Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bcs Bullshit

nabuc1

Can someone tell me how the fuck does Florida St which is 9-4 and had a horrorable year get a BCS bid over Notre Dame who is 10-2, beat FSU and had an amazing year. That is complete and utter bullshit. That should be ND in the Sugar Bowl.

its called good marketing and contracts. FSU won the ACC (amazingly enuf) and therefore is granted an automatic berth to one of the BCS bowls. Notre dame is an indy.... and they were eligible for an OPen bid, but the BCS took USC over them. smart move since the trojans nailed the irish.

Originally posted by nycchic24

its called good marketing and contracts. FSU won the ACC (amazingly enuf) and therefore is granted an automatic berth to one of the BCS bowls. Notre dame is an indy.... and they were eligible for an OPen bid, but the BCS took USC over them. smart move since the trojans nailed the irish.

I know the reasons why FSU got the bid over ND, but it is still CRAP!!! ND is ranked 9th in the BCS rankings with FSU at 14. There should be no automatic berths in the BCS bowls it should go by ranking. I mean you have teams like Michigan and Penn St. as well who ranked better than FSU who didn't get a bid. The top 8 ranked teams should get the BSC bowl bids PERIOD!!! As far as marketing there really isn't a bigger draw than ND.

marketing = as in locking in the conference championships

i believe. its the ACC, SEC, PAC 10, BIG 10, Big 12 and big east conference champions get automatic berths. then there is the #1, and #2 ranked teams (of course) and then usually 2 open bids.

but hey.. life isnt fair. :rolleyes:

All though I believe ND should have been entitled to a BCS berth, I can also see why the Trojans were chosen over ND.....

See, with USC coming to the Orange Bowl, everyone in their conference gets a piece of the $13 million - where as, if ND won the berth, they keep all the money. So in a way, it's fair.... but from a Wins Vs. Lose point of view, ND GOT SCREWED.

But screw it, the Canes are vying for the Nat'l Tile, that's all that matters....:D

I'll be the first to admit though, if one of my friends comes thru with tix for the Orange Bowl, I'm sooooo there! I went in 1997 and it was a total blast:eek:

Lola:D

Originally posted by lolahotass

All though I believe ND should have been entitled to a BCS berth, I can also see why the Trojans were chosen over ND.....

See, with USC coming to the Orange Bowl, everyone in their conference gets a piece of the $13 million - where as, if ND won the berth, they keep all the money. So in a way, it's fair.... but from a Wins Vs. Lose point of view, ND GOT SCREWED.

But screw it, the Canes are vying for the Nat'l Tile, that's all that matters....:D

I'll be the first to admit though, if one of my friends comes thru with tix for the Orange Bowl, I'm sooooo there! I went in 1997 and it was a total blast:eek:

Lola:D

I'm not pissed that USC got in over ND, they deserve to be there. They are ranked higher and beat ND. I'm pissed over FSU getting a bid. Why bother having this complex ranking system to pick the best teams for the top 4 bowl games when you have automatic berths. FSU has barely any competition in the ACC, so chances are they will always win the ACC so that means they will always get an automatic bid which is bullshit. It should be the top 8 ranked teams go to the BCS bowls.

you mean I-A ;)

please see my old thread on why they dont have a playoff.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

dont you think a playoff system will require more games, equalling to more $$$$$

Personally I think they are just hard-headed..... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by dnice35

dont you think a playoff system will require more games, equalling to more $$$$$

Personally I think they are just hard-headed..... :rolleyes:

could be.. but think about it. each school gets an automatic dollar amt to play in a bowl game. (for exmample, each BCS school is paid $13M win or lose!) if you go into a playoff system, then you are jeapardizing your chance of getting that allotted money. you lose, you only get a fraction of that

plus in ncaa basketball tourney. its the NCAA that makes most of the money and not the indivdual schools.

again, i will repeat its the only sport pro or colege that EVERY GAME COUNTS!

It's 5 conferences giving the rest of Div I the shaft...that's why I can never be a true fan of College football...all the BIG schools play in the big bowls. A mid major school will NEVER get the opportunity to play in a BCS bowl, whereas in college hoops, a team like Kent State can get into the Elite 8 (almost Final 4) because of the winner move-on tourney format.

