiring to become rockstars selling out venues. Today you have manufactured and marketed acts like Britney Spears and the gayest project I've ever seen, O-Town! Artists like Pink Floyd and The Doors still sell more albums per month than most of today's artists and Jim Morrison has been dead for years.

House music is a whole other animal, most of the music is released on vinyl, therefore the lack of distribution and revenue often forces many of these small labels to be shutdown. With house music and the like, the marketing is done in the clubs and lounges by the djs who drop their tracks introducing them to the masses. If it wasnt for the djs, the tracks would never make it.

A lot of people mock Louie DeVito for his volume of cds...... ya know what Louie DeVito may not be the most talented dj but he is definately the smartest! Do you think he cares if you dont like him? Hell no, he's rich because he capitalized on the opportunity by assembling a cd of popular tracks for the masses, the general public. Here we are fortunate to have the opportunity to download or trade the most recent tracks available, not everyone has the opportunity to do that so Louie DeVito targets that market and he got rich from it.

Its time the artists take control and form a new distribution network electronically. Its a hell of a lot cheaper to offer a file for download at a small fee than it is for any label to market its artists properly and create packaging, etc. The music industry as you know it is going to go through a lot of changes in the next 5 years. Sooner or later, something will be done about all these file sharing apps. Until then, as I said, stock up while you can!

Originally posted by njdionysus

House music is a whole other animal, most of the music is released on vinyl, therefore the lack of distribution and revenue often forces many of these small labels to be shutdown. With house music and the like, the marketing is done in the clubs and lounges by the djs who drop their tracks introducing them to the masses. If it wasnt for the djs, the tracks would never make it.

stock up while you can!

couldnt agree more...not to mention its popularity ....u dont see mix cd's/or vinyl selling 5 million copies ..... thats why the labels shut down....IMO

Couldn't have said it better myself except I didn't feel like typing all that lol. The technology is there and the market is there for them to do it I still don't understand why they haven't grasped the Internet yet it boggles my mind. Thank god for Satellite Records web site because I can't get down except once every two to three weeks so I do a lot of browsing/ordering on there. But even they don't have EVERYTHING.

thanks for the heads up...

"Here's my take on the record industry" fuck the record industry...we make the motherfuckin music...so lets take over

[edit]we did it cause we love the music

[edit]

[and edit]

what we're going need in the end is a group deadicated to free music...and a site where people can trade files which are not copywrited or else copywrited but still desinated as "free"files

follow me so far?

good cause thats all I got...build our own file sharing app...keep the music free like it should be...and maybe some of those smaller labels will get heard by the right people and we'll still have free dl's in 2069

ps...heres where you sign up for some stickers saying your music is copywrite free

http://www.icomm.ca/macos/

peace