Clubplanet Nightlife Community

More money more problems...

djxeno

U.S. expected to approve $14 billion aid to Israel

By Moti Bassok (Ha'aretz)

Nov. 25, 2002

Israel will submit a request Monday for $14 billion in economic aid to U.S. National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice. President George Bush is expected to quickly approve the request - $4 billion in defense aid. and U.S. guarantees for $10 billion - with minor changes, Israeli sources said.

The sources said the Republican congressional majority would approve the aid within 3-6 months. After Finance Ministry director general Ohad Marani and Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's bureau chief Dov Weisglass submit the request, it will be handled by both Israeli and U.S. officials who will determine the duration of the grant and guarantees, and various technical details. The guarantees will apparently be for five years but it is unclear how the defense aid will be laid out.

Sharon told Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz during a meeting eight days ago with Finance Minister Silvan Shalom, that as soon as the U.S. makes a positive decision on the defense grant, he will consent to some of Mofaz's requests for budget increases. The sources say the grant will allow the government to direct defense spending to growth oriented projects.

Some treasury officials are not pleased with the request for such high guarantees, fearing that some of the money will not be directed to growth projects.

However, sources at the prime minister's office say news of the aid will improve the country's international financial standing, and could encourage both local and foreign investors to reconsider Israel. The U.S. aid will also substantially influence the strategic situation in the Middle East.

Sharon first raised the question of aid in his Washington meeting with Bush in mid-October. The formal request was completed by Marani's staff in the past two weeks, with the explanation that Israel has increased military spending in the past two years because of the Palestinian uprising and the expected U.S. war with Iraq. Last week, Turkey and Jordan received generous American military aid of $2 billion to prepare for the possible war with Iraq.

The request for the guarantees - the option of getting improved loan terms from U.S. banks - is based on Israel's need to stabilize the economy and pull out of recession.

Last week Washington approved Israel's annual military aid of $2.16 billion for 2004, and is expected to approve its civil aid soon.

Originally posted by dnice35

personally I hadnt heard of this til now, but I hope this happens. It will help the Israeli people.

We don't need to be sending money overseas when we have enough problems in our OWN country. That money should be put to use here.

Originally posted by Drunk

We don't need to be sending money overseas when we have enough problems in our OWN country. That money should be put to use here.

Exactly....NYC is facing a 5 billion dollar budget deficit because of the Sept. 11 attacks and its getting no gov't help...Bullshit if you ask me....Take care of your problems at home before helping others....

Originally posted by nycmuzik2000

Exactly....NYC is facing a 5 billion dollar budget deficit because of the Sept. 11 attacks and its getting no gov't help...Bullshit if you ask me....Take care of your problems at home before helping others....

New York is garunteed 20+ billion after 911. Now that the deficit in New York has ballooned to a 1billion short and 5-7 billion in 2003 I can't see the federal gov't allowing New York to go bancrupt. The shortfall is a result of declining revenue due to a falling market and lost taxes from the WTC. As the economic cycle brightens in the future and has, the deficit will shrink.

Now for Isreal, we have an obligation to protect them, without us they would be driven into the sea by their arab neighbors so giving aid at this point believe it or not adds to the stability of the region.

Originally posted by bigmahs

New York is garunteed 20+ billion after 911. Now that the deficit in New York has ballooned to a 1billion short and 5-7 billion in 2003 I can't see the federal gov't allowing New York to go bancrupt. The shortfall is a result of declining revenue due to a falling market and lost taxes from the WTC. As the economic cycle brightens in the future and has, the deficit will shrink.

Now for Isreal, we have an obligation to protect them, without us they would be driven into the sea by their arab neighbors so giving aid at this point believe it or not adds to the stability of the region.

why should the us care about israel? the us has no obligation to israel or any other nation for that matter. sending money to israel will lead to more terrorism here. meanwhile here in nyc homeless shelters and old people centers are being cut back, the public school system is a peice of shit and theres no health care, and prices are rising on everything. i think we should fix the us economy b4 worrying about any other nation, especially israel.

Originally posted by bigmahs

Did you ever stop and think as to what Israel gives us in return? Absolutely nothing....as tony has said before, we need to stop sucking Israel's dick.

Maybe it has to do with the Biblical prophecy that says the nation that protects Israel will be blessed....hmm.....maybe.

I really don't see any other reason as to why we send them money, and if you say that the arabs will screw them over, then so what? We don't give a fuck about the Palestinians at all. Why the Israelis?

-XeNo-

Originally posted by djxeno

Did you ever stop and think as to what Israel gives us in return? Absolutely nothing....as tony has said before, we need to stop sucking Israel's dick.

Maybe it has to do with the Biblical prophecy that says the nation that protects Israel will be blessed....hmm.....maybe.

I really don't see any other reason as to why we send them money, and if you say that the arabs will screw them over, then so what? We don't give a fuck about the Palestinians at all. Why the Israelis?

-XeNo-

im not sure i ever used the words israel and suck dick together, but seriously shouldnt the protection of israel be a united nations thing and not a u.s. thing? maybe im missingsomething but that seems to make more sense to me.

Ok boys gather around for a lesson in politics :

Hers the answer we have all been waiting for. The middle east is an oil rich region. Its predomantly arab region, now by us aiding Israel it stablishes a much needed ally in the region. basically giving us a little more control of the area..... thats my two cents and Im sticking to it.

Originally posted by t0nythelover

im not sure i ever used the words israel and suck dick together, but seriously shouldnt the protection of israel be a united nations thing and not a u.s. thing? maybe im missingsomething but that seems to make more sense to me.

My bad i thought it was you, probably somebody else. My apologies...

-XeNo-

Originally posted by t0nythelover

shouldnt the protection of israel be a united nations thing and not a u.s. thing? maybe im missing something but that seems to make more sense to me.

Damn good idea!! Makes wicked good sense!!

I agree with NYC, DJ and Tony. Ever hear of "family first"? In this case put the money tword fixing domestic problems, such as the deficit in NYC before anything else.

i think that most of societies problems stem from the weakness of the american family and the lack of strong community ties. people move around too much and dont know each other. its not like the old days where everyone knew everyone. kids knew the local cop and talked to them about stuff. neighbors knew each other. the lack of strong family ties increases chances of drug abuse, poor school performance, and bad life choices such as teen pregnancy and violence.