BCS is a shame and it's filling the fat pockets of a few schools. My 2 cents

ref: link to thread

That every game counts is bullshit. For certain teams all you have to do is win your conference. A team could be 8-5 and still win there conference and make a BCS bowl. While another teams could be 10-1 not be in one of the big conferences and totally get shafted. It's as Spragga stated, the big conferences (SEC, ACC, Big 12, Pac 10, etc..) will always get specials treatment which is why there should be a playoff system, if not that then the top 8 ranked teams should get the major bowl bids. I keep bringing up ND because they are my favorite team, but teams like Kansas St., Texas, Penn St, and Michigan all got screwed. Kansas St is ranked 6th in the AP and Coaches and ranked 8th in the BCS, but they don't get a major bid because FSU won the ACC (which in my opinion wasn't a strong conference this year anyway) that is just wrong.

dood i agree that the ACC is weak (this year and almost every year imo) and honeslty i hate FSU. lol and maybe i am a lil biased for the big conferences and schools (:tongue: ) and i do see where you are coming from with Free Shoes win-loss record (gd pt! )

eh whutever .. i still love college football and you still hate the BCS. and i would be bitter too about losting $11.0M plus!:idea::laugh:

Originally posted by nabuc1

That every game counts is bullshit. For certain teams all you have to do is win your conference. A team could be 8-5 and still win there conference and make a BCS bowl. While another teams could be 10-1 not be in one of the big conferences and totally get shafted. It's as Spragga stated, the big conferences (SEC, ACC, Big 12, Pac 10, etc..) will always get specials treatment which is why there should be a playoff system, if not that then the top 8 ranked teams should get the major bowl bids. I keep bringing up ND because they are my favorite team, but teams like Kansas St., Texas, Penn St, and Michigan all got screwed. Kansas St is ranked 6th in the AP and Coaches and ranked 8th in the BCS, but they don't get a major bid because FSU won the ACC (which in my opinion wasn't a strong conference this year anyway) that is just wrong.

AMEN:clap:

dood i agree that the ACC is weak (this year and almost every year imo) and honeslty i hate FSU. lol and maybe i am a lil biased for the big conferences and schools (:tongue: ) and i do see where you are coming from with Free Shoes win-loss record (gd pt! )

eh whutever .. i still love college football and you still hate the BCS. and i would be bitter too about losting $11.0M plus!:idea::laugh:

I love college football as well, but I have to admit I only watch two bowl games the one ND is playing in and which ever one the #1 & #2 teams are in. Where as college basketball I try to catch as many games as possible. In the past few years I prefer to watch b-ball over football (college that is). I find March Madness to be much more exciting than the college bowls.

march madness is great... college bowls are too numerous i agree.

although as far as basketball...i think most of the talent is riding the pine in the nba nowadays.. but thats a whole other conversation :rolleyes::laugh:

Agree. We can store that topic and pull it up for the NBA draft.

IMO, I think the BCS did some justice by keepin ND out of the BCS, althou it hurt West Virginia at its expense. One, its gonna force ND to join a conference at some point in the near future, which they should be. I dont care about NBC; after this past year, at least 1/3 or more of NDs games were on ABC. So dont give me the TV contract BS. Secondly, after the embarassing loss that ND had at USC on National TV, do you think college football fans want to see ND in bowl and have a repeat of the 2001? Fiesta Bowl in which Oregon St hammered them? I watched that game, and it was the worst matchup to have in a primetime setup. And yes, I hate ND.

As for Michigan, Penn St, Texas, Kansas St, all 4 teams didnt get the job done. Michigan is overrated, and is lucky to be ranked so high IMO. Penn st had a good year, needed to beat at least Iowa, Michigan or Ohio st to get serious BCS consideration. Kansas ST lost to Texas and didnt win the Big 12 North Conference. BEat USC but the above hurt them. TExas lost to OU, and still had itself setup for the Fiesta but lost to Texas TEch. o join a conference at some point in the near future, which they should be. I dont care about NBC; after this past year, at least 1/3 or more of NDs games were on ABC. So dont give me the TV contract BS. Secondly, after the embarassing loss that ND had at USC on National TV, do you think college football fans want to see ND in bowl and have a repeat of the 2001? Fiesta Bowl in which Oregon St hammered them? I watched that game, and it was the worst matchup to have in a primetime setup. And yes, I hate ND.

As for Michigan, Penn St, Texas, Kansas St, all 4 teams didnt get the job done. Michigan is overrated, and is lucky to be ranked so high IMO. Penn st had a good year, needed to beat at least Iowa, Michigan or Ohio st to get serious BCS consideration. Kansas ST lost to Texas and didnt win the Big 12 North Conference. BEat USC but the above hurt them. TExas lost to OU, and still had itself setup for the Fiesta but lost to Texas TEch. Had they won that game, its possible they could have been the big 12 champ.

Sorry for the long rant, but the BCS worked out fine this year. You have 2 undefeated teams in the title game, thats what we as college football fans have been wanting for awhile. All the BCS cares about it pitting BCS 1 vs. BCS 2. Period. WE have it this year, now lets enjoy the bowl season.

Originally posted by jaquan

IMO, I think the BCS did some justice by keepin ND out of the BCS, althou it hurt West Virginia at its expense. One, its gonna force ND to join a conference at some point in the near future, which they should be. I dont care about NBC; after this past year, at least 1/3 or more of NDs games were on ABC. So dont give me the TV contract BS. Secondly, after the embarassing loss that ND had at USC on National TV, do you think college football fans want to see ND in bowl and have a repeat of the 2001? Fiesta Bowl in which Oregon St hammered them? I watched that game, and it was the worst matchup to have in a primetime setup. And yes, I hate ND.

As for Michigan, Penn St, Texas, Kansas St, all 4 teams didnt get the job done. Michigan is overrated, and is lucky to be ranked so high IMO. Penn st had a good year, needed to beat at least Iowa, Michigan or Ohio st to get serious BCS consideration. Kansas ST lost to Texas and didnt win the Big 12 North Conference. BEat USC but the above hurt them. TExas lost to OU, and still had itself setup for the Fiesta but lost to Texas TEch. o join a conference at some point in the near future, which they should be. I dont care about NBC; after this past year, at least 1/3 or more of NDs games were on ABC. So dont give me the TV contract BS. Secondly, after the embarassing loss that ND had at USC on National TV, do you think college football fans want to see ND in bowl and have a repeat of the 2001? Fiesta Bowl in which Oregon St hammered them? I watched that game, and it was the worst matchup to have in a primetime setup. And yes, I hate ND.

As for Michigan, Penn St, Texas, Kansas St, all 4 teams didnt get the job done. Michigan is overrated, and is lucky to be ranked so high IMO. Penn st had a good year, needed to beat at least Iowa, Michigan or Ohio st to get serious BCS consideration. Kansas ST lost to Texas and didnt win the Big 12 North Conference. BEat USC but the above hurt them. TExas lost to OU, and still had itself setup for the Fiesta but lost to Texas TEch. Hhup to have in a primetime setup. And yes, I hate ND.

As for Michigan, Penn St, Texas, Kansas St, all 4 teams didnt get the job done. Michigan is overrated, and is lucky to be ranked so high IMO. Penn st had a good year, needed to beat at least Iowa, Michigan or Ohio st to get serious BCS consideration. Kansas ST lost to Texas and didnt win the Big 12 North Conference. BEat USC but the above hurt them. TExas lost to OU, and still had itself setup for the Fiesta but lost to Texas TEch. Had they won that game, its possible they could have been the big 12 champ.

Sorry for the long rant, but the BCS worked out fine this year. You have 2 undefeated teams in the title game, thats what we as college football fans have been wanting for awhile. All the BCS cares about it pitting BCS 1 vs. BCS 2. Period. WE have it this year, now lets enjoy the bowl season.

No offense...but there's only 1 game I'm looking forward to see...kinda, and that's Miami - Ohio State...Hell, Ohio St. isn't even the best team in their conference and they got in....A TOTAL SHAM....unless you're a die-hard rabid fan...no one cares about the other bowl games...God knows that I don't.